PDA

View Full Version : I know I know....Which OS?

Teomi
09-11-2005, 08:56 PM
Hey guys, I know this topic probably got chewed up but I am designing a new computer and before going with the old trusted W2k...
Does XP offer anything better or should I stay with W2K?
I will have 2 systems in one type thing. One removable drive with the OS for composing (midi,virtual instruments...) and one disk for Mixing/mastering (SAW)

Whadaya say?

Thanks, ;)

bertie
09-12-2005, 05:22 AM
Hi, :)

Would you rather work with SS v2.5 or SS v9+? :)
It's the same with the Operating Systems....
Use WinXp.

Later,

Bertie,

Pedro Itriago
09-12-2005, 06:15 AM
I don't see the comparison relative. At all

If they are so different as to compare then with 7 versions of saw, would you mind telling the big differences 'tween w2k & xp (aside from xp sp2 making your life miserable with firewire until you make the "tweaks")?

Hi, :)

Would you rather work with SS v2.5 or SS v9+? :)
It's the same with the Operating Systems....
Use WinXp.

Later,

Bertie,

bertie
09-12-2005, 06:48 AM
Hi,

On my SS PC I use WinXp Sp2 and i have internet connection + i have McAfee + i have AdAware with AD-Watch monitoring active + i have edonkey downloading all the time and strangly i had no problems at all not with SAW not with any application i run and i have this configuration for a long time now.

So, what do you think?

It's all about learning how OS works and how well you can tune your BIOS then u can use SS and any other app with no problems at all...believe me :)

later,

Bertie,

studio-c
09-12-2005, 08:37 AM
would you mind telling the big differences 'tween w2k & xp (aside from xp sp2 making your life miserable with firewire until you make the "tweaks")?

What tweaks? Where do I find them? I'd started a thread earlier about FireWire nastiness. Maybe these will solve my problem.

Thanks Pedro!

Craig Allen
09-12-2005, 08:45 AM
What tweaks? Where do I find them? I'd started a thread earlier about FireWire nastiness. Maybe these will solve my problem.

Thanks Pedro!
Try this out - http://www.rme-audio.com/english/techinfo/fw800sp2.htm - it may help.

Pedro Itriago
09-12-2005, 08:59 AM
Studio-c:

I don;t know if it will help with your firewire drives since it seems that also happens with mac's, but when sp2 appeared, microsoft "inadvertedly" crippled the data rate on the firewire ports to about 10% of the possible speed. Follow Craig's link (already did it, I presume?) for a better view from the horse's mouth.

Bertie:

I can do the same things you're doing inXP with w2k. Heck I can even do them in winme.

IS it more stable? my w2k is rock solid, so is my winme if you take out that stupid activesync for wince devices.

Also, is it because it's newer? in less than 6 months win XP will be old (new windows a la Vista, pun intended)

So the question remains, what is so advanced in XP over w2k that makes you compare them with the differeence between 7 version of SAW?

studio-c
09-12-2005, 09:01 AM
Try this out - http://www.rme-audio.com/english/techinfo/fw800sp2.htm - it may help.

A response in 30 seconds. Thanks!!!
:)