PDA

View Full Version : SAW/Sonar test

swing
07-10-2004, 03:51 PM
I recently bought Production-Mixing-Mastering with Waves. Great and vital info IMO. Well you have to watch out for Waves eagerness to win the Loudness War - but this cd set really boosted my mixing muscles.

My 2 donglefree weeks are over for the plugs that came with the package. So what to do? The fact that my son has occupied my Athlon 2000+ for a marathon LAN game left me with my old IBM 400Mz/192RAM. I simply loaded the 30 stereo tracks of the RnB song into SS without any effects. What a great idea to learn SS trying to emulate the routing with just SS native DSP!

Now here's my finding so far - these 30 tracks without effects took 45% cpu load on Sonar 3 and just 17% in SS! I love this!

Question: Windows taskmanager always report 100% cpu load when Sonar is running - nomatter what it says inside Sonar - and it reports 52% for SS with 17% inside - why is this?

swing

AudioAstronomer
07-10-2004, 04:00 PM
There's a lot of reasons this can be happening. Sonar specifically "reserves" space to launche new processes or threads, periodically giving up some if needed but always having it locked and ready when IT needs it.

As to why SAWStudio does I dont know....

And goodness you'll soon learn to love the built in FX ;) they"re really great

Bob L
07-12-2004, 02:13 AM
The readings in the TaskManager have to do with everything going on in Windows.

SAWStudio's MT Load readout specifically targets the loop time of the multitrack... how long it is taking to assemble the multitrack data and get iit to the soundcard as compared to the actual realtime it takes for the buffer sizes to be called upon by the hardware and streamed out without glitching.

50% means we're getting the MT handled in half the time needed for the next buffer to stream.

Bob L