PDA

View Full Version : Hardware for Live Mixing w/ SS

andykern
07-09-2004, 12:56 AM
What hardware do I need to use SS as a console replacement when mixing live? I have a P4 laptop.
Thanks,
Andy

Bob L
07-09-2004, 03:22 AM
Andy,

I have built many laptop rigs using the ProStar computers... and the RME Hammefall DSP CardBus with a DigiFace or MultiFace box and a collection of inexpensive ADAT Lightpipe converters, like the Behringer ADA-8000's or Tango boxes. Of course more expensive converters are there as a choice if your ears demand it... but for live use, these should work fine.

Bob L

andykern
07-09-2004, 03:44 AM
Bob,

I see how the Digiface and Berhinger can handle the mic inputs but what about the outputs to the mains and monitors. I would need anolog outs for those wouldn't I? Would that mean one Digiface for inputs and one Multiface for outputs? Will two Cardbusses fit into a laptop? I can't really tell from the picture on the RME site. Could I use an ADAT deck for the analog outs? Thanks for your help.

Andy

Shawn
07-09-2004, 03:50 AM
The Behringer ADA-8000 has 8 balanced line outputs in the back (XLR connection only), so using a DigiFace and 3 ADA-800's will give you 24 channels of I/O.

Shawn
07-09-2004, 04:01 AM
When the SAWStudio virtual console is in use as a "live" console, the only thing I find lacking is a "Control Room/Monitor" section that would allow monitoring and/or soloing input channels/aux-monitor sends/output channels without disturbing the main stereo mix or any other outputs.

andykern
07-09-2004, 04:06 AM
Shawn,

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize the ADA8000 also had an ADAT in. Very cool.

Andy

Shawn
07-09-2004, 04:28 AM
Andy,

I have an ADA-8000 that I use with a MOTU 828MKII and have no complaints, I have not used it's outputs as of yet though because the 828MKII has plenty, at 230 bucks or so I think it's a pretty good deal. :)

Bob L
07-09-2004, 12:18 PM
Yes, there is a virtual Live console spin-off in the works... called SAC... the Software Audio Console... the actual idea that started this whole journey. :)

That console design will be setup specifically for live and recording situations, with more auxes and solo capabilities as mentioned as well as talkback routines and so forth...

Now just to find the time... :)

Bob L

Shawn
07-09-2004, 02:03 PM
Yes, there is a virtual Live console spin-off in the works... called SAC... the Software Audio Console... the actual idea that started this whole journey. :)

That console design will be setup specifically for live and recording situations, with more auxes and solo capabilities as mentioned as well as talkback routines and so forth...

Bob L

Cool news Bob!

I had imagined that except for the added auxes, it might have been done in SAWStudio itself with a controlroom/monitor/talkback "module" that could be assigned it's own hardware output device, which, when monitoring the main mix and soloing an input channel, all soloed signals would be routed only thu this module, leaving all other active outputs running.

And maybe have a dropdown list that would allow you to jump this monitoring module to any output channel "on the fly", letting you isolate and monitor a stage monitor mix output instantly, without needing to navigate the console to that output and hit the solo button, the same type of dropdown list could also be used to assign the talkback signal to any active output instantly, possibly with a simple grouping function so you could assign all stage monitor mixes as a group, and then select the group if you wanted to talkback thru the stage monitors only. using dropdown lists could keep the monitor module down to a reasonably small footprint on the screen and allow fast "on the fly" switching between sources.

Something like this would also allow you to route the main stereo mix back into the computer (via cable loopback, or by using the JMS buss extention for example), so you could easily record a stereo mix of the performance, with full soloing/monitoring abilities, without compromising the any signal outputs.

OK, I'm rambling at this point... I'll shut up now! :D

brent
07-09-2004, 03:44 PM

Bob L

Bob, I e-mailed you directly about this type of thing about 1.5 years ago. I was FOH engineer for Junior Brown (Curb Records) at the time. I ended carting a crap load of Digidesign hardware around, tried the Peavey Media Matrix (which other touring companies have used successfully, but it is too fragile). I will be touring again at the end of the summer. I would love to get ahold of a copy of it ASAP. Let me know!

I see this as a great thing for churches as well, which I provide support for as well. Bring it on.

Brent Handy
HA! Recording, LLC
Tulsa, OK

FOH: The Tractors
Moderator: www.recording.org
Moderator/Writer: www.experiencingworship.com