PDA

View Full Version : OT:Drums on Demand?

trock
07-15-2005, 06:58 PM
I was searching this forum for info on this product

does anyone here use it ?? any feedback on sound, ease of use etc for building songs in the vein of say Goo Goo dolls would be appreciated

thanks!

Bruce Callaway
07-15-2005, 08:54 PM
Hi trock,

I have two of the initial cds of drums on demand and it is great stuff. The recording is good and the drummer is excellent. Real drums made into loops with a wide range of tempos, beats and styles. I have put together a number of songs using these and no-one can tell that is not a "real" drummer. Thats because the loops are of a real drummer.

There are more products since that provide individual drum tracks for mixing. I want to get these soon.

I am not familiar with Goo Goo Dolls but I if recall, they were heavy rock/metal. If so, there are plenty of styles that fit this category.

I recommend drums on demand, it is like having a top drummer at your beck and call (and he doesn't have a girlfriend!).

If you want, I can provide you with a track using DOD.

Naturally Digital
07-15-2005, 09:34 PM
(and he doesn't have a girlfriend!).or spontaineously combust during shows.

Bruce Callaway
07-15-2005, 10:08 PM
or spontaineously combust during shows. Now thats a plus.............but he goes to eleven.....

kent
07-15-2005, 10:55 PM
Life is like an analogy

Kent

P.s. Inform all the troops that communications have completely broken down.

trock
07-16-2005, 12:13 PM
thanks bruce

i would like to hear something if you could. is it easy to do this in SAW? or does it come with an editor like ACID??

thanks for the help

Bruce Callaway
07-16-2005, 04:43 PM
Hi trock, the CDs I have comprise 1 or 2 bar 24 bit wave files ie, loops. I place SSL into tempo mode, set the matching BPM, and then add loops to the MT channel. I slowly build a track generally from a standard beat for the whole song adding fills and other drum loops as necessary. This is probably cumbersome compared to ACID etc but it works for me.

You can add effects as you please. Using varipitch, you can alter the tempo of the loops to match the BPM you are after. This works very well. Newer DOD products provide each individual drum track for each loop. This could make my method of working very slow but you will have greater control.

I have placed a song I put together using DOD at http://members.optushome.com.au/bcallaway/

Leadfoot
07-16-2005, 05:53 PM
Wow Bruce, I have to say, that DOESN'T suck! very nice job, all the way around. I gotta look into this stuff.

Tony

Sam C
07-16-2005, 06:13 PM
Bruce, nice tune!

It may be a bit more difficult using DOD and your method but the results are certainly the same!

trock, in acid, the concept is the same, you just render files after you finish the track. The one thing I do in acid is chop loops. So I might find a 1 or 2 beat loop and invert it, cut and paste it to another 1 beat loop, all in an effort to personalize it. Check out Discrete Drums and Reel Drums too! Very high quality loops.

trock
07-16-2005, 09:33 PM
thanks all

i am also impressed with DOD forum and the support they give, reminds me of bob here. i have gotten responses pretty quick from them, even on a weekend

may have to try them out

thanks

Bruce Callaway
07-16-2005, 11:48 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, glad you like the track. Actually its not finished just yet but it shows how drums on demand can be used.

I agree their forum is good and they are very responsive as well. Definitely value for money.

Carey Langille
07-17-2005, 06:02 AM
How did you get your GTR tones? They are very nice!

Bruce Callaway
07-17-2005, 06:27 AM
Hi Carey, I used a POD V.2 via a Fatman valve compressor then into a Layla24. The POD settings I used for this were based on the modern Marshall, Vox AC30 and the Fender twin models. With the POD, I set the tone and volume controls at 12 o'clock or 5 out of ten most of the time. The rythmn guitar on this track is a PRS custom 24 and the lead is all played on a Stratocaster with Kinman AVN blues pickups. There is also an acoustic guitar in there you can just hear. It just takes a while to get the right guitar sounds.

The Fatman simply thickens them up a bit and they sit better in the mix. On some tracks, I may add some slight comp on the MT channels as well. I find POD sounds can be harsh and thin so a bit of compression can help this without resorting to the EQ. The rest is down to 30 years playing experience. I have always enjoyed getting good sounds when I can (it doesn't happen all the time).

Glad you like it....

trock
07-17-2005, 07:08 AM
Bruce

great song and sound!

that is really exciting to hear that quality on the drums, and overall.

with vol 1 and 2 these are not the multi track cd's so are your drums on just 1 track in SAW??

thanks

Bruce Callaway
07-17-2005, 02:54 PM
with vol 1 and 2 these are not the multi track cd's so are your drums on just 1 track in SAW?? Thanks trock, yes you are correct, I have vol 1 & 2 which is a stereo wave file on one channel. The later editions are multi track versions.

Cheers
Bruce

trock
07-17-2005, 04:53 PM
with how that sounded i am enthused, thinking i would need the multi track (and maybe i will down th road) but that sounds great with just a stereo wav!