PDA

View Full Version : VST plugin latency?

jeromee
08-21-2005, 05:56 PM
Hey all
I was inserting my voxengo AF tape bus plug onto my drum bus of the console and the drums are echoing. It sounds like a latency issue, but I don't know for sure. I am bussing 9 tracks of drums and 1 bass track to asn2, 10 instrument tracks to asn3 and 4 vocal tracks to asn4. The asn2/3/4 are sent to asn1 as my master channel. I am only using 1 aux channel with the reverberator plug on it and no other plugs on any of the multitrack channels. My cpu load is hovering around 20%. Am I doing somthing wrong? I would have this problem using Samplitude8 when inserting the plug while the audio was running. Once I hit stop and play again the latency was compensated in Sam8. I'm using a 3ghz P4, 512 meg ram and have done Bob's XP tweaks. My buffer is 4 @ 1024 samples and have tried the other settings to no avail. Any ideas? Thanks
J

Bob L
08-21-2005, 06:03 PM
There is no automatic latency compensation in SAWStudio for VST plugs... native and DX plugs do not have the same problem.

The JMS Latency Compensator plugin can be added to the track to compensate for the latency caused by the original plugin.

Or, you can slide the track back to adjust for latency also.

Bob L

jeromee
08-21-2005, 06:07 PM
Thanks Bob!!!!

mikebuzz
08-22-2005, 01:26 AM
Wow I never knew that VST plugs had no latency compensation ????? , how do you determine the latency of a plug ?

Thanks
Buzz

Man I need to listen closer !!!!! :confused:

Bob L
08-22-2005, 01:56 AM
You can mark a small section and build a mix to the next hottrack... then compare... see how many samples late the mix is... then you can use the Latency plugin to compensate.

Personally, I pretty much stay away from plugs that add latency... simplifies everything. :)

Bob L

dhise
08-22-2005, 04:52 AM
The AFTapebus has a latency of 2064 samples. Use the JMS latency compensator and you're all set! As a former samplitude user, the program is pretty much regulated to cd burning duties now, but I can load a vst plug in there to see how much latency it will report so I can adjust correctly in SAW.

-Doug
www.bigbblues.com

Tree Leopard
08-22-2005, 06:51 AM
The AFTapebus has a latency of 2064 samples. Use the JMS latency compensator and you're all set! As a former samplitude user, the program is pretty much regulated to cd burning duties now, but I can load a vst plug in there to see how much latency it will report so I can adjust correctly in SAW.OT: Doug - reckon you could have a quick look at the new Elemental Audio Inspector XL? The numeric read-out for level and headroom is a bit crazy in SAW. Could be just a latency issue. Check back at "new meter plugs". Thanks!

Andre

AudioAstronomer
08-22-2005, 07:34 AM
The AFTapebus has a latency of 2064 samples. Use the JMS latency compensator and you're all set! As a former samplitude user, the program is pretty much regulated to cd burning duties now, but I can load a vst plug in there to see how much latency it will report so I can adjust correctly in SAW.

-Doug
www.bigbblues.com

any reason you havent moved to CSG yet with saw? I personally have prefered it much more than samplitude for cd burning

mikebuzz
08-22-2005, 09:11 AM
So I guess the next ? is why doesnt Saw report latency of plugs ???

I'll have to go though all of my plugs to test them I suppose

LAter
Buzz
:eek:

jeromee
08-22-2005, 10:59 AM
Hey Buzz

The way I understood Bob, is that the native plugs cause no latency or very little. It is only the vst plugs that do not have latency compensation in Saw.

I tried the latency plug from jms but I could hear some weird effects to the audio due to my lack of knowledge in use. I mainly used numbers like 1024/2048/4096... numbers I have seen sam8 tell me that the plug was generating. I guess I will just stay native with my plugs:( I will kind of miss my voxengo AF plugs:eek:
J

AudioAstronomer
08-22-2005, 11:42 AM
Hey Buzz

The way I understood Bob, is that the native plugs cause no latency or very little. It is only the vst plugs that do not have latency compensation in Saw.

I tried the latency plug from jms but I could hear some weird effects to the audio due to my lack of knowledge in use. I mainly used numbers like 1024/2048/4096... numbers I have seen sam8 tell me that the plug was generating. I guess I will just stay native with my plugs:( I will kind of miss my voxengo AF plugs:eek:
J

Voxengo lists on the website and in the helpfile what the latency is.

Bob L
08-22-2005, 02:47 PM
The latency plugin from John does not process the data... it simply aligns it in sync with the rest of the MT by using the SAWStudio Native API ability to hold back buffers.

Bob L

mikebuzz
08-22-2005, 04:37 PM
Hey Bob I tried what you mentioned about doing a mixdown with the plug inserted , I was not clear on how to compare the 2 . Could you provide a detailed explaination ( for us rookies here !!! )

Thanks
Buzz

:D

Carl G.
08-22-2005, 04:37 PM
There is no automatic latency compensation in SAWStudio for VST plugs... native and DX plugs do not have the same problem.

The JMS Latency Compensator plugin can be added to the track to compensate for the latency caused by the original plugin.

Or, you can slide the track back to adjust for latency also.

Bob L
Gee... I had a hard time remembering which type of plugins had uncompensated latency... now I can remember!
V(ery) S(low) T(transfer) !!!
Thanks!

dhise
08-22-2005, 05:49 PM
oh you know, sometimes bad habits are hard to break. I've downloaded csg and exact audio copy, but haven't had the time to play around with them yet.

-Doug
www.bigbblues.com

any reason you havent moved to CSG yet with saw? I personally have prefered it much more than samplitude for cd burning

Bob L
08-22-2005, 08:22 PM
Buzz,

Take a track of a transient sound like a click or kick drum...etc

Patch in your VST plug... select that track only (if there are other tracks on the MT) and use the build mix to hottrack option with an empty track right under it selected as the hottrack.

The results are now side by side... use an FKey that shows 2 large tracks... then look at the sounds... a no latency plugin will have both sounds exactly in line... a latent plug will have the new track behind the original... set the timeline into sample mode and mark the distance between two of the transients... there is how many samples to correct for.

You can slide the original track back that many samples or use John's latency compensator plugin... or do yourself a real favor and throw away the plugin. :)

Bob L

Carl G.
08-23-2005, 05:23 AM
A quick example check..... indicates wisdom is required for _each_ Plugin.. whether or not it is DX or VST:

PSP Vintage Warmer DX version - 106 Sample Latency
PSP Vintage Warmer VST version - 106 Sample Latency

Patch was Input track Pre, nothing else patched, no plugs in output either.

olzzon
08-23-2005, 06:04 AM
I just discovered, that if you use Cakewalks VST-DX adapter, it compensates for the latency.

Maybe there will be other issues with that. But i tried it with SIR and it works.