PDA

View Full Version : Cue Sheet Generator?

jeromee
07-12-2005, 09:54 AM
Hey all
I was wondering how many of you use this plug? Is there a real advantage to making my indexes in saw. I have been using the sony cd app and am curious what your feelings are as to whether this is a good complement to SAW. Do you notice better burns doing it this way. I was also trying the exact audio copy app. Thanks for any ideas.
J

TotalSonic
07-12-2005, 10:52 AM
I use CSG for 98% of my Red Book mastering work. I've produced dozens and dozens of commercial production masters using it and all have passed Eclipse workstation pre-tests (to make sure that the master conforms exactly to Red Book specs prior to glass mastering) at our plant with flying colors.

To me there are major benefits to having PQ points and subcodes being set in the same program as you are doing processing, edits & fades. One is in time saved - if you want to make an adjustment to the index points after say, trimming an audio file a little more and adding another fade instead of having to close out one app and go to another to adjust pq points it's all right there in front of you already. But for me the big improvement is that mastering becomes more "holistic" - the sequencing and flow, which includes the index points, is entirely integrated into a single place allowing better judgements and to me ultimately better masters.

I also have the older USP version of Sonic Solutions and also Sony CD Architect 5.2 at the studio - but I've found that both of these are ultimately clunkier and much less powerful than using SAWStudio with CSG for my work (although I do use CDA5 once in a while to do a quick resequencing). At only $50 I consider CSG a bargain and a must have for anyone seriously looking to use SAW as a mastering app.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Naturally Digital
07-12-2005, 11:12 AM
What Steve said. ;)

I use CSG in SAWStudio, import the cue sheet file to Wavelab and burn from there. Works like a charm.

TotalSonic
07-12-2005, 11:17 AM
Just for the record - I'm using Ahead's Nero 6 for the actual burning chores. Nice thing is that you can set CSG to launch Nero 6 with the .cue file you just created automatically. That way you can just hit the enter button to start your burn and the whole burning process is essentially seamless.

Since Nero also does an awesome job with a variety of enhanced CD formats and CD-R and DVD-R data disc backups I think it is very well worth the extra cash for it.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

jeromee
07-12-2005, 11:23 AM
Thanks guys

You seem to indicate what I was thinking. I already have the nero6, so it should work great. Thanks for your time:)

jazzydaw
07-12-2005, 11:47 AM
A nice feature in CSG is if you are trying to put a cue point during the music.
Because of the 75 frame nature of Red Book and the 44,100 samples per second nature of the music, there are 588 sample points within each frame.
CSG will move your assigned point to a frame wall helping to avoid a pop.

James Murphree