PDA

View Full Version : Help working out some kinks?

Dan Hauck
08-23-2005, 06:44 PM
I've recently put together a new system, XP Pro, Service Pack 2 & performed all suggested windows XP tweaks, AMD Athlon 64 3500+, 2.21GHz, 2 gig of RAM, MSI neo4 platinum ultra mobo, yadda yadda. I've checked both "use region memory caching" & "use region PeakData memory caching". All was well during initial shakedown cruise. Then installed Gigabit ethernet & Wavelab 5. Now response in general seems slow and as soon as I perform an edit, I get a box that says "out of virtual memory" then a complete lack of response, or cursor movement but no sound & the "forcing engine shutdown" flag & then "trouble opening an out device". If I close down & reopen the program, all audio devices have disappeared in the audio setup menu. Then if do a reboot, audio devices are back where they should be & the process begins anew. I've tried disabling the gigabit ehternet in the setup menu to no avail. Anybody got any ideas what's going on?

Thanks

Dan Hauck

Naturally Digital
08-23-2005, 07:12 PM
Dan,

You could try pulling the ethernet card or moving it to another slot then see how it runs.

The virtual memory issue could have something to do with your enabling the region memory caching option. Two options there, you could try disabling that or else you could try turning off the virtual memory (in system properties).

You could simply have a hardware conflict with the ethernet card though.

Dan Hauck
08-23-2005, 07:51 PM
Hello, David

Virtual memory is turned off as per Bob's XP tweaks. If I turn it back on, what settings do you suggest? I'll also try moving the ethernet card

Thanks

Dan

AudioAstronomer
08-23-2005, 08:04 PM
Hello, David

Virtual memory is turned off as per Bob's XP tweaks. If I turn it back on, what settings do you suggest? I'll also try moving the ethernet card

Thanks

Dan

Set it to a custom 2048 and 2048 as a start.

MMP
08-24-2005, 05:36 AM
I would turn off "use region memory caching". This quickly fills up ram, and IMO, should only be used when nothing else is running outside of SS.

Regards,

MM

Dan Hauck
08-25-2005, 04:53 PM
My problem was that it was a very long session that probably with plug-ins exceeded the 2 Gig of RAM that I had available. I took Robert's advice in an earlier post & the problem cleared right up. Next, I buy more RAM. Thanks, enerybody, for being so willing to help and also educate me in the process.

Dan

Bob L
08-25-2005, 05:44 PM
More ram will not necessarily help past the 2 gig limit... although that is still not a settled issue.

Even with large sessions... the region ram caching option will only cache what it can and read the rest from disk... it should leave enough ram for Windows overhead.

But, you may want to leave it off anyway. If you do use it... make sure you are on the latest 3.9h version... there were problems that were resolved in the last few updates.

Bob L

Dan Hauck
08-26-2005, 07:06 AM
Thanks, Bob

Any recommendations for settings on virtual memory?

Bob L
08-26-2005, 07:49 AM
Either set both min and max to the same value... or try shutting it down to 0 and see how that works for you... with 2 gigs of ram, I have found turning it off (0) works pretty nice in my opinion... others disagree.

Experiment and see what feels best on your system. If I leave it on... I usually let Windows suggest the min and max, then take the max down to match the min.

Bob L