PDA

View Full Version : Gripe - Question

Carl G.
08-15-2005, 08:26 PM
I don't like the way Microsoft copy routine gets halted if there is a hidden file with another idiot box asking me if I[m sure I want to copy the file.

1. How do I get rid of such hideous notices and copy all that I've asked to be copied straight throught till it's finished?

2. If there is a file in use (like user.dat) it won't copy it either, but worse yet...then aborts the copying with some files copied, others not with no idication where it left off. Isn't there a switch that will let me copy all files straight through and skip those that are in use?

UpTilDawn
08-15-2005, 10:54 PM
One of my constant gripes as well. :mad:

antiClick
08-16-2005, 01:51 AM
1. How do I get rid of such hideous notices and copy all that I've asked to be copied straight throught till it's finished?FWIK... No way,
Use DOS for large operations (copy /?) :(

2. If there is a file in use (like user.dat) it won't copy it eitherIn my system, if you try to COPY a file already in use, it gets copied.
It seems like you were trying to MOVE instead of copy.

but worse yet...then aborts the copying with some files copied, others not with no idication where it left off
Say Ctrl+Z, and it'll get fully aborted

I know this info is quite helpless.
Cheers!

SoundSuite
08-16-2005, 01:03 PM
It's a huge pain to not have a skip/resume button, for sure.

While in Windows, there are certain files that are 'locked' and will not copy or move via explorer.
user.dat from the best of my recollection is the registry (or part of it)

You must copy these 'locked' files, outside of windows:
DOS
Hiren's boot CD tools
Knoppix boot CD linux distro

...or of course, if you want to pay:
ERD Commander
Ghost (does the whole partition or disk, not pick and choose on my older version)

Carl G.
08-16-2005, 01:20 PM
You must copy these 'locked' files, outside of windows:
DOS
Hiren's boot CD tools
Knoppix boot CD linux distro

John,
Thanks... I have a Knoppix Boot CD.
I still no logic whatsoever in MS allowing a string of files to be copied and if one has an alert, the copy session is aborted with some files copied, some not and no indication of where it left off.

UpTilDawn
08-16-2005, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Carl: I still no logic whatsoever in MS allowing a string of files to be copied and if one has an alert, the copy session is aborted with some files copied, some not and no indication of where it left off.

Originally posted by Jon: It's a huge pain to not have a skip/resume button, for sure.

Exactly!
A skip/resume button would really solve this problem...
Even when it just sits there waiting for a reply just moments after you left the room to get a snack. :rolleyes:

DanT

Carl G.
08-16-2005, 06:04 PM
Exactly!
A skip/resume button would really solve this problem...
Even when it just sits there waiting for a reply just moments after you left the room to get a snack. :rolleyes:

DanT
Or when you doze off waiting for the 'ol hour glass'....
to wake and found out only the first 5 files of 1700 have been copied :)

RobertV
08-16-2005, 06:42 PM
Carl;

Try Total Commander, it addresses all those issues and more!
No point trying to teach MS new tricks, no matter how much sense it makes.

Cheers; Robert V.