PDA

View Full Version : Audio Card Config for SawPro

Carl G.
08-31-2005, 10:30 AM
Opening sessions in SawPro for cleaning before importing to SawStudio.

Also... seeing how I can just keep SawPro formatted sessions for archive (instead of importing to SawStudio).

Problem:
Even though I switch my audio driver mode from ASIO to MME, I still can't play anything in SawPro (16bit, 44.1khz file), using LynxOne card.
In SawPro, the audio card setup options allow for only:
"Modem #1 Line Playback", "Modem #2 Line Playback", and Modem #3 Line Playback".

Questions:
1. How do I get SawPro to play audio?
2. What is "Modem Line Playback" ?? ! :)
(the name doesn't sound like it's high quality even if it did work)
3. Best senario for archiving SawPlus32 and SawPro sessions?
(I'd prefer to leave the lessor important ones in that format simply because I know I lose processing on import... and only import the ones I'll need to work on in the future into SS)

Pedro Itriago
08-31-2005, 11:29 AM
Seems to me your computer is not seeing your linx card, so there's something you have to play a little bit with. Maybe a system restart may do the trick.

The clue for knowing that the system is not aware of the linx is your list of audio devices.

Modem line playback is the driver windows use to hear recorded messages in the in-boxes of answering machine enabled fax programs or plain answering machine programs (that is, if your modem supports audio). Most of this devices (if not all) are half duplex (darn them, I tried long ago to make a internal communication systems using a modem & messenger, but it doesn't run with half duplex audio)

You either have 3 modems installed or the driver installed three times.

I think you better have a look at installed audio devices, your problem lies there

Opening sessions in SawPro for cleaning before importing to SawStudio.

Also... seeing how I can just keep SawPro formatted sessions for archive (instead of importing to SawStudio).

Problem:
Even though I switch my audio driver mode from ASIO to MME, I still can't play anything in SawPro (16bit, 44.1khz file), using LynxOne card.
In SawPro, the audio card setup options allow for only:
"Modem #1 Line Playback", "Modem #2 Line Playback", and Modem #3 Line Playback".

Questions:
1. How do I get SawPro to play audio?
2. What is "Modem Line Playback" ?? ! :)
(the name doesn't sound like it's high quality even if it did work)
3. Best senario for archiving SawPlus32 and SawPro sessions?
(I'd prefer to leave the lessor important ones in that format simply because I know I lose processing on import... and only import the ones I'll need to work on in the future into SS)

Carl G.
08-31-2005, 12:28 PM
Seems to me your computer is not seeing your linx card, so there's something you have to play a little bit with. Maybe a system restart may do the trick.

The clue for knowing that the system is not aware of the linx is your list of audio devices.

Modem line playback is the driver windows use to hear recorded messages ...
You either have 3 modems installed or the driver installed three times.

I think you better have a look at installed audio devices, your problem lies there
Thanks Pedro...
(EDIT)... I actually had 4 halfwit er.. half duplex modems installed... I erased three of them... that left XP showing the two Lynx and one modem... and SawPro now working.
Man, I forgot how far advanced SS is compared to SawPro!
I felt like a guy from Startrek.... jumping back to a Wright Brothers Flyer!
The "Same" 16bit/44.1Khz sound file even sounds better in SS!
Now to see how archives work.
There was some mention (I can't find the thread) a bit ago where newer protocol Soundcards or wavefile types... won't play the type style that SawPro requires.... I just want to archive important stuff before I get to that point. What was that issue about?

Pedro Itriago
08-31-2005, 01:09 PM
Only MME was suppoert in Sawpro. Asio is not supported

Thanks Pedro...
(EDIT)... I actually had 4 halfwit er.. half duplex modems installed... I erased three of them... that left XP showing the two Lynx and one modem... and SawPro now working.
Man, I forgot how far advanced SS is compared to SawPro!
I felt like a guy from Startrek.... jumping back to a Wright Brothers Flyer!
The "Same" 16bit/44.1Khz sound file even sounds better in SS!
Now to see how archives work.
There was some mention (I can't find the thread) a bit ago where newer protocol Soundcards or wavefile types... won't play the type style that SawPro requires.... I just want to archive important stuff before I get to that point. What was that issue about?

Carl G.
08-31-2005, 09:33 PM
Only MME was suppoert in Sawpro. Asio is not supported
Thanks again Pedro!
Fortunately, LynxOne supports both. But I hear the trend is towards Asio for lots of other manufactureres.

I appreciate the help. I'll have to take another look at all this and weed out what's really important to archive...

I wonder how *soon* might MME be a thing of the past?

AudioAstronomer
08-31-2005, 10:45 PM
Thanks again Pedro!
Fortunately, LynxOne supports both. But I hear the trend is towards Asio for lots of other manufactureres.

I appreciate the help. I'll have to take another look at all this and weed out what's really important to archive...

I wonder how *soon* might MME be a thing of the past?

Windows Vista soon.

Carl G.
09-01-2005, 03:15 AM
Windows Vista soon.
oooohhh ouch.
Sooooo... I guess I better start archiving now.

Ian Alexander
09-01-2005, 06:13 AM
Hi Carl,

Not sure what you mean by archiving, but I copy everything I record each day to CDR that night. I have had two hard drive failures that lost everything on the audio drive. The first one cost me several months of sessions. Fortunately, only a couple of them had to be re-created and they were simple radio spots. The second crash cost me nothing (in audio), because I had everything backed up.

Do you mean something other than backup when you say archive? And why not leave all the old sessions in their current format? When and if you need to import an old session into SS, do it on the client's time, not yours. :)

On the few occasions when I've imported something from SP32 to SS, I found it easier to do any tweaking after import. I'm now more accustomed to SS editing. I have to stop and think about how to do things in SP32. Also, as you indicated, the processing is lost, so there's little point, imo, in making adjustments when you can't hear the results immediately.

Pedro Itriago
09-01-2005, 06:42 AM
My strategy is to keep my old dual piii with the old isa wavecenter on winme & w2k (dual boot) so I can keep anything old in there. Anything new is going to my new piv machine with the hdsp9632.

So, if I need to bring something back, there's the old machine. If I fancy to use my dsp/fx card, I can use it (yeah, I still have that one, that's why I never thought about buying an uad card, not because it's not good or mine is excellent, but because it can suffer the same fate)

Carl G.
09-01-2005, 01:55 PM
I have to stop and think about how to do things in SP32. Also, as you indicated, the processing is lost, so there's little point, imo, in making adjustments when you can't hear the results immediately.
As I was looking at just even SawPro.... I gotta say you have a point here.
IF I'm going to be reusing any of it... it's better to have it in the current format where it can be edited and processed...etc. So I'll look closely at what likely needs to be forward formatted.

I also like the idea of keeping an older machine around (as suggested by another) ... I'm no stranger to that. I still have a load old tape machines for over 1000 tapes....and turntables for a wall of records... (looks like museum here:) )
But bottom line is - I rarely listen to any of it! Lot's of fun when I do... but too many other things in life/biz to do. About the ol' computer... my wife will say "ANOTHER archive machine?" :)