PDA

View Full Version : Dali Sternisa

ghowardjr
07-13-2004, 02:37 PM
A long time ago, on the old IQS forum, there was a guy that had lots of thoughts and ideas about Saw products. He was particularly known for his obsession with "looping back" a signal from output to input and obsessing over the latency he measured in SawPro. Amazingly, a few months later, he was outed as an illegal user of the software. He subsequently disappeared from the discussion board.

I believe no matter how passionate you are about the product line, there's no excuse for not purchasing SS in some form. When I see people who are obviously heavy users of the product in "non-demo" applications whose user profiles remain as "member" status, I start to get suspicious and angry.

I'm not here to accuse anyone of anything, but I will monitor VERY closely who I answer questions from, etc. from here on out. If it's obvious that they are using the products in a commercial fashion and their profile does not indicate that they own a SS product, I will ignore ALL posts... And I encourage others to do the same.

I'm here to support Bob and his work, and not see his time eaten up answering questions from people who have not even purchased the software... (Of course I'm not referring to "demo" users of the software...) They usually state such in their posts and I'm happy to help make more SAW converts.

End of rant...
Gary (SAW Plus 32, SAW Pro, SSL, SS user and paid for every bit of it...)

TotalSonic
07-13-2004, 03:04 PM
Gary -
Just to give some people the benefit of the doubt - it seems to me most likely that the process of making someone come up on this board as a "SAW(version_here) user" instead of "Member" isn't automatic. i.e. It's possible that they registered under a different email address for this forum than is listed for their SAW registration. Maybe Jeanne can comment on the process of changing the member status indicators and why it seems that a few regular posters who based on their posts seem to use SAW regularly are still listed as "Member" even though they've been on the board a while.

Personally - I've found I've gotten valuable discourse here from both Members and SAWusers and don't feel we should "shun" anyone based on possibly incorrect assumptions.

Having said that - I can't think of 2 harder workers more deserving of a few pennies for every dollar that using a high end tool like SAW allows you to earn in the pro audio market than Bob and Jeanne. RML Labs is not a big corporation! - it's a single person who has devoted enormous amounts of time to creating what I consider is the best PC Native DAW app out there bar none - so every piece of piracy directly hurts Bob's ability to continue doing this in the future. So - to any on this board that believe in what Bob is doing but are still using "warez"- all I have to say is that the buy in price for SAWStudio Basic - or the Good Faith Program down payment for SSL or the full version - is pretty much in anyone's budget - i.e. less than even the cost of a single decent mic pre! - and is a tiny price to pay to see development continued.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Bob L
07-13-2004, 03:06 PM
Gary,

While that sounds like a noble approach, in the long run, alienating anyone slightly interested in the SAWStudio technology is a loss to us all.

I have decided to take the stand that extending a kind and professional hand to even those who have not paid me, as of yet, for my work, will hopefully, in the long run win them over to become honest supporters of the work.

This forum has so far demonstrated some of the most professional attitude on the web and I'd like to keep it that way.

The only way the work can continue is for users of the software to pay for it legitimately and allow me to continue spending the long hours it takes to make it exist and keep it growing in the first place.

If everyone steals it, soon enough I will be spending all my time making a living in some other manner and what they brag about and say they love will soon wither and die.

What say we maintain a positive approach and perhaps influence those who are using pirated software to come to grips with what they know is right in their hearts and find a way to make their copies legal, by their own decision.

Bob L

Oz Nimbus
07-13-2004, 03:06 PM
Agreed. If you're going to make money/music with SawStudio, pay for it.

-0z-

Pedro Itriago
07-13-2004, 03:40 PM
I like the signature with the saw "liniage" :rolleyes: though, I may add it myself

(saw, saw32, sawplus32, sawpro, sawstudio)

Bruce Callaway
07-13-2004, 03:41 PM
It goes without saying that Bob etal should be paid for their products. The price of Sawstudio help separates it from the pack and places in the pro field, not the simple home user software. This gives my project studio more value to my clients. Of course, they are also very impressed with how it works and what it does.

From an economic angle, I want to protect my investment in Sawstudio etc. Illegal and/or free copies being readily available will reduce their value.

Cheers
Bruce

Jeanne Quinn
07-13-2004, 03:56 PM
On that note, I update titles as new member registrations come in if I can identify them by their name and/or email. Many members use handles and alternate email accounts so I have no way of identifying them. If you are registered for any SAW product and wish to have your member status updated, feel free to write to me in private at support@sawstudio.com to let me know how your software is registered and I'll be happy to update your title.

Thanks!
Jeanne Quinn

ghowardjr
07-13-2004, 04:13 PM
I don't assume anything about anyone at this point. It was very clear to me how to be identified as a legitimate SS user when I signed up for this board. Now that Jeanne has further clarified the method, I see no reason why anyone would want to be identified as a non-user if they are indeed a user.

I have intentionally not named any names for the very reason of hoping that people would over time update their profile information if they were valid users.

People like Audio Astronomer are great. We were all witness to his progressive revelation of what a great product the SS family is, and indeed even his progression from SS Basic to SSL.

Hopefully, there are many more who are just like him and will come to the conclusion that "resistance is futile..." to reference one of Bob's favorite shows... ;)

G

ghowardjr
07-13-2004, 04:17 PM
Steve Said... "So - to any on this board that believe in what Bob is doing but are still using "warez"- all I have to say is that the buy in price for SAWStudio Basic - or the Good Faith Program down payment for SSL or the full version - is pretty much in anyone's budget - i.e. less than even the cost of a single decent mic pre! - and is a tiny price to pay to see development continued."

Here, here!!! Agreed...

AudioAstronomer
07-13-2004, 06:34 PM
Ironically I first heard of and used SAW as an illegal version (I only demo'd with a demo, but was sent a full copy of 2.8)! I was looking for a nuendo crack (the only crack I've EVER used) because they have no demo and I wasnt about to toss 1250 at it without trying it at the time.. with no one in town running it as this was a few days after the initial release. And after trying the nuendo "crack" I indeed did buy it and 3 other steinberg products. Ironically after receiving the proper version it did NOT work at all. Only to find out the cracked version actually had a fix in it! Oh well....

There is a lot to be said sometimes for word of mouth even if it's not positive. The man who sent me the illegal version praised SAW so much he made a permanent impresison on me, something that will last me for life really. He constantly touted how great it was and along with Steve's gentle words and patience I eventually found the way.

Might I add this person who will be unnamed had a full Paris system, and many times said of his interest to buy SawStudio when he found a buyer for it. I can tell you he is now a full registered user of SAWStudio and a member of the newsgroup and perhaps this community as well.

I know of 3 other instances of users, one of which is in this community, who used Illegal versions of SAWStudio before purchasing a form of it as well.

Just remember, the people who steal software never intended to buy it in the first place. It's often kids, or hapless adults with little or money who coulndt purchase the software even if cracks didnt exist. The idea of "losing" customers is OFTEN (but not always) nonsense. It's the idea that many people are using "my" product but arent paying.

May I note as well that in my research of warez/pirated software to find Nuendo 2.0 demo, Saw was above 3.0 (somewhere aorund 3.1 I think) and did NOT exist in the warez/pirating community at all. And this is the ONLY commercial software I know of with 0 copy protection. Very ironic.

And to this day I purchased nearly every audiosoftware on the planet (except a few VSTi's) at some point... and Im sure many of you know it form seeing me on registered users forums, newsgroups etc... It's not hard to buy software if you work hard!

mghtx
07-13-2004, 08:12 PM
For the record......

You will note that I'm a "member". I use the Basic demo. I have paid-for versions of Sonar 2 and Cubase SX. A year and a half ago I could pay for all of that and could have gotten SSLite. Right now I can't. Why? It's called "stepson vs. the Law". :) We all make mistakes growing up........some learn the hard way. Anyway family comes first.

And my wife and I just moved from TN to TX and our money is in fixing up the house and stuff. But one day, very soon, you will see me as the proud owner of SSBasic. OH YES! :D

As to my "name", MGHTX.....it's an acronym. MGH....my initials. TX.....texas. I just never felt comfortable putting my real name on the internet. So please don't shun me for that. I LOVE this place. :D You guys and gals are the greatest!! Hugs all around!! :p

canipus
07-13-2004, 09:10 PM
I start to get suspicious and angry.
ghowardjr.

Gary,

Getting angry about such things only impacts you not the rest of the world. It's a wasted emotion. There is nothing YOU can do about illegal copies of software. It's a fact of life. The full version of SAW Studio 3.7b appeared on the Internet within a matter of days of its April release by RML and is still available on ICQ, newgroups, Kazaa along with all the extras - non standard shades, levelizer, reverb and so on. Just be happy that you did the right thing by paying for the product and having a clear conscience. The point has already been made in the thread that most people using illegal s/w wouldn't have purchased it in any case so it's not really the case that Bob has lost any concrete revenue. Anger is just an internalisation of emotions. Just ignore it and get on making music. Be happy!

canipus
07-13-2004, 09:17 PM
As to my "name", MGHTX.....it's an acronym. MGH....my initials. TX.....texas

Ah well that proves it. You're a godamn liar cheat and criminal and have stolen SAW Studio cause my grand mother told me that everyone who lives in TX is an untrustworthy SOB.

......... just a little teasing ... hehehehe :)

Yura
07-14-2004, 12:18 AM
I... It's not hard to buy software if you work hard!

Dear Robert!
So sorry to mention... this is a VERY mistaken thought... You ever don't imagine how mistaken. thoght of the person living in the earth, spreading these thoughts on other nearby planet where conditions are all on the contrary. if you don't interesting in life on the other planet... of course, there may lie a question of the useless of the contacts between different planets. we are just a guests here...

Very regards.

canipus
07-14-2004, 07:37 AM
....spreading these thoughts on other nearby planet where conditions are all on the contrary. if you don't interesting in life on the other planet... of course, there may lie a question of the useless of the contacts between different planets. we are just a guests here...

I've heard of substance abuse Yuri but whatever brain acid cocktail you're on man I've just got to get and try some of your stuff!

ghowardjr
07-14-2004, 08:36 AM
I start to get suspicious and angry.
ghowardjr.

Gary,

Getting angry about such things only impacts you not the rest of the world. It's a wasted emotion. There is nothing YOU can do about illegal copies of software.

There most certainly IS something I can do about illegal copies of software that I use. One is not support the redistribution of it myself. Secondly, I can be selective about how I spend my time helping others seeking support. To any legitimate SAW users and/or prospective demo users, I offer my complete support, when and if I'm able to help. Over time, it WILL become obvious based on the questions being posed as to who is who...

Done talking about this for now...
G