PDA

View Full Version : RTZ

AudioAstronomer
07-11-2004, 03:03 PM
has it been discussed why there is no "true" RTZ function? I normally just set marker 1 for that before doing anything else... It would be nice to have some sort of RTZ somewhere even if's like a modifier-play function or something :)

TotalSonic
07-11-2004, 03:29 PM
To RTZ all you have to do is left-click in the area directly to the right of the REC buttons on the Multitrack View. You can also press the "Home" key.

You can also set the zero point to places farther down the timeline by hitting "shift-home" and clear this point by hitting "ctrl-home"

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Dave Labrecque
07-11-2004, 03:30 PM
What do you need? You know about clicking between the REC button and left-edge of the track, right? You know about the HOME key, right? What else?

AudioAstronomer
07-11-2004, 03:35 PM
how the bloody heck did I miss that all this time? REad through the manual and there's so much to try and sink in.... i guess some of it misses

blah.

Dave Labrecque
07-11-2004, 04:36 PM
You can also set the zero point to places farther down the timeline by hitting "shift-home" and clear this point by hitting "ctrl-home"

But beware... there are still some bugs that crop up (creep up?) when the zero point has been moved. Some in the MT, some in MWS, if memory serves. After much revelling in the availability of the feature, I've ultimately elected not to use it because of the trouble that it can bring. YMMV. BPN.

Carlos Mills
07-11-2004, 05:00 PM
But beware... there are still some bugs that crop up (creep up?) when the zero point has been moved. Some in the MT, some in MWS, if memory serves. After much revelling in the availability of the feature, I've ultimately elected not to use it because of the trouble that it can bring. YMMV. BPN.

Hi Dave,

What kind of bug are you talking about (in MT)? I have never experience any trouble and I use it all the time...

Regards,

AudioAstronomer
07-11-2004, 05:09 PM
Hi Dave,

What kind of bug are you talking about (in MT)? I have never experience any trouble and I use it all the time...

Regards,

I use this one all the time too...

Carey Langille
07-11-2004, 07:03 PM
Dave and I both found problems with copy and pasting in MWS when the zero bar was relocated. We sent a bug report to Bob awhile ago about it, and we did both reproduce it on our systems. There were timing issues and missed notes i seem to remember. I too choose not to offset the Zero point at this point...

Burkeville
07-12-2004, 12:00 AM
What are you guys talking about? What is RTZ??????? :confused:

TotalSonic
07-12-2004, 12:41 AM
RTZ is a word left over from good old analog reel days - which used to have buttons on the remotes to rewind you back to a specific spot at the start of the tape.

It means "Return To Zero"

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Bob L
07-12-2004, 01:50 AM
There is a problem with relocating the zero position in the MWS when there are tempo changes along the timeline... no tempo changes, then its ok...

I am working on it, but the fix is still eluding me.

Bob L

Dave Labrecque
07-12-2004, 03:47 PM
What kind of bug are you talking about (in MT)?
Carey and Bob covered it for MWS, I think. In the MT -- actually, in the SF view -- the time readout follows the MT's Zero Locate Point setting, which I think should be fixed.

I think I also wanted the Set Zero Locate Point feature to work for SMPTE/MTC mode as well as the other three, which it doesn't by design.

Carlos Mills
07-12-2004, 06:07 PM
Carey and Bob covered it for MWS, I think. In the MT -- actually, in the SF view -- the time readout follows the MT's Zero Locate Point setting, which I think should be fixed.

I see... yes, I've seen this one and I agree with you.

I think I also wanted the Set Zero Locate Point feature to work for SMPTE/MTC mode as well as the other three, which it doesn't by design.

Although I haven't been using SMPTE/MTC for a long time, I think this is a quite reasonable wish...

Naturally Digital
12-07-2004, 01:08 PM
Hi,

I don't know if this is related or not but I'm working on an EDL where I set the zero locate point way ahead in the timeline. (after the soundcheck ;) )

I noticed that when I buildmix to a soundfile (from a marked range that is after the ZLP), the timeline in the soundfile view shows the dashes without any timeline info. If I hit the home key, the cursor jumps to the end of the soundfile.

Not a major problem for me, just wondering if this is by design?

Thanks,
Dave.

Bob L
12-07-2004, 04:57 PM
The Home key jumps to the newe zero locate position. The dashes in the timeline display that you are before the new zero position.

Bob L

Dave Labrecque
12-07-2004, 07:29 PM
Bob,

This is what I was pointing out earlier; the Sound File View shouldn't have the new zero position follow the MT's, should it? Maybe I'm missing something; what would this be used for? It's only caused problems in the sound file view for me (like Dave describes here).

Thanks.

Bob L
12-07-2004, 09:50 PM
Dave,

I know you have mentioned wanting a different SF zero locate point than the MT... I have put that on the todo list, but it just has not found its way into the software as of yet. :)

Bob L

Naturally Digital
12-07-2004, 10:07 PM
The Home key jumps to the new zero locate position.
Uh, well I beg to differ... :p LOL!

In all seriousness though, I guess there is an intimate link between the MT and the Soundfile view as regards this ZLP(?) Perhaps it can't be avoided.

In my situation, the EDL MT length is around 2hrs. I set the ZLP about 15min after the start of recording. My buildmix was taken from a 3min section, about 1.2hrs into the MT.

So, the Soundfile view contains 3min of audio and no timeline info. Also, the time display doesn't work while playing the material in the Soundfile view (for obvious reasons).

I'm guessing it is difficult to break the link between the MT and the soundfile view but it would be nice if the soundfile view worked as normal even when you set a new ZLP in the multitrack IMO.

Was it set up as it is for a particular reason?

Dave.

Bob L
12-07-2004, 10:44 PM
Actually, it was not directly setup this way for any reason except I never caught the interaction in the beginning while creating the engine.

SAWPro maintained two separate locate points... I just never got around to doing it in Studio and never really ran into any problems myself by not doing it.

As I said, its on the list, hopefully I can get to it... but things surrounding the locate points got very complicated in the Studio engine, especially where the MWS and tempo maps and things are concerned... so it does require some in depth research and twiddling to fool with.

Bob L

Naturally Digital
12-07-2004, 11:15 PM
Understood Bob, thanks.

... and FWIW, I'm not going to lose any sleep over this. ;)

Keep on rock'in in the SAW-world! :D

Thanks for creating such a great product! It really is a joy to use.

Dave.

Dave Labrecque
12-08-2004, 10:14 AM
Bob,

Actually, I wasn't hoping for a separate zero locate point for the SF view so much as just not having it take on the MT's ZLP. I understand from what you're saying that it would take some doing to give the SF view it's own, but was hoping it wouldn't be so tough break the SF view free of the MT's ZLP.

In keeping with your philosophy of having the SF view present the "raw" data in the sound file, I don't think I'd have a need for a ZLP there, anyway.

Carl G.
12-08-2004, 03:34 PM
Actually, it was not directly setup this way for any reason except I never caught the interaction in the beginning while creating the engine.

SAWPro maintained two separate locate points... I just never got around to doing it in Studio and never really ran into any problems myself by not doing it.

As I said, its on the list, hopefully I can get to it... but things surrounding the locate points got very complicated in the Studio engine, especially where the MWS and tempo maps and things are concerned... so it does require some in depth research and twiddling to fool with.

Bob L

Bob,
Great! The problem I have is when I set a Zero Locate point in MT, say at 5 minute mark.
IF I record Prior to the 5 minute mark (new Zero Locate in MT) then I can _not_ get any time readouts at all in Soundfile (which is critical for identifying takes in a sound file!!) for all recording prior to the new locate point in MT.
Having them separate, allowing the timeline start from "00.00.000" in Soundfile is critical for identifying takes in a soundfile.
Thanks,
Carl