PDA

View Full Version : alt-shift-click question

olzzon
08-25-2005, 04:53 AM
When i wan´t to copy a part of a region without splitting the original region, i use
alt-left click, and then insert it with shift-leftclick (splitting and overwriting).
Nice and fast.
BUT when i have selected some tracks (highligted the track numbers)
i have to hold down alt-shift all the time otherwise it puts the new region at the end of the other, as if i didn´t press the shift key.

Is there a reason for this?

A wish would be to have it work for all the selected tracks. so i don´t have to first split and then move and copy.

Btw: So far i´m really happy with my saw experience. Thanks Bob.

Bob L
08-25-2005, 10:24 AM
Not sure what you mean here... the Alt-Shift lifting of a new region from a track still inserts properly for me when just the Shift-Key is used at the time of the drop even if tracks are selected.

Since it is a single track feature (you create the region by lifting from a single track) it has no reason to respond to multiple track selection... it really does not apply.

Can you explain further?

Bob L

olzzon
08-25-2005, 10:47 AM
Not sure what you mean here... the Alt-Shift lifting of a new region from a track still inserts properly for me when just the Shift-Key is used at the time of the drop even if tracks are selected.

Since it is a single track feature (you create the region by lifting from a single track) it has no reason to respond to multiple track selection... it really does not apply.

Can you explain further?

Bob L

I will have to test further, i can reproduce the thing on my laptop, but haven´t tested in the studio yet. I just wanted to know if it was a know issue before i investigated further.

Feature was just an idea, so that i would work like the K key, by reacting on the selected tracks and not just the hot track. It was when i edited a bass line that i had recorded line and mic, that i wanted it.
But i just started to work in saw, so there might be another fast way to do this. I am really open to do it another way, if you have an idea.
The reason i don´t like to split the original region is that it fast becomes a mess when you do a lot of edits in one tracks, and it becomes unclear what is edited and what is just a split of the original.

I might not be able to test it before monday, as i´m fully booked the next days, but i´ll return as soon as time get´s there :-) .

Best regards
Kasper

Bob L
08-25-2005, 02:35 PM
Once you do the region splits all kinds of expanded editing powers come to light... I would suggest not worrying about the splits on the MT... my typical sessions may have hundreds if not thousands of regions involved.

Bob L

olzzon
08-25-2005, 10:07 PM
I´ll work that way.
I practiced it in the train yesterday, splitting up regions and insert them elsewhere. It´s just as fast, but more precise, as i can move around with the play cursor before a CTRL-backspace.

And then i´ll work a little more with the layers, so that i have the original unedited take on another. (might get some macrokey key thing to copy layers, unless there are some key for copying it that i´m not aware of, like ctrl-3 for copying selected area to layer 3, etc)

Anyway. I´m learning, and that one of the most joyfull things in life.

Kasper

UpTilDawn
08-26-2005, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Kasper: unless there are some key for copying it that i´m not aware of, like ctrl-3 for copying selected area to layer 3, etc)

In case you haven't checked yet, Right-click in the track name area to bring up the sub menu that allows you to "Copy Track or Marked Area To..." and "Copy Selected MT Entries To..." whichever layer you choose.

Hope that helps,
DanT