PDA

View Full Version : Wave File Normalize!

bertie
07-13-2004, 01:04 PM
hi Bob :)

is it possible to normalize a wave file in the multitrack without having to use a Levelizer plugin?

Bertie (lifetime SAWStudio user)

TotalSonic
07-13-2004, 01:26 PM
Bertie -
You could use build a mix to a new wav file and then put it on an input tracks and use the built in track compressor (which afaik uses the same compression algorithm as the Levelizer) set to an infinite ratio if you wish to brick wall limit - and then use this along with gain makeup or the fader to get this to a level that peaks at 0dbFs.

There's also a wide variety of peak limiting VST and DX plugins available - some even as freeware (although I've yet to hear a freeware one that can compete with the sound of the Levelizer). Some popular commercial ones are the Waves L2, Izotope Ozone, PSP Vintage Warmer, Scrollworks Peak Slammer, and Voxengo Elephant.

But the Levelizer makes all of this much easier and efficient to use - and it's limiting sounds fantastic. At $100 to me it's a no-brainer - as all competing products that sound as good (but that use a lot more cpu and are not automateable) will run you more.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Bob L
07-13-2004, 03:18 PM
The infinity ratio setting is still not the same algorithm as the Peak Limiting demonstrated in the Levelizer video. This routine seems unique from all other compression techniques I have ever written or heard, software or hardware.

Bob L

Naturally Digital
07-13-2004, 09:07 PM
This routine seems unique from all other compression techniques I have ever written or heard, software or hardware.
Bob L

Sure does! It got me wondering if the concept could be taken even further (scaling the waveform)... say in an offline mode.

Nice work Bob. I'll say this about the video too; maybe it's buried deep in the helpfile somewhere but I never realized the levelizer 'scaled' the waveforms. I thought that was brilliant.

Guess I should have known from listening to it huh? :D

Take care,
Dave.