PDA

View Full Version : THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!!

JKStone
07-19-2005, 02:02 PM
WARNING - The following is a positive rant about this great product...so consider yourself warned.

I can't say that enough. To all of those who led me out of the wilderness over at VSPlanet, to all those who encouraged me during my demo week, and finally to BOB for going against the grain and creating this great product.

I just finished my first project and the process was wonderful. It is two music beds with narration and a 45 minute sermon. All was recorded into a laptop with RME Fireface. The sound is both clear and smooth. I mixed the whole thing on my new headphones and I never thought I would ever consider doing that. (Ultrasones=mobility and instant perfect room). Everything went well and I learned a lot by creating a deadline.(Well, I like to call it a LIFEline but anyway.) I sold my VS2480 and shipped it out last week knowing that I had this and two other songs to do by this Friday as well as a new radio show to start mixing.
That was the smartest thing I could have done. It forced me to get serious about the learning curve. I'm sure that there were many things I will do differently the more I learn, but that is what excited me about this process. I have never enjoyed mixdown before because for me it's usually mixdown, mixdown, remixdown, remixdown.....you know the drill.
The buildmix in SAW and the ease of use with automation allowed for easy changes, painless working, and above all....... "Fresh ears." No more all nighters that end with that great mix only to return to it later and realize I must not have been able to hear a thing by the end because it sounds so bad.
One Regret- I didn't make this change long ago. If your reading this and your on the fence, you don't know what your missing. I feel like a creative musician again. I have total control of my sound but now I'm not feeling like the "sterile equipment engineer" that I was. Yes, it is that much better. I sold 4 pieces of outboard gear on Ebay this weekend and it feels liberating!
OK, I'll stop...but no I'm sorrys. Only, I'm sorry for those who haven't experienced this for themselves.

JK- new SAW fan club member.

AudioAstronomer
07-19-2005, 04:00 PM
Good to hear :) I have my own success story... but Ill be gushing about that after july 31st :)

trock
07-19-2005, 04:02 PM
Great JK

this echoes my thoughts and feeling exactly!

i wonder how many of us there are from the 2480 planet now??

mikebuzz
07-19-2005, 06:13 PM
Killer JK See I told you !!!!! SAW rocks , I'm also from the 2480

LAter
Buzz

PS: Got Trock over here also I believe ?????
:D

Perry
07-19-2005, 06:33 PM
Awesome JK! Welcome aboard the good ship SAWStudio! :)

Perry

Carl G.
07-19-2005, 06:34 PM
My joy was the release from syncing ADATs in the mid-nineties (I called it "BRC Bondage", twas rebellious at times).
From SawPlus to SawPro to SawStudio ... been a dream all the way!
I do outboard monitoring and mic prep.
Welcome aboard the REAL (virtual:)) BOARD!

John Hernandez
07-19-2005, 06:38 PM
WARNING - The following is a positive rant about this great product...so consider yourself warned.

I can't say that enough. To all of those who led me out of the wilderness over at VSPlanet, to all those who encouraged me during my demo week, and finally to BOB for going against the grain and creating this great product.

I just finished my first project and the process was wonderful. It is two music beds with narration and a 45 minute sermon. All was recorded into a laptop with RME Fireface. The sound is both clear and smooth. I mixed the whole thing on my new headphones and I never thought I would ever consider doing that. (Ultrasones=mobility and instant perfect room). Everything went well and I learned a lot by creating a deadline.(Well, I like to call it a LIFEline but anyway.) I sold my VS2480 and shipped it out last week knowing that I had this and two other songs to do by this Friday as well as a new radio show to start mixing.
That was the smartest thing I could have done. It forced me to get serious about the learning curve. I'm sure that there were many things I will do differently the more I learn, but that is what excited me about this process. I have never enjoyed mixdown before because for me it's usually mixdown, mixdown, remixdown, remixdown.....you know the drill.
The buildmix in SAW and the ease of use with automation allowed for easy changes, painless working, and above all....... "Fresh ears." No more all nighters that end with that great mix only to return to it later and realize I must not have been able to hear a thing by the end because it sounds so bad.
One Regret- I didn't make this change long ago. If your reading this and your on the fence, you don't know what your missing. I feel like a creative musician again. I have total control of my sound but now I'm not feeling like the "sterile equipment engineer" that I was. Yes, it is that much better. I sold 4 pieces of outboard gear on Ebay this weekend and it feels liberating!
OK, I'll stop...but no I'm sorrys. Only, I'm sorry for those who haven't experienced this for themselves.

JK- new SAW fan club member.

Hello JK,

Hey, no apologies necessary. Only those who've experienced the ride for themselves can know what we're talking about ;)

I, too, produce radio programs for ministries. SAW is indispensible for this line of work. May you find joy at each new discovery in this thrilling adventure!

Blessings,

Mitch
07-19-2005, 07:12 PM
Cool! JK. Gotta love a good success story!

What model Ultrasones did you get ?

DBenkert
07-19-2005, 07:35 PM
This is a cool story JK...and familiar :-) I also work with a radio ministry and have been using SAW for a little while now. However, I just recently got to start working on a new program where I had to edit down the music bed and make different edits that I was used to. It was a blast!

Thanks for sharing JK - let's keep enjoying the ride, eh?

------------------------
David
Walk in the Word
www.walkintheword.com

JKStone
07-19-2005, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the encouragement.

Mitch, Prosone 650's. They are incredible. I never would have believed headphones could give this kind of spatial dimension.

bcorkery
07-19-2005, 08:25 PM
JK - get used to the fun - It never stops!

Thanks for sharing,
Bill

AudioAstronomer
07-19-2005, 08:35 PM
Why the 650 and not 750 or 2500? I was looking at the 2500's myself just to see if I can make my rig that much more portable (I dont have any headphone i particularly like listening to to mix)...

Carl G.
07-19-2005, 09:34 PM
Why the 650 and not 750 or 2500? I was looking at the 2500's myself just to see if I can make my rig that much more portable (I dont have any headphone i particularly like listening to to mix)...
As mentioned before....
I found the recommendation of Bob, MDR-V6, to be absolutely excellent ... as long as I take them off frequently (I was spoiled by the lightness of the K240M's).

AudioAstronomer
07-19-2005, 09:46 PM
I didnt like them that much... sound was good, but comfort was lacking. Im a big guy with a big head and big hair.

JKStone
07-20-2005, 05:12 AM
The only diff. with the 750's is that the driver is titanium rather than gold like in the 650's. Also, the 2500's I think are "open". I used K240's for years and though "open" does help with ear fatigue I believe it's not good for mixing really. Just my opinion.

Kimbo
07-20-2005, 06:11 AM
Congrats JK. I am also saying goodbye to my Roland 1880 and 1680. SAW simply sounds better. The Automation is great and it will improve my overall production in my studio. Hats off to Bob!!!!

jeromee
07-20-2005, 06:51 AM
Hey JK

I fell in love also but last night I did a session on my laptop with a usb device going in and it was the first time with this setup that I didn't have to do any restarts. My clients couldn't believe how fast I was flickin' and clickin':) and the program never hiccup'd. Samplitude&cubase never did that for me:( I always had sync problems with those programs, but not saw( and not to mention the ultra low latency I got with it.) Until last night I have only mixed wav files from my alesis hd24 and I couldn't believe the ease of recording with saw. I too feel that my money was well spent with my purchase of saw. Now I have to save up a little more cabbage for saw lite:D
Thank you Bob for releasing basic, allowing us beginners to get our feet wet;)
J

Les Woollam
07-20-2005, 08:54 AM
The more you discover about SS, the more fun it becomes.
As with any software, you're bound to have times when you think 'How on earth do I do that?' Don't bang your head against a brick wall - ask the people on this forum. . . they're a good bunch of guys and will always go the extra mile to help :)
Also, take a look at Jay's SAW pages http://www.hardknee.com/seesawers/tips/ You'll find some good tips + tricks there.