PDA

View Full Version : SAWPRO question

darkraetion
07-12-2005, 04:20 AM
In my sawpro(not sawstudio), when attempting to record a track in an edit list, my other tracks are not playing. They did at one point but now they aren't for some reason. What could be causing this? I've already tried looking through the help and troubleshooting but there is no mention of this problem. Once I click the SRP I hear one hi hat of the 4 count start and then it goes silent. In options my automute is not selected. If anyone knows what it may be and how to fix it, please let me know. Thanx

Les Woollam
07-12-2005, 05:39 AM
Presumably you hear the full track (not just one hi-hat) when playing from the MT? I still have SAW PRO on my PC, so if you can detail your session set-up, I'll try + recreate it here with a view to bottoming the problem.

darkraetion
07-12-2005, 08:16 AM
Ok, first off, my OS is Win98 and am using my onboard audio in and audio out, a pretty basic setup. As far as my sawpro, this is the way it is set:

Under options, this is checked: Soundfile view playback tracking, Multitrack view playback mixer, Gameport switch record=SRP, Auto EDL undo, Auto SRP/Rec link, Display MT entry names, Allow mouse activation of popup, Relaxed record timing, Multitrack soft clipping, Multitrack buffer size changes allowed, (10 checked items in all)

Under smpte/midi, this is checked: Use IQS directmidiTC protocol

Under multitrack, this is cheked: multichannel meter display wrapping

I'm hoping it's one silly checkmark that's causing the other tracks to not be heard during record. The tracks do play when just playing back. Same thing happens on any project I've tried

Bob L
07-12-2005, 08:27 AM
Did it ever play in SRP mode on this system before, or is this a new setup that has never worked yet?

Normal MT playback works correctly... is that right?

Bob L

Les Woollam
07-12-2005, 09:04 AM
Can't see anything in your settings which would result in you not being able to monitor the recorded tracks in SRP mode. Silly question, but I assume your soundcard is full duplex?
I think I'll let Bob take over from here, but from what I can see, this looks to be something 'outside' of SAW.

darkraetion
07-12-2005, 09:55 AM
yeah, it has played back in SRP before. Normal MT playback works

Bob L
07-12-2005, 11:01 AM
Ok... it has worked in SRP... now the next ridiculous question... what may have changed since then in the system? I know nothing.... just my new motherboard and ram and I'm now using this new virus checker and internet watchdog along with my new software firewall... :D

Seriously though... anything obviously new or different?

I'm leaning toward a possible change in the Windows mixer app, since I believe you said its a generic built-in soundcard. Perhaps something is set to affect playback of the wav output when recording is activated in the soundcard... and yes, SRP is actually activating Play and Record at the same time... even before you punch in to record in SAW.

Bob L

darkraetion
07-12-2005, 12:39 PM
Only thing I can think of for a change on the comp was an installation of spystopper, and that has been uninstalled after trial period was passed. As far as the windows mixer, how would I go about eliminating that as being the problem?

Bob L
07-12-2005, 03:07 PM
What is the soundcard?

There was a problem fixed a while back in SAWStudio's engine with some of the soundcard drivers like the Layla where the SRP would only play a blip of sound... I actually had to make changes to the engine to get around those issues.

Is this generic soundcard something that is new, perhaps a different motherboard or pci card? The old one used to work, but now...

Perhaps the problem is the same with its drivers... and of course none of these code alterations have been done to the SAWPro engine.

Bob L

darkraetion
07-12-2005, 03:43 PM
The soundcard is the onboard(motherboard). It's probably dated around '98 or '99. When I go into my multimedia or device properties, it says it is an ESS Solo-1 PCI Audiodrive(it's not a pci slot card, it's what came with motherboard) The properties window says 'Driver is enabled and active' and the 'use audio features on this device' is selected. The same goes for the mixer for ESS Solo-1PCI Audiodrive.

My multimedia properties window has the 'ess audiodrive playback' selected for playback, and 'ess audiodrive record' selected for record. When I go to advanced properties, the hardware acceleration is set to full(right) and the sample rate conversion quality is set to good(left). It's the same for both playback and record. Also, the 'use only preferred devices' is selected

Bob L
07-12-2005, 06:31 PM
Sounds like it should be fine... I'm kind of baffled at what would stop the SRP playback for you.

Does the system crash when you start SRP or simply keep playing silence?

And then can you stop and start again, or is it locked up after that?

Bob L

darkraetion
07-13-2005, 03:55 AM
Keeps playing silence, works like it should with SRP but there is no playback audio. I'm able to start and stop, even tried recording on different track. It's able to record but can't hear other tracks.

Bob L
07-13-2005, 04:02 AM
Look in the Windows mixer app... usually a double-click on speaker icon in the taskbar.

Find the Properties option from the menu and select recording properties.

Click OK and you should be able to see some faders representing the different recording signals... sometimes there are faders representing what can be monitored during recording also... perhaps here or perhaps on the playback properties. See if there is anything concerning wav playback that may be muted.

Bob L

darkraetion
07-13-2005, 04:52 AM
The only way I was able to hear the other tracks was by selecting the wave in the windows mixer under recording, but that ends up recording what's on the other tracks. It still acts as though it is muting playback. I hear the first hihat count and it cuts out. With the way it is setup now(with wave selected in record on mixer) the first hihat is louder then the rest is lower in volume. When I stop recording, it shows what's on the other tracks as being recorded like bleedthrough.

Bob L
07-13-2005, 11:31 AM
Ok... so it still seems then, that something external to SAW is controlling the results you are having...

Perhaps there is a wav playback or monitor monitor fader on the playback properties that is controlling what happens when the soundcard enters record mode. This may allow monitoring without passing the playback signal back into the record signal.

I am almost beginning to feel the problem may be easier and less expensive for you (as far as time consuming) if you possibly consider purchasing a new soundcard designed more for MT recording. There are now many decent low cost multi-channel options on the market that do not interact with the Windows mixer sub system and would get you back to recording, and also most likely deliver higher quality audio at the same time.

Bob L

darkraetion
05-14-2006, 08:05 AM
It has been "four score and long ago" since I've looked into this. I had a problem hearing other tracks when recording and it was ultimately decided the best solution would be purchasing a soundcard supporting MT recording(was using onboard audio before). What I'd like to know are some good PCI soundcards that support MT recording and I have to consider my PC's specs, it is a Win98, 475mhz, 216mb RAM, 8gb hard drive, an older pc. So if anybody knows and can name some PCI soundcards that would work well, I'd appreciate the input. Thanks

Les Woollam
05-14-2006, 09:32 AM
I have an old Turtle Beach Tahitii which you'd be very welcome to.
I successfully ran SAW PRO on it (full duplex) about 5 years ago, but I'm afraid it's ISA, so unless your mother board has an ISA slot, it ain't going to work:)

Pedro Itriago
05-14-2006, 09:44 AM
How bad can a soundblaster live (or lesser) be compared to a mobo onboard sound system? I don't think this would be a bad deal to try.

darkraetion
05-14-2006, 10:29 AM
Hi Les, I believe I have 2 open ISA slots on my motherboard. They are directly below my PCI slots and are a couple inches longer than the PCI's. From the angle I can see them, I see the bottom one is marked ISA2 so I'm assuming the slot above it would be ISA1 but can't see the label of it from the angle I'm looking.

Pedro Itriago
05-14-2006, 10:31 AM
Hi Les, I believe I have 2 open ISA slots on my motherboard. They are directly below my PCI slots and are a couple inches longer than the PCI's. From the angle I can see them, I see the bottom one is marked ISA2 so I'm assuming the slot above it would be ISA1 but can't see the label of it from the angle I'm looking.

Be aware that the PCI and ISA slots that are next to each other may be sharing the IRQ. Just so you know.

Les Woollam
05-14-2006, 12:44 PM
I believe I have 2 open ISA slots on my motherboard. They are directly below my PCI slots and are a couple inches longer than the PCI's.

It looks like the Tahitii will fit your mother board. The Tahitii was originally a Windows 3.1 soundcard, but they did supply Windows 95 drivers which I'm pretty sure will work with Windows 98.
If I remember right, I ran the SAW PRO/Tahitii combination on Windows Millennium. For sure it's not the best card in the world, but, to my ears, considerably better than an SB!

Microstudio
05-14-2006, 01:00 PM
Let me throw this in....

Have you had any upgrades to windows media player? Like the ones that are done automatically. I had an update from Media player screw up things with my built-in soundcard....no sound. I uninstalled Media player and went back to the pervious version.

darkraetion
05-14-2006, 02:04 PM
It looks like the Tahitii will fit your mother board. The Tahitii was originally a Windows 3.1 soundcard, but they did supply Windows 95 drivers which I'm pretty sure will work with Windows 98.
If I remember right, I ran the SAW PRO/Tahitii combination on Windows Millennium. For sure it's not the best card in the world, but, to my ears, considerably better than an SB!

Hi Les, Yes it appears the Tahiti would fit. In all the time I've had this PC I've never needed to use an ISA so I didn't know if I had the slots or not. When you say SB are you referring to Sound Blaster?

darkraetion
05-14-2006, 03:23 PM
Let me throw this in....

Have you had any upgrades to windows media player? Like the ones that are done automatically. I had an update from Media player screw up things with my built-in soundcard....no sound. I uninstalled Media player and went back to the pervious version.

Was the audio problem with no sound while you were recording? My problem is no playback of existing tracks while recording a new track. I can playback what's there regularly but it doesn't do both record and play the other tracks simultaneously. I did get media player 9 some time ago. Can't remember when exactly but might have been among the timeframe that the problem began. I used to be able to record and hear the other tracks before.

Les Woollam
05-15-2006, 02:27 AM
When you say SB are you referring to Sound Blaster?

Yes :)

Let me know if you would like the Tahitii and I can arrange to ship it to you.

darkraetion
05-15-2006, 03:59 AM
Yes :)

Let me know if you would like the Tahitii and I can arrange to ship it to you.

I think it may be the best option. I did try going back to the previous version of Media Player(as another user pointed out) and still had the same result. Of course I would need to give you the address to ship to. Should I do that here or by email? Let me know and I'll give you my email address or vice versa

Les Woollam
05-15-2006, 04:43 AM
I've just sent you a private message so that we can arrange to ship the card to you.

darkraetion
05-15-2006, 05:03 AM
I've just sent you a private message so that we can arrange to ship the card to you.

Just replied to your private message, thanks

Microstudio
05-15-2006, 11:21 AM
Was the audio problem with no sound while you were recording? My problem is no playback of existing tracks while recording a new track. I can playback what's there regularly but it doesn't do both record and play the other tracks simultaneously. I did get media player 9 some time ago. Can't remember when exactly but might have been among the timeframe that the problem began. I used to be able to record and hear the other tracks before.

I do not use my built in sound card for Saw. But I do use it for other things and after I had upgraded media player it effected my built in sound card....it did crazy stuff.....

I would try to upgrade to media player 10 or back to the previous one you were using before you went to 9.