PDA

View Full Version : What microphones are you using?

swing
07-15-2004, 01:33 PM
I'm familiar with Neumann and Bruel/Kjaer - but out of my leage since SAWstudio is going to set me back some:)

What are the "best bang for the buck" alternatives?

swing

Jon Stoll
07-15-2004, 01:57 PM
The Audio Technica 4060 is a really great mic for the money. It sells for about $1000, so it isn't exactly inexpensive, but compared to Neumann it is, and I think it's in the same class. For a few hundred dollars the Rode NT2 is another winner.

Jon

MMP
07-15-2004, 02:06 PM
Sorry for the "answer a question with a question"...but, what do you have for preamps?

The reason...once I got new preamps, all my mics were magicallyhttp://www.sawstudiouser.net/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif much better than before.

MM

Ollie
07-15-2004, 02:13 PM
The Gefell M300 is a very nice new small diaphragm condensor mic. About 600 bucks. Neumann Gefell M582 with a large M7 capsule sounds great for about 1200-1500 clams.

As far as what I am using, great mics and pres is where I really sunk the money.

I have also heard good things about the AT 4060.

I look at mics as something as items you will want to keep your whole life. So buy what you like and what you will keep.

If you will need to record drums, you should get a nice array of dynamics

Beyer M88 - GREAT FOR KICK and around 200 used

Sennheiser MD421 - GOOD FOR TOMS

Shure SM57 - works real well for snare etc

Overheads should be a nice set of condensors: the m300 would probably work very well.

Ollie
07-15-2004, 02:14 PM
Sorry for the "answer a question with a question"...but, what do you have for preamps?

The reason...once I got new preamps, all my mics were magicallyhttp://www.sawstudiouser.net/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif much better than before.

MM
Good point! I was amazed how different pres can add there own special colors to mics.

swing
07-15-2004, 02:23 PM
ADC&DAC3000 external rack uses Crystal CS5396 24bit/96kHz ADCs with 120dB dynamic range (a-weighted) for all stereo input channels

ADC&DAC3000 external rack uses AKM AK4393 24bit/96kHz DACs with 120dB dynamic range (a-weighted) for all stereo output channels

Full spec here http://www.staudio.com/products/dsp3000.html

swing

brent
07-15-2004, 03:00 PM
I use an Audix Elite kit for live drum recording, have Audio Technica AT4050s, 4040s, 4047s, 4041s, AEs, Shure KSM 44s, 32s, Beta 57s, 52s, 98s, SM57s, 58s, 81s, ADK TTs, TLs, Sennheiser e Series for live drum recording, MD 421s, 441s, Neumann 87s, etc.

Carey Langille
07-15-2004, 03:48 PM
Don't overlook some of the Chinese Condensers that are now on the market. These have a BIG bang for the buck. The StudioProjects C1 works very well on a lot of different sources, also the Old SE Electronics (se5500 my fav) were very nice as well. The Chinese manufacturers have been forced to keep the standards higher over the last year and they are actually starting to limit the amout of RE distributors in the field so that they price can go back up.

I am definatily not a music gear snob. I give gear a real try rather than look at a brand first.

A friend of mine from a top music store here ion canada was at the Fielo electric factory and he was amazed to see ADK, RODE,APEX and SE Electronics all coming off the same assembly line... The same mic from 5 different resellers with a difference in price of about $650.00. Makes me Tryout a LOT of stuff these days... You will be surprised..

Some of my Favs that i have come across have been:

Se electronics SE-5500 Tube Condenser
APEX 470 Dual Diaphram Tube Condenser
Nady 1050 Dual tube
Marshall V67G--- Awesome value!!

I also like to use my Sony c-38b Very Warm and old... (Actually they just re-released it)
I love the AKG 300b Small condensers
Sen 421
AKG D112 for the front of the kick and a SE2500 for the beater side really rocks....

Any of the Audio Technica mics i have work very well..

I DO NOT LIKE the SE Electronics SE-1 small condenser.. Very Honky
I DO NOT LIKE the MArshall 2001p -- No Mid range.. thin top....

Just some thoughts.... IMHO

brent
07-15-2004, 04:54 PM
What you should do is pop on over to the www.3daudioinc.com website and get a copy of Lynn's mic comparison CD. I think that you will hear that there is not always a justifiable $1k to $10k difference in mics. There may be some difference, but it will vary per application. Use your ears, not your eyes.

MMP
07-15-2004, 05:43 PM
Everyone should have 57's and 421's IMO.

I love the AEA R84 ribbon mic and have found the Soundelux U-195 great as well.

I think the Neumann Tlm-103 is a good value, I also have a pair of 183s and 184s.

I like Shure SM-7s for some things.

They are all different filters and it all depends on what you like to hear.

MM

canipus
07-15-2004, 06:12 PM
You asked with regard best bang for the buck. Carey's advice was correct. The studio projects C1 is probably the best quality versus dollars you can get.
We have one in the vocal booth sitting next to a matched stereo pair of DPAs (Bruel & Kjaer) omnis. You won't find a better mic anywhere for the money that is being charged for the C1. If this mic was mfr in W. Germany you' be looking at a price tag of a couple of grand.

Oz Nimbus
07-15-2004, 08:14 PM
Don't forget about a nice matched pair of Oktava Mc012's.... Great small diaphragm mics for dirt cheap. QC can be a little dodgy, so I'd suggest getting them here: http://sound-room.com/customer/home.php

Taylor is a great guy to deal with, and he has far stricter QC over his Russian imports than the factory does.

-0z-

Ollie
07-15-2004, 08:15 PM
What you should do is pop on over to the www.3daudioinc.com website and get a copy of Lynn's mic comparison CD. I think that you will hear that there is not always a justifiable $1k to $10k difference in mics. There may be some difference, but it will vary per application. Use your ears, not your eyes.

Hi,
On this CD, are the vocals set in a track? What kind of music? Male vocals, female vocals?

AudioAstronomer
07-15-2004, 10:20 PM
I totally dig marshalls... they all jive with that kinda airy (read: thin) high end and gritty midrange.... really sounds nice digital imho. When I used to do freelance work Id get a lot of analog gigs and that's when you break out the big boys and the weirdo's ;).... I tend to like hi-fi mics a little less everyday, Its great to add in that extra bit of detail, but it also sucks to add in the guitarist scratchin his toe with his shoe middle of a great take ya know?

Honestly I find myself using almost all omni's these days of any flavor.. and lots of old strong character mics like old EV, altec, oktava, shure unidyne, sennheiser, jana etc... But Ive been working witha lot of indie stuff and modern jazz where that whole "hi-fidelity" lo-fi is all the rage.

Im all for a mic with character... just toss up multiple mics if you need to fill in the gaps ya know? pristine stuff has its place of course, but that's not really where I get my kicks :)

swing
07-15-2004, 10:42 PM
THX! Guys.

I really appreciate the response and concern you show here :)

I've done my fair share of recording as a guitarist through the years and think I've covered the bases for different kinds of instruments in different settings - but - I DO want to hear the saliva of a singer and say a tenor sax without having to deess to much. Another difficult item to record is cymbals. Having had the pleasure to play with some outstanding drummers with outstanding old K-Zijldian rides, I've falling in love with that sonic world of a single ride in a fast walking tune. You know when they work it up and then just ping that inner world of sound in different directions. NEVER have I heard the real thing stick to tape!

Esoteric by my part? Absolutely:) But it's vital to me.

Plz - keep it coming!

swing

brent
07-16-2004, 06:16 AM
Hi,
On this CD, are the vocals set in a track? What kind of music? Male vocals, female vocals?

Multiple mics were set in the same position on male and female vocals, snare, etc. The preamps were calibrated to about .2dB of one another. The exercise again was to let you hear what mics do to the sound of each source.

There is a preamp CD as well, and a PT vs. Neve CD.

Many engineers only have experience with the staple mics (Neumann, Telefunken, RCA's, Sanken, Milab, etc, etc.) Many engineers only have experience with new-age mics from China, Japan, etc. So it is good for both to listen to.

Ollie
07-16-2004, 03:52 PM
Multiple mics were set in the same position on male and female vocals, snare, etc. The preamps were calibrated to about .2dB of one another. The exercise again was to let you hear what mics do to the sound of each source.

There is a preamp CD as well, and a PT vs. Neve CD.

Many engineers only have experience with the staple mics (Neumann, Telefunken, RCA's, Sanken, Milab, etc, etc.) Many engineers only have experience with new-age mics from China, Japan, etc. So it is good for both to listen to.

So you hear everything bare and not in context of music.

swing
07-16-2004, 10:17 PM
Considering buying those 3d cds? Meanwhile check this free info on the subject http://www.thelisteningsessions.com/sessions.htm

swing