PDA

View Full Version : "Trouble opening output device " -- MME

Mitch
07-14-2005, 03:33 PM
Got a Fireface, installed just fine on both my PC and laptop.

Laptop, I can configure for MME drivers. All is peachy. On the tower, ASIO is working, but I'd prefer MME ....

PC, when I select MME, I get the "Trouble opening an output device" error and I can't for the life of me, track down the issue. There must be some device using MME but I cant find it :mad:

I've checked the obvious stuff like clearing all the outputs to "not assigned" except out1 in the dialogs, selected Hi-Perf MM, control panel to "no sounds" etc.

How can I check to see if MME is in use somewhere else ? - No other soundcard installed, so I dont know what could be stealing it ?

Help ? :o

Ludwig
07-14-2005, 04:28 PM
Same thing here.
When installing SS without any plugIns, MME works (most of the times...).
I also tried anything that came to my mind, with no success.
I think that the sonoris multiband compressor was one of the culprits, but also without this plugIn, MME doesn't work anymore. I just gave up and use ASIO.

Mitch
07-14-2005, 08:53 PM
I cant get it to work on my PC, period. I loaded up a single track, no plugs etc. -- There's just something I'm overlooking somewhere ?? -- MME installed just fine on my laptop, so I DO know a little about what I'm doing...(i think) :o

Neal Starrett
07-14-2005, 09:38 PM
Is it possible that your session is set at 16 bit? Since your using the Hi Performance MM which I think is 24 bit,,,or maybe you have a virtual input set to a device along with devise on the MT channel? Opps, I'm wrong about the Hi Perf,,maybe it's in the setting anyways.
niles

UpTilDawn
07-14-2005, 10:03 PM
Niles has the answer, but turned around. Your motherboard soundcard is probably limited to 16bit playback and you may be trying to run a 20 or 24bit session.

You can either change the session resolution to 16 bit when working on the pc, or you can select "WDM 24bit compatible Multimedia" from the Audio driver menu. That'll let you play a 24bit session with a 16bit soundcard.

DanT

Ludwig
07-15-2005, 12:53 AM
No, this is not a 16 vs 24-bit problem. The RME Fireface can play back 24-bit sessios. It's definitely a SS or SS/FF-Driver issue.

Neal Starrett
07-15-2005, 03:21 AM
Ctr/Alt/Del,,maybe see what other processes are running.
niles

MMP
07-15-2005, 04:03 AM
I would try reinstalling the drivers.

MM

Mogers
07-15-2005, 04:46 AM
Hi all

I've had this too with my Fireface - used both with a laptop and desktop. And over various generations of RME drivers and SS versions, 16/24 bit, Hi-performance, non-Hi-performance etc.

MME drivers work some of the time, but eventually (and sod's law being what it is, usually at an important moment ;) ) you get the "Trouble opening output device" message, and then I can't get the Fireface to work again until I shut down and restart SS.

Rather than spend ages hunting it all down, I gave up and switched to using ASIO, where I've never had any problems.

Would still rather use MME though...

cheers
Mark

Bob L
07-15-2005, 07:51 AM
I'm sorry I don't have a Fireface to test.

What happens if you open a soundfile to the SoundFile window and try playback from there... that will eliminate all routing concerns from the MT... does it play?

If so, that would suggest that the driver hooks are fine... next we would need to track down the routing and device assignments set for the MT.
to figure out where the comlaint is coming from.

You might also want to make sure the Fireface is not set as the default Windows playback device in the Control Panel Sounds section... perhaps this is latching the driver in some way and SAW can't get to it... I don't think Windows will use ASIO hooks for this default section, so that may explain why there is no interference.

Bob L

Ludwig
07-15-2005, 08:00 AM
MME doesn't work in the soundfile view neither here. Fireface is not set as a default playback device in windows and nowhere else.

Bob L
07-15-2005, 08:01 AM
Does it play in the Media player if you double-click a wav file?

Bob L

Mitch
07-15-2005, 08:31 AM
At work now, but just before I left, I checked control panel. Fireface Analog 1&2 is listed as the default sound device. With the Mulitface, it used to say "no device installed" or "none" etc. -- How do remove the Fireface as the default device ? Not sure how to do that ?

On the laptop, default sound device is the onboard soundchip. (Fireface w/ MME IS working on the laptop -- Hurray!!)

UpTilDawn
07-15-2005, 08:58 AM
OOPS! Sorry Mitch for my misread.... thought I was helping. :o

DanT

Bob L
07-15-2005, 09:05 AM
If there is another choice in the default devices listbox, choose that... if not, I'm not quite sure how to disengage it completely... perhaps someone else could jump in and help here.

My guess is it might be doable from the registry.

Bob L

Mitch
07-15-2005, 03:21 PM
Thanks Bob and all !

Yeah, there is no way (that I can see) to change what Windows sees as the default sound device. I've tried uninstalling the RME drivers and re-installing....still no go.

I'm not brave enough to go poking around in the registry, so I guess I'm going to have to use ASIO and fire off a shot in the dark to RME (love their products - wish the support was equally as good).

Any XP Gurus out there ? I'm sure there must be a clue in Device Manager if I just knew what I was looking for ?

Thanks all !

kent
07-15-2005, 04:37 PM
1 Adam 12 see the settings at:

Start - Control Panel - Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices - Sounds and Audio Devices - Audio Tab - Top Box; Sound Playback, Default Device . . .

Only those devices that are shown installed in;

Start - Contrl Panel - Performance and Maintenance - System - Hardware Tab - Device Manager - (Click on the little '+' next to) Sound, video and game controllers - List of devices, codecs, and drivers installed

will be available for the choosing in the Defaul Device dropdown box.

Regards,
Kent