PDA

View Full Version : CD Replication vs. Duplication

mike_da_min
08-23-2005, 07:19 AM
Which one is better. We need to do 1000 CD's and we are debating over which one we should do? Also if you have any more REPUTABLE and HONEST companies you could suggest please feel free to list websites or names.

We are doing 8 panel full color inserts
with 2 color on disk printing

TotalSonic
08-23-2005, 08:16 AM
In general replicated molded CD's will be more compatible in all CD players than duplicated CD-R's. Most likely the price at a 1000 units will be much better for replicated discs also. Usually the only time it makes sense to get CD-R's instead of replicated CD's is if you are doing a short run or are in an extreme rush.

The other consideration is the on-CD printing (aka "CD label"). With replicated discs you get a silkscreened CD label which is permanent, allows up to 1-6 custom colors, and is a higher resolution than other options. With CD-R's the on-CD printing is either thermal wax printing (permanent, but limited in color options and generally lower res), ink-jet printing (can be full color and high res but unless laminated can smudge or run if you get the discs wet), or a stick on label (again can be full color and high res but can bubble up or fall off with age).

Best regards,
Steve Berson

JKStone
08-23-2005, 08:37 AM
Steve,

We have a robotic Rimage Everest 2 Thermal CD printer. It is by far the highest quality CD printer on the market. The resolution is twice that of screen printing and it is very durable. This is not a wax like you described. We have printed over 50,000 CD's with it and I'm very happy. I just want a second one!

Cost per CD is a little more but it definitely says "quality". Plus, we are in charge of production runs and quanities.

JK

TotalSonic
08-23-2005, 08:48 AM
Steve,

We have a robotic Rimage Everest 2 Thermal CD printer. It is by far the highest quality CD printer on the market. The resolution is twice that of screen printing and it is very durable. This is not a wax like you described.

"wax" being the standard nomenclature for the process - the look of course is of an ink. What's the dpi? Are you able to do half tones with the thermal printer?

We have printed over 50,000 CD's with it and I'm very happy. I just want a second one!

Sounds good - I might be in the market for one myself soon.

Cost per CD is a little more but it definitely says "quality".

I think the expectation of most consumers is for things to look like replicated discs. Whether this changes their perception of whether it is "quality" or not is subjective.

The other issue is that CD-R's are simply not compatible with every single CD player out there - while an in spec replicated disc will be.

Plus, we are in charge of production runs and quanities.

Obviously the care of the manufacturer - whether duplicator or replicator - is a huge factor in how nicely they turn out.
What's you're average BLER on the duplicated discs?

Best regards,
Steve Berson

jeromee
08-23-2005, 10:50 AM
My band used Oasis (http://oasiscd.com/music/) for our last CD but are looking at Disc Makers (http://www.discmakers.com/music/) this time, only because they offer a package that oasis doesn't. Good Luck in your search.
J

Demodave
08-23-2005, 11:39 AM
We've had real good luck with SUPERDUPS. We've used them on small runs of 500. We also did a big run of 5000 for a "Homegrown" CD. Great quality every time.

Website Link (http://www.superdups.com)

tank71
08-23-2005, 03:38 PM
Steve,

Whats the difference in the process,between replicating and duplicating?

TotalSonic
08-23-2005, 03:50 PM
Steve,

Whats the difference in the process,between replicating and duplicating?

In replication your master's image data is streamed to a Laser Beam Recorder (LBR) which cuts pits into a glass disc based on the 1's and 0's being sent to it from the master's data stream - thus "glass mastering". This glass disc is then developed and electroplated with nickel. The nickel is formed to make the stamper that goes onto the molds of the CD press. A shot of polycarbonate (a clear plastic which is shipped to the pressing plant as small beads in giant bags) is melted by an extruder and then molded into a disc by the press - and at this point it has "your music on it". This part of the process takes only a few seconds. The disc is then metallized with aluminum (so that it's surface will be reflective), and coated with laqcuer on its top surface so that it can be silk screened and more resistant to damage.

In duplication your master's image is streamed to one or multiple CD-R recorders which burn the 1's and 0's into a layer of dye on the blank CD-R - same as if you were just copying the disc on your own burner. Usually commercial duplication facilities run disc burns at high speed (i.e. anywhere from 16x to 48x) on multiple or automated burners.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

tank71
08-23-2005, 04:03 PM
Great info!

Thanks Steve.