PDA

View Full Version : Question about Transferring PT sessions

Bob L
07-17-2005, 12:49 PM
I had to move 7 sessions from Pro Tools yesterday into SAWStudio to start setting up this new production show.

The PT version the studio had was 6.9.

When looking for a way to possibly Save As a PT 5.0 session (to use EDL Convert), we could not find the option in the Save As dialog, or elsewhere in some kind of Export command... is this capability no longer available in the newer PT versions, or did we miss it in the dialog somehow, or is it found in some other section of the program?

We ended up consoloidating the tracks to solid regions and then using the Export as Aiff files option... but the choices there were Multiple Mono files or Stereo. The sessions had mixed stereo and mono tracks... we used the mono setting, but that meant I had to then combine the L/R files into stereo files for ease of use and for track conservation. If we selected the Stereo option, would that have given us stereo files from stereo tracks and mono files from mono tracks, or would the mono tracks also have created stereo aiff files?

There are more of these to do before the project is finished and I'm looking for the best way... I simply want each track as a wav or aiff file in the format that the original track was. I do not need any of the effects or processing or automation... I will set that all up in SAWStudio.

Bob L

Mark Stebbeds
07-17-2005, 01:25 PM
I had to move 7 sessions from Pro Tools yesterday into SAWStudio to start setting up this new production show.

The PT version the studio had was 6.9.

When looking for a way to possibly Save As a PT 5.0 session (to use EDL Convert), we could not find the option in the Save As dialog, or elsewhere in some kind of Export command... is this capability no longer available in the newer PT versions, or did we miss it in the dialog somehow, or is it found in some other section of the program?

We ended up consoloidating the tracks to solid regions and then using the Export as Aiff files option... but the choices there were Multiple Mono files or Stereo. The sessions had mixed stereo and mono tracks... we used the mono setting, but that meant I had to then combine the L/R files into stereo files for ease of use and for track conservation. If we selected the Stereo option, would that have given us stereo files from stereo tracks and mono files from mono tracks, or would the mono tracks also have created stereo aiff files?

There are more of these to do before the project is finished and I'm looking for the best way... I simply want each track as a wav or aiff file in the format that the original track was. I do not need any of the effects or processing or automation... I will set that all up in SAWStudio.

Bob L

Bob...Save Session Copy In (instead of save as), and then select the session format as 5.0. At least this is the way is v6.7.

I did a quick test on the later, and it appears that choosing the "stereo" option whilst "export selected as files" creates mono files out of mono regions, and stereo out of stereo. This was just a "quickie", FWIW. I suggest doing your own test. I'll have a better look tomorrow.....I'm working on my "honey do" list right now...off to the garden shop for special dirt..

Mark

Mark

Mark Stebbeds
07-17-2005, 01:30 PM
I

Just noticed that when you "save session copy in" and select the PT 5.0 option, the file format defaults to SDII, cuz 5.0 (ancient) does not support BWF. However,I would assume that the Cuibano EDL convert would take care of this.

Mark

Bob L
07-17-2005, 04:51 PM
Thanks Mark... I am going to call the studio with this info and have him take a look at the Save Copy command dialog and see if he has the PT 5.0 option there.

Bob L

Rail Jon Rogut
07-17-2005, 09:47 PM
Pro Tools 5.0 didn't have stereo (or multi-channel) tracks.. so have them first split all stereo tracks before using Save Session Copy In... -- as for the alternate Export Regions as Files (Command/Control+Shift+K) have them first export all stereo regions as stereo interleaved then select all mono regions and export them as mono files.

Rail

Bob L
07-17-2005, 11:30 PM
Rail... wouldn't the Save Copy as a 5.0 option handle any stereo file splits to mono... knowing that 5.0 only handled mono files?

Bob L

Mark Stebbeds
07-18-2005, 09:25 AM
Rail... wouldn't the Save Copy as a 5.0 option handle any stereo file splits to mono... knowing that 5.0 only handled mono files?

Bob L

Bob, I believe the answer is yes. When going through the process of "save session copy in" to create a 5.0 session, a dialog box pops up warning of stero/mono and a bunch of other things, like inactive tracks, unbussed tracks, plug-ins, etc.

When you record a stereo track in newer versions of Pro Tools, you are really recording two seperate tracks, with region data indicating it's placed on a stereo channel.

If you look in the PT regions list, you will see a little arrow on stereo regions to drop down the menu to see the individual tracks.

Oddly enough, when I save as a 5.0, and open it up in 6.7, all the stereo tracks are there, regardless of the warnings.

mark

Bob L
07-18-2005, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the info... so far the sessions have translated fine with the manual file manipulation of the exported aiff files... but I am anxious to see what happens with the PT 5 option and the EDL Convert.

Bob L

Mark Stebbeds
07-18-2005, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the info... so far the sessions have translated fine with the manual file manipulation of the exported aiff files... but I am anxious to see what happens with the PT 5 option and the EDL Convert.

Bob L

FWIW, I used the EDL convert demo to convert a SS session from the SS demo into a PT 5.0 session, and opened that in PT 6.7 and it worked perfectly.

Let us know how it goes....My EDL convert demo expired before I had the opportunity to check out the different formats.

Mark

Tim Kepner
07-18-2005, 12:30 PM
If any of you guys ever have time, I'd love to know the exact step by step process you're using with edl convert to transfer to/from ProTools. It might even be helpful to make a file and post it on the SAWStudio Site.

I've tried several times with several different settings in edl convert, but have never been able to get a local studio to load converted SAW files in their PT 5 rig.

I suspect the problem to be on their end, as they aren't as computer literate as most audio types running PT or SAW are. Lack of nuts and bolts experience with the Mac on my end doesn't help.

We haven't gotten as far as trying to transfer one of their PT files in my direction yet. I've also not yet installed any kind of Mac interpreter for such.

On another note: Bob, it's wonderful to actually see YOU ask a question on this forum, and get some help!!!! This is wonderful place - I just wish I had more time to check in and learn, as well as contribute.

Tim Kepner

Mark Stebbeds
07-18-2005, 01:51 PM
If any of you guys ever have time, I'd love to know the exact step by step process you're using with edl convert to transfer to/from ProTools. It might even be helpful to make a file and post it on the SAWStudio Site.

Hey Tim,

My EDL Convert demo has expired, but I remember it being very straighforward.

EDL convert creates a *.pt5 file from a SS .*edl file. I seem to remember a dialog box asking to copy the audio to a new directory or not, but my memory escapes me. That could be somewhere it would fall apart. In Pro Tools, it's a simple matter of "open session" and clicking on the *.pt5 file.

You do not need to have PT v5.0 to open a file created with EDL Convert. You create a *pt5 session, but you can open it with any version of PT above 5.0. That's a limitation of the CuiBono app, not PT.

Mark

Dave Labrecque
07-18-2005, 05:45 PM
My EDL Convert demo has expired, but I remember it being very straighforward.

Hey, I'm no rocket surgeon, but can't you just un-install/re-install the demo? Or is it "smart"?

Pedro Itriago
07-18-2005, 06:58 PM
Is not as straight as that, if the guys at Cuibono did it as they should (which I'm fairly sure they did)

Hey, I'm no rocket surgeon, but can't you just un-install/re-install the demo? Or is it "smart"?

Mark Stebbeds
07-18-2005, 07:56 PM

I assumed it was smart. I'll give it a try.

Mark

Tree Leopard
07-18-2005, 08:28 PM
Resident Rocket Scientists and Others,

I'm being sent some PT projects archived in AAF. It seems I'll be able to open these on Mac using the latest DP update... fine... but.. what me gonna do if I want to fly these over to PC, and bring them into SAW? What might be the most practical solution here?

Andre

Bob L
07-18-2005, 10:07 PM
If the files are already exported as single file per track aiff... simply place them in a folder and use the Library View to reference that folder... select them all in the listbox... place your cursor at zero on track 1... then click on the Library view and press the Insert key... it will create peak data files and place each file to a different track right down the line... start mixing. :)

Bob L

Tree Leopard
07-18-2005, 10:50 PM
Bob - yes, thats fine for consolidated tracks - but this is really a question about reading / translating metadata saved in AAF (Advanced Authoring Format). Might there be some way of doing this? (he asked hopefully). :)

Andre

Bob L
07-19-2005, 01:37 AM
EDL Convert can handle sessions saved as PT 5... or many OMF sessions if the PT rig has the Session Translator option installed.

Many of the session details will translate... but of course not all.

Beyond that, I don't think there is a real simple way to do it... of course, if you followed this thread to here, you will see I know almost nothing about the specifics of the PT interface.

I will leave these questions to Mark and Rail, and any others that may be able to offer some info.

Bob L

Dave Labrecque
07-19-2005, 09:39 AM
Is not as straight as that, if the guys at Cuibono did it as they should (which I'm fairly sure they did)

Howz us pirates s'pose ta make a livin? ARRRRRR...

Pedro Itriago
07-19-2005, 10:27 AM
I don't know. How should a guy who turns into a skeleton on full moon know?

Howz us pirates s'pose ta make a livin? ARRRRRR...

Tree Leopard
07-19-2005, 08:41 PM
Bob - it looks like the current beta of AV Transfer can handle AAF.
http://www.avtransfer.net/ So thats a start...

I've since discovered that one of the big hassles is that after PT 5.0, DigiWeld Inc decided to encrpyt their session data. Hence the v 5.0 limitation in EDLConvert and others, which means we're back to mono SD2 files.

I'm talking with a couple sound editors today about project file conversion between different apps / proprietary DAW systems (PT included), as well as OMF vs AAF - if there is anything I think could be useful for SAW People, I'll pass it on. :)

Andre

Bob L
07-20-2005, 01:19 AM
Conversion of formats will always be an ongoing and difficult process... lots of details that will never really translate from one system to the next.

In the end... sometimes moving just the basic clean audio data is the easiest and best option... then reset the mix in the system you are actually working in and use its features to finish the project. :)

Bob L