PDA

View Full Version : Made the Jump

MikeDee
07-11-2005, 02:38 PM
Personally, I never really cared to go down the "scientific test road." I've always found it easier and more productive to do my "real world tests" -- experiment, some trial and error, common sense (though some things have defied it quite successfully [much to my good fortune, I might add]), reference some "tried-and-true," "standard" CD mixes (or, rather, masters) -- whatever I feel will help me obtain my desired results at that particular time.

And now, after reading a couple o' threads here (entertained somewhat at first...then, little by little, the l-o-n-g-e-r the threads grew, the nausea began to seep in), I finally decided what I must do:

Upgrade from SAWStudioLite to SAWStudio! :)

Oh, I should mention that when I got on the SAWStudio wagon (with Lite back then), I certainly went into it "blindly." I've found it to be the best way to test any audio software. Once I have the test mixes set up in whichever DAWs I am A/B'ing, I then listen "blindly"...I get all the visual distractions out of the way, and I listen (that is, PAY ATTENTION) to just the AUDIO.

Thus, my result: the SAWStudio engine had (and still has) the best sound TO ME...which is another reason that these "scientific tests" do not interest me...in fact, since they run the risk of skewing my decisions, possibly causing me to prejudge what "might" be better, I avoid 'em completely (or, at the very least, until I'm done listening "blindly"). Additionally, since I'm not running a high-end commercial studio or mastering facility (with expensive high-end monitors, etc.), such tests don't serve any real purpose in my environment. I would be mixing [no pun intended] apples and oranges, not proving anything except mathematical results. And, to play devil's advocate, just because SAWStudio sounded the best TO ME in my environment, what's to prove it will sound best TO ME in a high-end mastering facility? Although I believe it most likely will, I certainly cannot (nor will I even try to) prove it.

Bottom line: SAWStudio is the best audio software FOR ME...whether or not I can prove so. :p

Hey, Robert and Jeanne -- Kudos...thanx so very much for your help! And thanx to you, too, Bob, for this great software [dare I say "art?"] and unparallelled support. :)

Feel the luv...group hug, everybody!! :D

Bob L
07-11-2005, 02:53 PM
Mike,

Thanks much... I certainly appreciate your support.

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
07-11-2005, 03:39 PM
Congrats mike! :)

JKStone
07-11-2005, 03:53 PM
That's great Mike.

Naturally Digital
07-11-2005, 07:46 PM
Feel the luv...group hug, everybody!! :DI'm there! Well said Mike. Congratulations. Hope you enjoy the additional features that the full SAWStudio offers... I know I do!!

Perry
07-11-2005, 09:40 PM
WHooo Hooo!!! Congratulations on your decison to upgrade Mike! Cause for celebration! :) I think you're going to enjoy this a great deal.

And your words are very well put.... thanks for the positive input. I (and I'm sure a lot of others) appreciate it a great deal. If only all could be so positive. :)

And for what it's worth I feel much the same way as you have said here about "scientific" experiments. Interesting to read (sometimes at least) but I would never base my decisions entirely on "scientific" findings... regardless if they are perceived to be good or bad. I like to trust my instincts as well... and my ears... and my own "knowingness".

If I relied strictly on scientific evaluation I'd probably never get a record made.. or if I did.. well... it would most likely be very "scientific".. and dull, with no life... but very "correct" of course. Damn the rules! I really don't care! :p

And.... :D This *is* art as far as I'm concerned in that these are "creative" endeavors that we do... and I think Bob's work with SAWStudio is artistic as well and I don't mind saying so. It's one of the things that sets SAWStudio apart form the pack. Anyone else can think whatever they like... that's their choice.

Also for what it's worth... I recently had someone from the music store here ask me if I thought there was a difference in sound between some apps... because they were hearing a difference and this seemed like a really wild idea to them and they wanted someone else's opinion about it! :eek:

I thought it was quite funny.... and to my ears definitely there sometimes is a difference in sound between apps and to my ears SAWStudio sounds very rich and more pleasing than most. Lots of depth. But hey.. I'm just a working guy trying to get some records made. I don't care to get too far off into these "debates"... way too much energy wasted (in my opinion) trying to make a point. Who cares... right? Just use whatever works for you. I can't remember too many mechanics arguing over their wrenches (and I've known a lot of mechanics!).. that would be rather absurd wouldn't it?

And I agree with Bob about this fact... if someone doesn't like SAWStudio or agree with it's design.. fine... move on to what they do like and let that be the end of it. But of course... those that have a "point" to prove have a very difficult time doing that... or so it seems. :rolleyes: It would appear to me at least that some of these "discussions" are more about causing chaos and upset in the disguise of "helping" than anything else..

Ahh well... let's just keep the creativeness continuing and the rest will work itself out and be of little consequence.

And again congratulations Mike.. ENJOY!!! :D

Perry

Jon Stoll
07-12-2005, 10:14 AM
Congratulations Mike! You now have the best the DAW world has to offer. I could go on further, but Perry did such an excellent job of expressing my sentiments, just read his post again. :)

Regards,
Jon

MikeDee
07-12-2005, 10:17 AM
Hey, thanx for the support and well wishes. :)

Y'know, I will dare say "art." Here's why:

Over time, I can probably learn the math and learn to create complex algorithms to be implemented in, say, an EQ plug-in...ok, there's the "science." Now...how to make it sound smooth, silky, analog-like...hmmm...how to make this "science" sound musical...yep, that's the "art!"

So...yes, engineers and software developers can be artists as well as scientists...it's in the blood as well as in the brain (where, apparently, the left brain ["science"] and the right brain ["art"] no longer simply coexist, but, rather, work and play together as one). I've always felt this synergy, this symbiosis, when it comes to my music and recording.

I dunno...sounds good...looks good on paper...or maybe I'm just schitzoid! :eek: But I'm (we're?) happy! ;)

Yes, Bob, you truly are an artist, as well as a scientist. :cool:

Thanx again, all...Cheers.......

Naturally Digital
07-12-2005, 11:06 AM
I must say that all this talk of "science" and "fact" has really got me squirming over here...

Reminds me of a quote I heard recently...

I don't care about the facts... It's the truth that really matters.