PDA

View Full Version : SS & MWS not accepting MIDI input

MikeDee
09-16-2005, 09:22 AM
Hi, Bob -

Dunno if this issue was caused by my having installed the TranzPort (which is working fine):

I am unable to receive MIDI input in SS from my controller keyboard. My external MIDI module does not respond, and neither do the VSTis (within SS).

All of my hardware is functioning correctly, since I've had no issues while testing in Winjammer and Acid Pro 5 (VSTis are working fine here as well).

I cleared the MWS Default Preferences, closed and restarted SS, reset MWS preferences (including turning on Midi Thru), and resaved MWS Default Preferences. I even closed and restarted SS again. Still a no-go.

The issue persists whether or not the TranzPort is plugged in (though I fail to understand how and/or why the TranzPort could cause this issue). I am on XP SP2 and have applied the necessary OS tweaks.

Oh, btw, the issue persists in both SS 3.9h (w/ MWS 1.6a) and SS 3.9i (w/ MWS 1.6b). The issue does not appear to be version-specific.

Any suggestions?

TIA,

MikeDee
09-16-2005, 09:45 AM
Quick update:

I have found that when I toggle the Midi Thru button on and off, the MIDI light on my external module flickers on, then off; thus, it's responding here.

Also, I should have mentioned that, while playing a MIDI track in the MWS, my external module and the VSTis respond to the MIDI info.

Clearly, the issue is with the input stage itself...but again, no problems with my other apps.

Thanks again,

SoundSuite
09-16-2005, 01:16 PM
In SS:
Options > Midi Device Setup

In MWS:
Options > Midi Device Setup

Make sure they both are not using the same i/o and butting heads.

MikeDee
09-16-2005, 03:06 PM
Ah, ha...found the issue!

Not headbutting in the sense of MWS vs. SS options, but rather in the sense of "MWS vs. MWS" options!

For the MIDI input, I had to set:

Midisport8 output *2* into MWS port *1*; and
Midisport8 output *1* into MWS port *2*!!!

Heh, go figure...I decided to think a bit "backward," and...well...it worked. I'm so very relieved that there is no hardware and/or software conflict with the TranzPort.

Hey, thanks, SS & SS (SoundSuite & SAWStudio)! :)

Best personal regards,

Bob L
09-16-2005, 05:54 PM
Your solution makes no real sense... I am gonna guess that the port 1 is being used in SAWStudio Midi Devices In or Sync Devices in and therefore absorbing all commands that come in first, before they get to the MWS... my guess is that the MidiSport allows multiclient, so therefore you received no complaints.

If you are not using a hardware midi controller for SS or MTC input sync, then you should leave all midi options in SS Device options set to none.... then the MWS should be free to set the ports up in the proper order.

Bob L