PDA

View Full Version : Well - I'm on it:) - but I want 2 aux to merge into an new bus?

swing
07-12-2004, 10:52 AM
I'm trying to nail "Take me away" from Waves CD set Mixing .....

The backing vocals has 2 busses which goes into a new bus with a limiter - I just can't get around it.

Sonar 3 has an universial bus and you can convolute yourself into total entropy with that.

I tried to take the 2 returns into a another return - no go
I tried to take the 2 returns to a pink out - no go

what am I doing wrong?

swing

Bob L
07-12-2004, 03:28 PM
If you are just trying to blend two vocal channels into a common bus to use a common plugin, then simply assign the vocal channel modules to an extra mix bus like bus 2... patch the compressor plugin into output bus 2 pre or pst patch and leave out-bus 2 routed back to bus 1, which I'm assuming is your main mix bus.

Now the vocals are subgrouped to out-2 as a submaster... this has fx patched in common to all signals routed to bus 2, and the output of that feeds back to the main mix bus 1 for the final mix.

Of course, you could just as easily use a common compressor patched into a return channel... and use the aux sends to send the vocals in pre mode to the common return channel. In this case, you would want to mute the main vocals from the mix and only hear them as a common signal in the return channel through the patched compressor.

But instead of all of this complexity, which may have meaning in a physical environment... why not just use the virtual console channel compressor on each vocal channel separately and if things need to be adjusted along the way look into the automation features for absolute control.

Bob L

TotalSonic
07-12-2004, 03:39 PM
Swing -
You could also download the freeware SAW native JMS Buss Extension plugin - http://www.jms-audioware.com/jmsbuss.htm

It essentially gives you 8 additional aux send/returns - and allows you to even send from multiple aux return channels back to another single aux or input channel.

Best regards,
Steve Berson