PDA

View Full Version : Record Template

soundtrack2life
07-17-2005, 01:22 PM
I have read the manual & played with this feature. I just cant understand it. This is what I think it does . . . . If I name & arm tracks and save a template I could open that file to recall the setup? OK how far off am I? Can someone straighten me out to take advantage of this feature.
Thanks,
Joe

Dave Labrecque
07-17-2005, 01:48 PM
I have read the manual & played with this feature. I just cant understand it. This is what I think it does . . . . If I name & arm tracks and save a template I could open that file to recall the setup? OK how far off am I? Can someone straighten me out to take advantage of this feature.
Thanks,
Joe

From the Help File:

The following sub-menu choices are available Record Template File options:

Open

This option allows you to open a preset Record Template which can then be utilized by pressing the [Ctrl] key and any MultiTrack record button.

Save

This option allows you to save the current last Record Template created by previously [Ctrl-Left-Clicking] the Close button on the Record Window containing a configuration of meter assignments.

Record Templates retain track offset information. If record tracks are not sequential, the track offset information will be applied starting from the current track where the record template is opened. For instance, if the record template is saved with tracks 1, 3, 5 and 6 in record mode, and then the template is recalled starting at track 11, tracks 11, 13, 15 and 16 will be placed into record.

Basically, set up your record configuration the way you want and do a ctrl-click on the meter close button. Then Save the record template. It also saves with the EDL by default. You can't save a defalut record template, but you can save a record template with a mix template, which you CAN save as a default mix template.

To utilize your record template, open the record template file, mix template file or EDL that references it, then ctrl-click on any track's record button. The record config you saved opens up starting with that track and continuing down across the remaining tracks as physically layed out in the MT. E.g., if you have an output track between two of the record-enabled tracks when you saved the record template, opening that configuration from the record template will always skip a track.

Record configuration info saved with the record template includes relative track record-enabled and input source information. I don't think it remembers any related pathing or file info. It uses your default path file setup info in SAW's options. I think.

soundtrack2life
07-17-2005, 06:08 PM
Dave, Thanks I will give this a go the next time I am in my studio. Even though I use SAW Studio almost daily there are many basic time saving features I am missing out on :confused: . I guess it is time to read the manual and go through the help file again. I wish there were more videos showing all this stuff. About 2 weeks ago I down loaded all of them and watched them a couple of times. That was the thing that pushed me over the edge to upgrade from Lite to SAW Studio. Not only did I learn more about SAW I picked up a few mixing techniques from Bob as well :cool: