PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a device to keep sync to video

Alex_G
07-14-2004, 11:57 AM
Hi all!

I want to keep my DAW in sync with the video guys (blackburst) while recording live, I know Aardsync II does that. would you recommend me something else? may be more economic but reliable.

Regards

Alex

Sebastian Eskildsen
07-15-2004, 07:38 AM
I am not sure if this it what you are looking for,
but Sydec´s Mixstream192 and the old one, has a video sync.
option.

You can see prices at www.sydec.be

Sebastian

Alex_G
07-15-2004, 03:43 PM
Sebastian,

Thanks for your reply. I guess my question is a bit confused.

What I'm looking for, is a peripheral device that can receive signal from video camera as a reference (in a live recording concert situation), to keep my audio clock in sync for later post production.

As far as I know, there is a Aardsync or Alesis AI-2, both units can receive blackburst or SMPTE signals and convert it to word clock.

I want to know if there are more reliable options.

Regards

Alex

brent
07-15-2004, 03:48 PM
What budget do you have? The Aardvark is probably the way to go unless you are going to step up to the $2k range.

Good luck.

Carey Langille
07-15-2004, 03:53 PM
The Alesis BRC can do this, and you can find them on Ebay for a few hundred bucks... I keep mine around for just those special occasions.... It does a ton of conversions and has WC,SMPTE,MIDI,Lightpipe..... check it out, it might fit your application!

Sean McCoy
07-15-2004, 04:27 PM
What I'm looking for, is a peripheral device that can receive signal from video camera as a reference (in a live recording concert situation), to keep my audio clock in sync for later post production

If you want to be truly and completely in sync with the live session, you'll need to receive both blackburst (or word clock--can DV cameras send that?) AND SMPTE for triggering. If it's blackburst you'll need an intermediate device like the Aardsync to resolve to that and send word clock and SMPTE to Studio through your audio/SMPTE setup. If you can get word clock and SMPTE from the camera, and provided you have something like an RME Digiface that can receive both WC and MTC, you could plug those in directly without need for an additional box. There are a lot of options and much depends on the specific gear involved, but in any event I'd recommend against any setup that relies on SMPTE alone (code-only) if you need rock-solid sync.

Alex_G
07-15-2004, 06:32 PM
Actually, I just want to sync my clock to the video, not lock the transport. If the clock is the same, I could align audio to video manually very easy.

What I want to avoid (I am not sure if its possible), is to keep the audio recording safe, even if I lose the blackbrust or smpte signal from the video. you know in a live situation something could happen :eek: .

If I use blackburst and the video signal is lost, could I keep recording?

Alex