PDA

View Full Version : WMP and SAWStudio....

bertie
08-11-2005, 04:09 PM
Hi Bob, :)

I just finished a 12 track session for my friend and it sounds fantastic!
But, when i do a mixdown and i playback the song in WMP 10 the sound quality does not make me happy. When i play back the session in SAWStudio and when i playback the mixdown of the session in WMP 10 it sounds not good especially high tones, but it deffenetly sounds different...worse :confused:

Is this the final result?...or the final "real" results can be heard in proper CD Player not PC.

I'm in doubt to make some modifications in my session, but then again i don't know :confused: it sounds very good in SAWStudio as a session and the mixdown in WMP 10 sounds bad :(

Can you please help me?

Bertie,

P.S. I switched off all the enhancements in WMP 10.

Mark Stebbeds
08-11-2005, 05:15 PM
Hi Bob, :)

When i play back the session in SAWStudio and when i playback the mixdown of the session in WMP 10 it sounds not good especially high tones, but it deffenetly sounds different...worse :confused:

Two things to check...

Have you tried playing the mixdown on a track in SS to compare to the session ? Do you have WMP assigned to the same soundcard?

Mark

AudioAstronomer
08-11-2005, 05:35 PM
If different sample rates are used, make sure you set buildmix SRC to highest.

bertie
08-11-2005, 05:53 PM
Hi guys, :)

Thanks 4 your replies :)

Mark, regarding your suggestions: I didn't try playing the mixdown in SS and the WMP is using the same soundcard.

Robert, Sample Rate Conversion is set as "highest" always. The sample rates are the same.

One thing is bothering me :confused:
The "MSC" Multitrack Soft-Clipping....,i always turn this option on because i wanna reach the highest volume when doing the final mixdown with the Levelizer. So, when SS does the mixdown does it use this option during the mixdown or just when we play something in MT. Because when i played the mixdown file in WMP i noticed some parts of the songs are clipping :confused:
but in the session everything is right :confused:
Like i said all my enhancements in the WMP are set to off. I also played it back in Adobe Audition 1.5 and i get the same results like in WMP 10.

Strange....very strange :confused:

Bertie,

UpTilDawn
08-11-2005, 07:11 PM
Take Mark's suggestion and put the built mix on a track in Saw. Listen to it and judge the quality, but also, check the waveform for clipped peaks while you're at it. If you find some, that answers part of your question.

If the Saw build sounds bad, or different IN Saw, then start checking your use of plugins, especially at the output... finalyzer, normalizer... if you haven't set them up correctly you may be getting poor end results without being aware while in Saw.
Make sure that you play your build in Saw on a track with no channel settings.... and expecially, make sure that there's no plugs inserted at the output.

DanT

Also, if it sounds good in Saw and you find no clipped peaks, burn a test cd to play in your home stereo to confirm the quality is what you expect. It's really worth the .35 -$1.00 to burn a test.

By the way, if you have the Levelizer, insert it on the track you have put the build mix and L-click on the blue pyramid to bring up a menu. Choose "Find Peaks" and it will search the entire file and display the first 50 highest peaks in a list, beginning with the highest. If you find more than fifty before the scan covers the entire track, I believe you can move the cursor to a new starting point, or mark an area........ I really don't remember at the moment... and run the scan from that point on.
But if you find fifty clipped peaks, you may want to check your settings and build mix over again anyway.

Bob L
08-11-2005, 09:28 PM
If you payback in the SoundFile view, you will playback raw data with no chance of any processing.

Be sure that the WMP is not samplerate converting or adding any special background effects like wide stereo effects or other dsp type room simulation effects...

Bob L

bertie
08-12-2005, 12:49 AM
Ok guys, i will try and sort the problem somehow :)
I will let you know what was going wrong. Thanks.

Later,

Bertie,

kent
08-12-2005, 10:18 AM
Bertie,
I find that a mix will sound different with every media player out there. That is to say that a file on my computer called 'Mix1' will sound one way in WMP, it will sound different in dBPoweramp, and different again in Winamp, and different again in Quicktime, different for every #^%! software player that exists. Most interestingly is it ALWAYS sounds the best when played from SawStudio. Everyone that I know that has heard SS says the same thing . . . Everyone. (Permission granted to call me nuts if you feel like it but this is my perception)

Regards,
Kent

Tree Leopard
08-12-2005, 07:26 PM
Bertie,

Kent is right - so many media players really do !@#$%^& the sound :) Bob will have to clone himself and write a stand-alone media player for us. Actually, if he did and sold it at $ 19.99 he'd make a fortune :D

Try Foobar: www.foobar2000.org/ Someone recommended this here a while ago.

It can play audio straight out of your sound card. Nice & clean - how it should be!

Ctrl + P / Preferences / Output = here you can choose which outputs you'd like from your soundcard. There are three options: direct sound, kernal streaming (WDM), and wave out.

You can also customize all the key commands, create playlists etc too. There are a lot of other options and plugs:
http://www.foobar2000.org/components.html

At the moment I have a MOTU 828mkII hooked up to this machine. Foobar can play back any sample / bit rate combination no problems.

Hope that helps.

Andre

bertie
08-13-2005, 12:32 AM
Thanks guys, i thought i was the only one that could hear the difference.
Also, i played it back in a proper CD Player with the same speakers and the sound came exactly the same as from SS. :)

Later,

Bertie,