PDA

View Full Version : curious CD level question

Bill Park
08-27-2005, 03:58 PM
Okay, so I'm about to calbrate my monitor controller in my new room. I go to Bob Katz's site and download his 44.1/16 -20dBFS uncorrelated band-limited pink noise wave file.

In SAWStudio it reads -12.

In Sequoia it reads -10.

I copied it to a CD as a data file rather than as an audio CD, and copied it over to my studio box from the data CD as a data file.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bill

Naturally Digital
08-27-2005, 07:52 PM
Hmpf... Not sure what the deal is with that. I downloaded and tried it... Got the same reading in SAWStudio and Audacity (-11.3). Also got the same reading no matter which plugin meters I used.

Using the Sonoris Meter, it's Leq reading is bang-on Zero (K-20).

Carlos Mills
08-27-2005, 08:07 PM
Hi Bill,

According to Bob Katz's article, the standardized pink noise calibration noise has a -20 dbFS RMS amplitude... therefore it is an average... as far as I now there is no way to measure this is Saw, unless you have a plug in like Sonoris K-Meter (which I highly recommend by the way!) :)
If you have Soundforge, you can check this using the "Statistics" tool...
I hope this helps....

Best regards,

Carlos

Okay, so I'm about to calbrate my monitor controller in my new room. I go to Bob Katz's site and download his 44.1/16 -20dBFS uncorrelated band-limited pink noise wave file.

In SAWStudio it reads -12.

In Sequoia it reads -10.

I copied it to a CD as a data file rather than as an audio CD, and copied it over to my studio box from the data CD as a data file.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bill

Bill Park
08-27-2005, 08:09 PM
Yeah, reads out at about 19.76ish on my RME Fireface.

Bill

Bill Park
08-28-2005, 03:53 PM
I am curious about the 2dB difference between SAW and Sequoia's metering. I figured Bob would have some insight, or probables for me to chew on.

Bill

AudioAstronomer
08-28-2005, 05:53 PM
I am curious about the 2dB difference between SAW and Sequoia's metering. I figured Bob would have some insight, or probables for me to chew on.

Bill

It's sequoia's weirdness...

Naturally Digital
08-28-2005, 08:24 PM
I am curious about the 2dB difference between SAW and Sequoia's metering. I figured Bob would have some insight, or probables for me to chew on.Bill, I just tried it in the Samplitude 7.21 demo and it registers -11.3db using the peakmeter in the visualization window.

What meter are you reading in Sequoia?

Congratulations on the new room...