PDA

View Full Version : some questions

ttako
08-08-2005, 09:56 AM
Hi

After so mutch time here (but still just with the SSdemo) I have always more and more questions...

-When I would record audio, there is a choiche of SR and Bit resolution. There is a choiche for "packed" 24Bit or so. What this means? Is it then not a linear PCM data anymore or is this "packing" a lossless packing?

-Is there any possibility (I mean in the future, if its not in the current version) to use libraries for channel EQ, channel dinamics (comp, gate) and whole channel (EQ, gain, insert, phase, dinamics, routing, auxes, fader, pan etc) settings with name like I have it on my Digital console (Yamaha DM2000)? It would make some work easier maybe, (when using same mic, same guitar, or same drums etc.)

Thanks,

Tamas

MMP
08-08-2005, 10:07 AM
Packed is what most apps presently use with 24bits of data shifting position one after another within a 32bit frame, while unpacked stays framed in each 32bit word with 24bits of data padded with 8 bits of 0s...IIRC.

Regards,

MM

Arco
08-08-2005, 10:27 AM
Hi

-Is there any possibility (I mean in the future, if its not in the current version) to use libraries for channel EQ, channel dinamics (comp, gate) and whole channel (EQ, gain, insert, phase, dinamics, routing, auxes, fader, pan etc) settings with name like I have it on my Digital console (Yamaha DM2000)? It would make some work easier maybe, (when using same mic, same guitar, or same drums etc.)
Tamas

You can save settings to your Automation Gallery (View/Automation Gallery). Create the automation which can be any combination of things. Then select the automation. Save it to your Automation gallery for use later.

Fader effects can be saved too. Alt-Right click on the fader and select "save all to file from memory" When you want to recall the settings just "load all from memory"

You also may be able to use a Mix Template file...

ttako
08-08-2005, 10:40 AM
Packed is what most apps presently use with 24bits of data shifting position one after another within a 32bit frame, while unpacked stays framed in each 32bit word with 24bits of data padded with 8 bits of 0s...IIRC.

Regards,

MM
Hi,

It may sound too stupid, but I was not able to understand what you wrote...
Could you explain me this in a not as tech way?
(I mean When should I use packed data, and when non packed?)

Thanks,

Tamas

MMP
08-08-2005, 10:44 AM
For now, always use 24 bit packed data. It is not a data compressed format, and it is the most compatible between DAWs.

Regards,

MM

Bob L
08-08-2005, 11:04 AM
24 Bit packed uses 3 bytes to store the data... unpacked uses 4 bytes for an even DWORD.

Not many if any other programs will read the DWORD 24 bit stored files... so use 24 Bit Packed for now if you are interested in compatibility of the files with other programs.

The full DWORD storage will come into play once we get past 24 bits... but for now, it is arguable that moving DWORDS is still faster than moving 3 bytes which require shift and byte operations inside the cpu.

In Lite and Full, you can save entire channel strips to files, which include all channel settings including patched plugins. Alt-Right-Click any mixer channel and use the Store/Recall option menu.

Bob L

ttako
08-08-2005, 11:14 AM
Thanks,

I now understand.
Thanks very mutch indeed.
I am very near to get my DAW PCs (in one month) and then I will join to the group of SAW users.. (at least!) :D

Cheers,

Tamas

Bob L
08-08-2005, 11:47 AM
We'll be happy to welcome you aboard. :)

Bob L