PDA

View Full Version : Zoomed region shifting

AudioAstronomer
07-14-2004, 10:37 PM
When zoomed in very close (say num-pad 2) If you attempt to shift-drag a region it does not work as expected for the first 2 tries. After that it does. On the first try, the region is "slipped" ahead of the cursor. On the second try the region is slipped behind. On the third try, the cursor stays perfectly in line with the sample the cursor was on before the drag.

The third behaviour is the one I expect personally. That way I can set the cursor to say, the beginning of a snare hit... then shift-drag using the cursor to align the snare hit with the same sound in the overheads... as it is now, it takes a few tries before the cursor and region shifting works this way....

Bob L
07-15-2004, 04:10 AM
Robert,

Not sure I understand what you are running into... the Shift Drag for me waorks at any zoom level...

Can you give exact steps to create the problem?

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
07-15-2004, 07:44 AM
OK.

I have an F-key setup to bring 2 tracks up at about half-screen.

Horizontal zoom is default numpad-2.

If I place the cursor at a specific point , then attempt to shift-drag the region to a new place... Normally the cursor would move the exact number of samples the region itself is shifted.

On the first try, the cursor moves with the shifted region perfectly. But when I let go of the click, the region shoots back in time!

Second time I try, it shoots forward? Cursor still moving by the number of samples Im adjusting, but the region hops to its own new place.

I am working at a piddly 1024-768 still :( (for at least another month)

Bob L
07-15-2004, 10:30 AM
Robert,

My guess is that you may have turned the Grid on (G-Key).. this would be causing the region to snap and lock to grid positions.

Is this a possibility? Check the display area under the main time readout numbers at the top left of the MT... if there are two vertical lines bounding the text under those numbers, the Grid is turned ON.

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
07-15-2004, 10:02 PM
No grid, I doubled checked that... even if so that would mean there's a new bug.. because on the 3rd (sometimes second) try the region moves perfectly anywhere I want :(

Im going to try to find time tommorow to get a video capture of it in action. Ill have to bring it to my brothers, he has some snazzy screen capture stuff iirc...

AudioAstronomer
07-17-2004, 08:06 PM
It seems to be a redraw bug.... Im trying to make a video capture now... lots of these programs dont like SAW :)

AudioAstronomer
07-17-2004, 08:11 PM
I got a capture.... Where shall I send it to Bob?

Bob L
07-17-2004, 10:36 PM
Robert,

When you say it seems to be a redraw problem... does that mean that if you ignore what you see onscreen and do a zoom in and back out... evrything is actually in the correct place?

Or if you hit an FKey does the screen redraw and show that things are correct?

If this is the case... then you may want to try to drop your video card troubleshooting slider bar (in Windows Display Properties/Advanced/Troubleshooting) down one notch and see if the problem goes away... your video card driver could be trying to use bitmap or bitblt caching, which will cause problems because I am taking charge of much of the screen redraws in my own memory buffers for speed before blting to the video driver.

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
07-17-2004, 10:49 PM
I tried that already :(

But yes, if I zoom out and then back in, the cursor is indeed redrawn to the correct spot (as aligned before shift).

It's happening on multiple computers too, I havent been able to not reproduce it.. it happens everywhere I try with full or 1 notch down.

I did get the video done (my first video ever!) BUT... there was a big render problem where half the video was garbled mess.... I think it had to do with some weird sync I had to do :( Ill try to fix it tommorow morning.

AudioAstronomer
07-17-2004, 10:54 PM
Note: with hardware acceleration down a notch, it sometimes works right :\ 90% of the time Im still seeing it happen...

Could it have anything to do with my F-key setups? I always use the same ones which have portions "offscreen" for when Im on a virtual desktop

Bob L
07-18-2004, 09:05 AM
Robert,

Not sure if the offscreen Fkeys are causing the problem... I never work that way.

Try this... save your FKeys, then load my 1024 defaults... try the test... see if it works everytime.

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
07-18-2004, 10:24 AM
default works fine.. some computers need hardware accelleration down a notch tho.

Ill just readjust my F-keys then ;) It's kinda silly to chase this one down because I was doing some rather weird things with VWM's...

Bob L
07-18-2004, 12:50 PM
Good,

I would suggest you take your screen res up to at least 1280 x 1024... the difference is a whole new ballgame because of how much more useful data you can see at once... of course 1600 x 1200 is better, but that usually requires a new monitor for most people.

Keep all Fkey windows onscreen and not overlapped if you want the most efficient and hassle free SAWStudio experience.

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
07-18-2004, 02:20 PM
Yep. Im still workin on gettin that new monitor. Ive had another large boost in income and it's so tempting to waste it all right away... wife needs things too :)

This LCD wont deal with 1280x1024, if It would Id be quite happy.... and all my other monitors except my laptops are the same LCD :( I have 2 CRT's which are quite terrible in the meantime.