PDA

View Full Version : OT_Which Version Will You Use?

Perry
09-18-2005, 06:37 PM
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20050910-5298.html

Ultra? Not Ultra? Professional Edition?

Here we go again! :eek:

Yikes.. You got lot's of splainin to do Lucy! :rolleyes:

AudioAstronomer
09-18-2005, 07:06 PM
I think more and more about dropping windows and going to a "hardware" system such as radar, standalone or just deal with tape costs...

Ive had a medium load of work, but working OVERTIME because windows is being a major pain in the ass. I just gotta take a break, almost vowed to quit the audio business this afternoon I was so bloody annoyed by some things windows was doing :mad:

Curse sawstudio for being such a damn fine program that only runs on windows!

*relax*

DIE MICROSOFT.

Bill Park
09-18-2005, 07:30 PM
I have to ask again, what I have been asking everywhere for years and years...

what are you guys doing, that causes so many problems?

I put in my audio apps. I put in my plug ins. It works, I leave it the **** alone. It records forever or until I replace it. It has pretty much worked that way for me since the begining. Get it working, leave it alone. Not rocket science.

For what it is worth, RADAR IS A PC! Why does it work? BECAUSE YOU CAN'T **** WITH IT!

Bill

spiritman
09-18-2005, 07:35 PM
Perry, Dont think that Vista will run on the mach. you use now. It's like when XP came out. OK. Time to upgrade again......

UpTilDawn
09-18-2005, 07:37 PM
Funny, I felt like saying something along the same lines, but decided not to bother.... No sooner than you Bill posted my thoughts alomost to the 'T'.

I'll take a pc over a stand-alone any day.... and I swore by stand-alones until I started recording to a pc over three years ago... XP has been a godsend too..... 98se didn't cut it, 2k didn't cut it, ME certainly didn't cut it... some I know would prefer that 95 could work for audio 'cause they swear it was the best of all.

Stand-alones are just plain limiting....

DanT

Perry
09-18-2005, 08:11 PM
For what it is worth, RADAR IS A PC! Why does it work? BECAUSE YOU CAN'T **** WITH IT!

Bill

Well.. yeah.. it is... that's true... but well... uhhh... never mind! :rolleyes:

Seriuosly though.. you're right of course. But where it gets more complicated for us on a PC is that everything keeps changing.. and we want the "progress" and the new technology. New plug-ins and other assorted "necessary" software is constantly coming out and constantly being updated.

And we are constantly as well looking for more and more power to run these constant new programs/plugins and their upgrades, that themselves use more and more power, ... and well.... so we build new computers with more power.

Then it all changes again when the people who sell these things drop support for the "old" operating systems.. like NT.. and now Win 2K.. and soon it'll be the same for XP.. no doubt.

And around and around we go... with Microsoft now taking over our computers more than ever before with XP SP 2 (which is what you get with any new system or OS disk now).

Yeah... you can stop ****ing with it, but this doesn't mean "they" wil stop ****ing with it.. You can count on that.

I've tried this approach and sooner or later they get you anyway. And this doesn't just apply to DAW machines either. My wife Danielle goes through similar things with her graphics programs. Her clients want more and more effects... stuff they see in magazines and things. Sooner or later, even if it's a couple of years, she has to upgrade Photoshop/Illustrator/Corel Draw, etc.

Then that really powerful computer from 2-3 yrs ago is suddenly not so powerful any more and bogging down and so it's time to build a new one... and now she's on XP SP2 and wrestling with that.

Of course it *is* possible to stop playing the game completely... I suppose.. at least until someone comes along and wants to know why you don't have the latest stuff.

At any rate... It appears that you have done this? So.. what OS are you using currently, etc?

Anyway... your point is well taken (and appreciated!). The problem still exists for many of us though.

All the best,

Perry

Perry
09-18-2005, 08:13 PM
Perry, Dont think that Vista will run on the mach. you use now. It's like when XP came out. OK. Time to upgrade again......

Why not? I just did upgrade... several times! :eek: OTOH... nothing surprises me any more along these lines. :)

Perry

Perry
09-18-2005, 08:30 PM
I think more and more about dropping windows and going to a "hardware" system such as radar, standalone or just deal with tape costs...

Ive had a medium load of work, but working OVERTIME because windows is being a major pain in the ass. I just gotta take a break, almost vowed to quit the audio business this afternoon I was so bloody annoyed by some things windows was doing :mad:

Curse sawstudio for being such a damn fine program that only runs on windows!

*relax*

DIE MICROSOFT.

OK... let's take a deep breath.... hold it..... then let it out... and relax now. :)

Whew... I didn't really mean to strike such a nerve here... just wondering if anyone has a handle yet on this new OS that we're going to have coming out. I'm pretty much in the dark on it (and I'm scared of the dark! :eek: )

Anyway, I know how you feel. Between all of mine and my wife's I'm maintaining around 5 computers here currently... along with my good neighbor who needs help from time to time (just put him in a new hard drive)... which makes six. And I'm planning to add a dedicated midi rig yet.. and that'll be 7! Not to mention the laptop. :rolleyes:

Robert.. taking a break is a really good idea when things get to be "too much". Taking a walk outside and looking around at things (like trees and stuff) can be a life changing experience. Highly recommended! :)

And yeah... SAWStudio is one damn fine program... agreed! :)

All the best,

Perrr

Leadfoot
09-18-2005, 08:44 PM
I think everyone hates the activation crap and all that.. among lots of other issues.. pretty much everyone has a pc or two running windows nowadays, so microsoft probably figures they have to protect their kingdom more critically now, i don't know. Would be nice if there were better standards too. I'm still running W2k for my audio system, never have any trouble with it really. Computers in general are starting to drive me nuts tho- with all the hardware firmware drivers and security updates and patches.. passwords, network maintainence, software updates/upgrades.. plugins, authorizations, reconfiguring, blah blah blah.. and 8 million other things.. I'm not sure they are making life better or easier. I absolutely love Sawstudio, but I see astro's point for sure. Sometimes a tape machine almost seems easier. You know it's just gonna get worse as far as windows goes. I'm sure everyone will keep taking it like a good citizen, and not like it tho- just like everything else. Maybe our great government will step in and straighten everything out... :)

Tony

Jay Q
09-18-2005, 09:07 PM
2k didn't cut itDan, can you elaborate? I'm just curious because I've been running SS (as well as many other audio apps) on Win2k for several years, and it's been a dream.

Jay

AudioAstronomer
09-18-2005, 09:09 PM
Yeah, I just sat down, took a deep breath and untangled a rat's nest of 115ft of 80# spectra. Not sure why, but cables and lines and untangling said things really relaxes me :)

Feels better, I hate windows so much.

And to bill, I leave my stuff alone but there are somethings you cant avoid. Like windows out of nowhere telling you that your 100% legit windows software is past it's 30day activation and wont let you back into windows, followed by saying your activation is denied.

Hours later, waiting on telephone getting it fixed amidst some hints of the operator thinking im a pirated windows user (which im most certainly NOT), i finally get back into my system.

Only to find out, user error, I deleted a bunch of video files needed for a project :( I used linux 90% of pc operations for years, and more recently freebsd and never had such a problem occur. For whatever reason, windows just BEGS you to delete the wrong files and spend hours with a data recovery tool :(

Such is life I guess. Sawstudio is just too good. Id drop PC's for recording in a heartbeat of I had the slightest reason to, but nothing even comes remotely close despite the troubles. Given Ive tried most of the other pc/mac programs and had similiar contant OS problems without a software that I enjoyed so much.

:cool:

AudioAstronomer
09-18-2005, 09:13 PM
Stand-alones are just plain limiting....

And in the most limiting circumstances I, and it seems many others, do their absolute best work. Nothing more awesome than being forced to become creative. And even more so, nothing better than having to commit to decisions and the results of those decisions.

Sometimes in the vast world of modern recording, such simplicities get lost in ego. Gotta have the best, gotta be the best, gotta show everyone im the best, gotta... something the best (or latest, or greatest).

Sorry, but this thread perked my venting reflex and probably good that I do so right now :)

Jon Stoll
09-18-2005, 09:35 PM
What an incredibly timely thread! I just had my main machine crash so badly tonight that it won't even start up from a cold boot. This has happened a few times before and I can always get it started in the morning, so I am mystified as to what actually happened. I was working with GPO and did something it didn't like and crash city! That was with XP SP1.

Tomorrow I get to really make a clone out of the secondary machine, a project I should have done long ago. Sometimes it takes a lot to learn these lessons.

This thread has gotten so depressing that I had to sit back for a moment and remember how well this stuff really works. Remember aligning tape machines constantly? And other nightmares that were session spoilers for something as simple as a burned resistor or a stuck relay? I'm really glad to not have to deal with that anymore. ADATs were a little better but not by much. We really have it well now compared to those days. Backups are the answer - not only in software but having at least 2 working machines that are kept up to date datawise is, in my mind, a must. Maybe by Wednesday I'll have all of that together. Then in 5 minutes you can keep on working no matter what happens to the hardware (short of a bomb hitting the house, of course). :)

Regards,
Jon Stoll

AudioAstronomer
09-18-2005, 10:18 PM
OR until you realize somehow you backed up a virus....

LOL :)

Perry
09-18-2005, 11:02 PM
.............Backups are the answer - not only in software but having at least 2 working machines that are kept up to date datawise is, in my mind, a must. Maybe by Wednesday I'll have all of that together. Then in 5 minutes you can keep on working no matter what happens to the hardware (short of a bomb hitting the house, of course). :)

Regards,
Jon Stoll

Hi Jon,

I totally agree about the backups/drive images. I use (now) Acronis 8 for that and find it amazing. You can even copy individual files from an image without restoring the whole image.

But... I've tried in the past to keep two identical computers running, with one as a backup, and found this difficult to maintain. For one...how do you get all the various companies to allow you to upgrade everything constantly for 2 computers? Some are no problem.. but some I find difficult (and annoying beyond words) just for one computer!

And hey, I'm not arguing here; I think this is a great idea. I'm just curious how you did it! :)

Perry

Perry
09-18-2005, 11:12 PM
I think everyone hates the activation crap and all that.. among lots of other issues.. pretty much everyone has a pc or two running windows nowadays, so microsoft probably figures they have to protect their kingdom more critically now, i don't know. Would be nice if there were better standards too. I'm still running W2k for my audio system, never have any trouble with it really. Computers in general are starting to drive me nuts tho- with all the hardware firmware drivers and security updates and patches.. passwords, network maintainence, software updates/upgrades.. plugins, authorizations, reconfiguring, blah blah blah.. and 8 million other things.. I'm not sure they are making life better or easier. I absolutely love Sawstudio, but I see astro's point for sure. Sometimes a tape machine almost seems easier. You know it's just gonna get worse as far as windows goes. I'm sure everyone will keep taking it like a good citizen, and not like it tho- just like everything else. Maybe our great government will step in and straighten everything out... :)

Tony

And I thought it was just me! :eek: :) this whole authorization business is totaly out of hand in my humble opinion. And as always when this comes up I thank Bob again for being so great with this.

With most companies, you give your money, then you're treated as a criminal (or so it seems to me in far too many cases). I absolutely hate being treated as guilty till proven innocent!

And I *always* appreciate when someone says "Thanks!" for the purchase by treating me with respect... something that unfortunately rarely happens. Fortunately it does happen sometimes! This whole authorization thing does not have to be so severe for paying customers and it's a choice for companies to make when they choose to make it so.

IF it stopped pirating I might think otherwise.. but it doesn't stop pirating and it really annoys me when I find out that others are running tons of cracks while I'm suffering through all the hassles of authorization schemes... AND paying for what I use! Not fair at all!!! :confused:

OK.. deep breath.. hold it in... let it out.. Ahhhh! :)

UpTilDawn
09-19-2005, 08:29 AM
Dan, can you elaborate? I'm just curious because I've been running SS (as well as many other audio apps) on Win2k for several years, and it's been a dream.

Jay

Yeah, Jay... Understood.

One of my sisters still swears by 95 and her 2gig harddrive, but hasn't even thought about updating or adding anything to it in years and that makes it quite reliable..... so I completely agree that 2k can work great as many in audio can attest.

My problems with it arose at a time when I was trying to figure out what combination of hardware and software would work and get along the best given my needs and budget. No doubt, part of it was my choice of computer, which came with the first version of ME.... not a great choice there.

The biggest difference for me with XP is that since beginning to use it myself, I've only seen the dreaded BSOD one time..... and that was on another sister's virus plagued pc, which she uses to mostly play internet spades and canasta.

I'm sure that given a little care with attention to setup and use, that most any OP (Mac and pc) will work reliably for years.....

DanT

UpTilDawn
09-19-2005, 08:33 AM
Sometimes in the vast world of modern recording, such simplicities get lost in ego. Gotta have the best, gotta be the best, gotta show everyone im the best, gotta... something the best (or latest, or greatest).

Right Robert!

I gave up that game long ago. Sometimes I feel like going back to the simple recording tools, but just can't drag myself away from noise-free, non-destructive editing. :)

DanT

Carey Langille
09-19-2005, 09:46 AM
Stay away from SP2 and all your woes will be gone! Dont forget to Update security issues though...Just NOT SP2.....Day in , day out band after band and windows rarily is an issue at all... Like the Informercial says.."SET IT, AND FORGET IT!!":D

Leadfoot
09-19-2005, 03:21 PM
That is so true. I am doing some mixing on a group of songs that were recorded on two inch somewhere else, and there is 60 cycle hum on every track, in some cases as loud as the signal, and there is also print thru from some other bands recordings. I guess they used the tape more than once...
So, yeah, those are some of the things I don't miss about analog. Although I know in the right hands none of that should be a problem to begin with..

Tony

Right Robert!

I gave up that game long ago. Sometimes I feel like going back to the simple recording tools, but just can't drag myself away from noise-free, non-destructive editing. :)

DanT

Perry
09-19-2005, 04:32 PM
That is so true. I am doing some mixing on a group of songs that were recorded on two inch somewhere else, and there is 60 cycle hum on every track, in some cases as loud as the signal, and there is also print thru from some other bands recordings. I guess they used the tape more than once...
So, yeah, those are some of the things I don't miss about analog. Although I know in the right hands none of that should be a problem to begin with..

Tony

I will definitely *NOT* be going back to analog as a day to day way of working.. of this there is absolutely no question for myself! :)

There can be some sweet sounds had there.. no doubt.. but analog? Me? recording?

NO WAY! :rolleyes:

Somebody would have to pay me to do that!!! Ummmm.. uhhh... please? :rolleyes:

Carl G.
09-19-2005, 05:03 PM
Stay away from SP2 and all your woes will be gone! Dont forget to Update security issues though...Just NOT SP2.....Day in , day out band after band and windows rarily is an issue at all... Like the Informercial says.."SET IT, AND FORGET IT!!":D
Gosh, I run SP2, and don't experience problems...
what am I supposed to 'look out for'?

Carey Langille
09-19-2005, 07:01 PM
Well, Pop up bubbles everywhere, the whole NEW authorization scheme that allows them to really take control of your machine ( TO HELP YOU!) and as well as a frigged up firewire/usb 2 problem that is still being reported to "not" be fixed) Also with SP2 it is Constantly checking for updates ( even when disabled) its all going on behind the lines.. I install this *hit on computers every week in another job, and its really a pain..... If you can, Stay with SP1, if you cant, Search out all the ways to turn off all the specail EXTRAS microsoft has put in... Look for OLD copies of XP instead of buying the latest sp2 disks, they do exist.. If you have a New computer and it came with SP2 installed, not much you can do except turn off as much as possible......I really do think that XP is a Huge inprovement over all the other windows OS's that were before, it is Very stable, ""based upon you hardware""... and will last a long time for what we are doing! IMHO:D

SoundSuite
09-19-2005, 07:22 PM
Yeah, I just sat down, took a deep breath and untangled a rat's nest of 115ft of 80# spectra. Not sure why, but cables and lines and untangling said things really relaxes me :)
LOL
You must have some jellyfish poison still coursing thru your body :D

But... I've tried in the past to keep two identical computers running, with one as a backup, and found this difficult to maintain. For one...how do you get all the various companies to allow you to upgrade everything constantly for 2 computers? Some are no problem.. but some I find difficult (and annoying beyond words) just for one computer!

And hey, I'm not arguing here; I think this is a great idea. I'm just curious how you did it! :)

Different Jon, but ill chime ;)

Build the machines literally identical in hardware, then...
Load #1, tweak it and get it 'right'.
Test #1, concurr its 'right'.
Image the HD and apply to machine #2.

When it's time for an update do the above proceedure again.
Update #1, tweak it and get it 'right'.

Put your audio/video/work files on a HD and move back and forth if needed, or copy them between over a crossover network cable or isolated switch if more than 2x machines.

That's as good as you can get it, imo.
Not only are both as close to identical as possible, but during the updating of the #1 machine, if it hoses, you have #2 to retrieve/restore from, much less use immediately.

Carey's on to something here. (set and forget)
For your SAWDAW use only the Windows CD and 'neccesary' updates to get saw running rightously.
IE, if you install from CD, install your drivers, and its a rock, STOP THERE.
Only fix what is broken.
Start simple and correct if needed, don't bloat then sort thru.

Do NOT hook it to the network, do not go online with it and I'll say you won't need any of anything MS forces down your throat. It's mostly security fixes and you, not being on the net, you aren't vunerable.
Abstanance is much better than a condom, and this simile fits these days.
Keeping the internet off the daw is like saying no to sex, hard to do but you just have to sometimes ;)
Just download any bug fixes for any issue you face (ie, if you use english, you have no need for chinese text fix) and transfer to execute on the daw.

Keep the DAW isolated from the outside world and you wont have constant, evolving issues.
Whenever you need something, saw or plug update, driver for audio card, etc, get it on another machine off the net, scan it, etc and transfer via usb pendrive, cdr, dvd, hd, etc... NOT thru any network connected to the outside world.
There are too many self-propagating virus'. Even if you dont go online on the DAW, but its hooked into network where another machine goes online, as far as the virus sees, you are online so it hits you.

David Hayes
09-19-2005, 07:40 PM
This formula has worked for me...

Windows 2000 pro
Installed the OS
Install SAW and plugs
Install one or two other simple apps (nero, etc)
Never install anything else.
Never upgrade anything. (except SAW)
Never connect the machine to the internet. NEVER.
Works like a champ and never gets that windows crufty "i need to be reformatted" feeling.

:)

David Hayes

Perry
09-19-2005, 08:16 PM
Build the machines literally identical in hardware, then...
Load #1, tweak it and get it 'right'.

When it's time for an update do the above proceedure again.
Update #1, tweak it and get it 'right'.

Put your audio/video/work files on a HD and move back and forth if needed, or copy them between over a crossover network cable or isolated switch if more than 2x machines.

That's as good as you can get it, imo.
Not only are both as close to identical as possible, but during the updating of the #1 machine, if it hoses, you have #2 to retrieve/restore from, much less use immediately.

That's a great idea! I hadn't thought of using disk images to accomplish this. But, won't XP kick up over the different system ID and ask to be re-intialized?

Abstanance is much better than a condom, and this simile fits these days.
Keeping the internet off the daw is like saying no to sex, hard to do but you just have to sometimes ;)

Now there's a comparison that I just plain hadn't thought of! :eek:

Just download any bug fixes for any issue you face (ie, if you use english, you have no need for chinese text fix) and transfer to execute on the daw.

Keep the DAW isolated from the outside world and you wont have constant, evolving issues.

Of course we all could just become Quakers (or something similar). That would have much the same effect wouldn't it? Penn. is a nice state actually. ;)

Or maybe this would be like the US during it's "isolationest" period of history? Hmmmm.... come to think of it... maybe this *IS* a good idea! :D

Whenever you need something, saw or plug update, driver for audio card, etc, get it on another machine off the net, scan it, etc and transfer via usb pendrive, cdr, dvd, hd, etc... NOT thru any network connected to the outside world.
There are too many self-propagating virus'. Even if you dont go online on the DAW, but its hooked into network where another machine goes online, as far as the virus sees, you are online so it hits you.

Definitely this is a good idea.

But hey... there's really nothing to fear here it appears anyway. :rolleyes: I just got back from talking with my OEM suppplier here and we were discussing this situation. According to him and his MS sources, Microsoft's plan is to do away with the computer as we know it anyway.. possible within 5 years (if they have their way!). What we can expect is a simple terminal that accesses a "central" computer provided (of course!) by Microsoft. This will work in much the same way as we now get service for TV, movies, etc over cable connection.

He also said that he had been told by reps from Samsung that they expected hard drives as we now think of them to disappear with 3 years or so as storage via things like USB type "solid-state" micro-drives take over.

So there you go... nothing to worry about after all. :rolleyes:

The "solid-state" drives may be a cool thing for us... but I doubt the MS move will be.

FWIW.. this is what I expect from Microsoft, and have expected for a long time. They plan to take over the whole shootin match... and most likely will succeed. It's already written... and on the way. And... most people will probably think this is the coolest thing since the (government, CIA, or some other secret orginization that still is secret... take your pick) invented the internet and then convinced everyone it was for us!!!

Of course... most people will pay $30 a month or something for this complete take-over of all pretense of privacy and so on... but I guess we'll have to pay $100 or more for the kind of bandwidth we'll need!!! :rolleyes:

Actually... I'm going to build several very powerful computers and hide them... starting now! (and I'm not really kidding either) Regular "unconnected to MS" computers will become *the* underground things to have... just wait and see. It won't be that long now. They'll be worth a fortune!!! :D

All the best,

perry

Leadfoot
09-19-2005, 08:46 PM
Call me paranoid but I tend to agree.. in 15 years computers will probably be like vinyl. Our kids will be like, " what did you guys do with those? I can't believe you had to work with those things :) Kinda scary thinking about the near future.. nevermind :) But seriously, Sawstudio needs to survive and I think at some point Bob should consider a Saw OS, or something. I know it's been said that it's almost impossible to do, but what will happen to Saw when MS is no longer viable and they stop supporting all their "older" OS's ? Could happen sooner than expected.

Tony

Carl G.
09-19-2005, 09:01 PM
Actually... I'm going to build several very powerful computers and hide them... starting now! (and I'm not really kidding either) Regular "unconnected to MS" computers will become *the* underground things to have... just wait and see. It won't be that long now. They'll be worth a fortune!!! :D
perry
Perry,
What's wrong with simply using a Linux base system for all info and net based computers?
RedHat, FreeBSD, and a ton of others that fantastic.
Not to mention, AbiWord, OpenOffice, Gimp, etc.
We have 2 other computers that run great without Microsoft (one is a dual boot).
It would be advantages to have SawStudio someday ported to a Linux based system.

Perry
09-19-2005, 10:02 PM
Perry,
What's wrong with simply using a Linux base system for all info and net based computers?
RedHat, FreeBSD, and a ton of others that fantastic.
Not to mention, AbiWord, OpenOffice, Gimp, etc.
We have 2 other computers that run great without Microsoft (one is a dual boot).
It would be advantages to have SawStudio someday ported to a Linux based system.

Actually Carl... nothings wrong with that idea at all... thanks for reminding me. :) At least this would solve one portion of the equation... at least in the short term.

Probably MS already has a plan in place to rid the world of this pesky "rogue" OS. Most likely I'd guess by fixing it so it can't access the grand new world order it has planned :rolleyes:

But for now... yeah.. a great idea indeed! And I've actually downloaded what was needed to set this up (I think) quite some time ago but somehow never succeded in getting any further than that. Is there a clear step by step guide (for the total Linux noob like me) to follow to set this up?

And which (exactly) version do you recommend? What I usually see when I try to investigate this further is something similar to what you've posted here.. "RedHat, FreeBSD, and a ton of others that fantastic." So... which one?

Seriously, please someone tell me *exactly* what version to use for this and how to set it up and I'll do it. I would love to have this working for my internet, etc. Just never got past first base with setting this up.

Help! :)

Thanks Carl,

Perry

Perry
09-19-2005, 10:10 PM
Call me paranoid but I tend to agree.. in 15 years computers will probably be like vinyl. Our kids will be like, " what did you guys do with those? I can't believe you had to work with those things :) Kinda scary thinking about the near future.. nevermind :) But seriously, Sawstudio needs to survive and I think at some point Bob should consider a Saw OS, or something. I know it's been said that it's almost impossible to do, but what will happen to Saw when MS is no longer viable and they stop supporting all their "older" OS's ? Could happen sooner than expected.

Tony

Yep... but I'm guessing 10-12 is more like it. Unfortunately... we'll see! :)

In the words of my OEM supplier (who shall remain nameless here) "I hate Microsoft." Those were his exact words from a conversation just a few hours ago. He is also genuinely worried about what will become of his business in the future... and if he'll even have one.

Anyway... enough for me on this for one round.. it tends to wear me out thinkin about it.

This isn't going to go away.. But... We're still here at the moment and I've got a session tomorrow mixing some cool music from Danny Mack on SAWStudio. I'm going to enjoy it and live for today.. uhh,,, well tomorrow.. when it's today.. you know what I mean! :)

All the best,

Perry

Ian Alexander
09-20-2005, 06:11 AM
Of course we all could just become Quakers (or something similar). That would have much the same effect wouldn't it? Penn. is a nice state actually. ;)
perry
We have plenty of Quakers here in PA and we like them. William Penn was a Quaker. But you may be thinking of the Amish. They're the oil lamps, beards with no mustaches, and buggies to church crowd. As they use no electricity, I think you're right that they don't really care what Bill Gates does next. We Pennsylvanians buy lots of the wonderful food they produce and tourists flock to see them. The simple life sure seems to be attractive. Hm, could we run Saw on an abacus? :p

SoundSuite
09-20-2005, 04:59 PM
That's a great idea! I hadn't thought of using disk images to accomplish this. But, won't XP kick up over the different system ID and ask to be re-intialized?
If you are lucky enough to have a corporate install, its fine (no auth needed), otherwise, yup XP will need re-auth, etc.
There is also some plugins and apps that are machine specific.
Even if you don't have these issues, you very well still may face different IRQ usage on the machines, and you'll face fragmentation differences as well on your work drives.
Re-authenticating your products is trivial by comparison to full setups, but yes, you are correct Perry, it will not work in application as it does on paper every time.
Its as close as you can get to a 'perfect' world though. ;)

I imagine if you used Win2k, with only drivers, SAW and native plugs it would be alot easier than XP home or pro and machine specific goodies.

Ultimately, the best thing is just not to hook it to the net or a network that is on the net.
All other tricks are a pipe dream by comparison :D

Perry
09-20-2005, 05:03 PM
We have plenty of Quakers here in PA and we like them. William Penn was a Quaker. But you may be thinking of the Amish. They're the oil lamps, beards with no mustaches, and buggies to church crowd. As they use no electricity, I think you're right that they don't really care what Bill Gates does next. We Pennsylvanians buy lots of the wonderful food they produce and tourists flock to see them. The simple life sure seems to be attractive. Hm, could we run Saw on an abacus? :p

Ahh Yes.. thanks.. I am thinking of the Amish. Pardon the blunder. :)

I've traveled through Pennsylvania a few times while touring with a sound company.. And I was serious in that it seemed a nice place.

One of our trucks broke down there once and we left it with a guy with a big beard and no mustach actually. :) He had a repair shop... but he wouldn't have been Amish then would he? He had electricity and stuff... at least I think so. Or maybe he did all the work with just a screwdriver and an old fashioned wrench??? And all using Oil Lamps for light! :eek:

I also remember seeing the buggies with the lamps troting down the road off a ways from the freeway. Sort of a strange sight and quite a reality check. Very interesting.

Mmmm... the Amish... didn't Harrison Ford hide out with those guys one time for a while??? Was that a movie? "Reality" is gettng far too strange lately.. hard to distinquish the difference.. if there is one! :rolleyes: :D

Cheers,

Perry

Perry
09-20-2005, 07:13 PM
If you are lucky enough to have a corporate install, its fine (no auth needed), otherwise, yup XP will need re-auth, etc.
There is also some plugins and apps that are machine specific.
Even if you don't have these issues, you very well still may face different IRQ usage on the machines, and you'll face fragmentation differences as well on your work drives.
Re-authenticating your products is trivial by comparison to full setups, but yes, you are correct Perry, it will not work in application as it does on paper every time.
Its as close as you can get to a 'perfect' world though. ;)

I imagine if you used Win2k, with only drivers, SAW and native plugs it would be alot easier than XP home or pro and machine specific goodies.

Ultimately, the best thing is just not to hook it to the net or a network that is on the net.
All other tricks are a pipe dream by comparison :D

Well, thinking it through now maybe this is why I never tried it this way? Anyway, yeah.. for a Win2K setup this might work. Something to consider.

FWIW, this idea of just not hooking up to the world as a solution has limited succeess... at least in my universe. I don't hook my main DAW to the internet mind you... but as to just literally disconnecting... ummm... not so easy to do IMHO.

I guess it just depends on your situation. With me, some of my clients wouldn't know (or care) if I did this... OTOH...some would. And they expect me to have all the new stuff... and they sure like it when I do.

And this also seems to me to be one of those things that's much easier said than done. It will mean giving up certain things I'd think... and not upgrading some things as they come out. And sticking to it. Back to "less" rather than "more". :)

If you start updating anything then sooner or later there'll be a "gocha!". On the other hand, not updating will mean (in most cases) that you won't be able to use some newer (and probably desirable) features for plugins and things, or even complete new plugins may not be available to you.

This happened with my Powercore for example. They dropped support for Win2K all together at a certain version quite a while back... which I thought was ridiculous given that it was still very much in use (and I told 'em so, but they still did it anyway! :rolleyes: ).

So far everything still works on my Win2K machine, but if I needed tech support from them they won't give it.... or so I was told.... except if you're using XP.

And if you don't update to the new version... none of the newer plug-ins will function on your card... and around and around it goes.

A similar thing exists for the UAD-1. You upgrade to the newest version to be able to use the newer plug-ins. Otherwise... that's a no go as well.

Also now some companies use automated responses to your email address for initial tech support replies and if you've changed your email address now it doesn't work. This seems rather ridiculous to me as well.

I tried this somewhere recently without realizing that I hadn't changed my new email info with them and got a rather rude response implying that I was trying to download illegal information (or something). :confused:

Can't wait until they give us our permanent ID tatoo's and so we can be done with it and things will be simple! (just kidding! :eek: )

It's all a bit like a runaway train I guess... once it's up to speed and barreling down the mountain side it's pretty darn hard to stop it. :)

At any rate... I'm taking a bit of a pause here to consider this stuff... and might decide to "disconnect" at least somewhat more than I am currently. I'm starting to get dizzy with all the constant upgrades and "new and improved" stuff that keeps bombarding our universe (or at least mine).

But not for SAWStudio mind you. One of the only "sane" things going here.

For everything else.... Stop the train... I want to get off please! :p

All the best,

perry

UpTilDawn
09-20-2005, 09:14 PM
For everything else.... Stop the train... I want to get off please!

All the best,

perry

Sorry Perry, no can do.....
the train doors were updated at the stop before last to only respond to a new updated automation system for which you need the new passcard, which you only got if you paid for the upgrade ticket at the last stop.... did you get that card upgrade?.... If not, you were probably not in your designated, registered seat when the conductor handed them out. :eek: :eek:

Perry
09-20-2005, 11:48 PM
Sorry Perry, no can do.....
the train doors were updated at the stop before last to only respond to a new updated automation system for which you need the new passcard, which you only got if you paid for the upgrade ticket at the last stop.... did you get that card upgrade?.... If not, you were probably not in your designated, registered seat when the conductor handed them out. :eek: :eek:

Uhh Oh! OH MY! No.. I didn't get that card upgrade... NOooo! :eek:

Uhhhh... looks like I'm stuck on this train then??? :confused:

Oh my... darn... I knew I should have upgraded.. I knew I should have upgraded... must upgrade...must upgrade...must upgrade...must upgrade... :rolleyes:

OH well... thanks for this explanation. It's all very clear now. I guess I'll upgrade then. :D

Neal Starrett
09-21-2005, 12:07 AM
Uhhhh... looks like I'm stuck on this train then??? :confused:

And this is why Robert feels like hoopin another train I believe. Can't say I blame him and if it wasn't for SS I think I would have bought the Studer:eek:
niles

Ian Alexander
09-21-2005, 07:05 AM
Ahh Yes.. thanks.. I am thinking of the Amish. Pardon the blunder. :)

I've traveled through Pennsylvania a few times while touring with a sound company.. And I was serious in that it seemed a nice place.

One of our trucks broke down there once and we left it with a guy with a big beard and no mustach actually. :) He had a repair shop... but he wouldn't have been Amish then would he? He had electricity and stuff... at least I think so. Or maybe he did all the work with just a screwdriver and an old fashioned wrench??? And all using Oil Lamps for light! :eek:

I also remember seeing the buggies with the lamps troting down the road off a ways from the freeway. Sort of a strange sight and quite a reality check. Very interesting.

Mmmm... the Amish... didn't Harrison Ford hide out with those guys one time for a while??? Was that a movie? "Reality" is gettng far too strange lately.. hard to distinquish the difference.. if there is one! :rolleyes: :D

Cheers,

Perry
Hm, not sure about the truck repairman. He may have been a fence-sitter who has a modern business, but an Amish home. We had our kitchen rebuilt by some fellows like that. They used power tools, etc., on the job, but had oil and 12VDC lamps in their showroom. :confused:

The Harrison Ford movie was Witness (1985). Entertaining movie, but perhaps not entirely accurate as to the Amish. As I recall, Kelly McGillis (Amish woman) takes a sponge bath where she knows Harrison Ford (Philadelphia detective) can see her. In fact, a very entertaining movie. :D

Perry
09-21-2005, 07:48 PM
Hm, not sure about the truck repairman. He may have been a fence-sitter who has a modern business, but an Amish home. We had our kitchen rebuilt by some fellows like that. They used power tools, etc., on the job, but had oil and 12VDC lamps in their showroom. :confused:

The Harrison Ford movie was Witness (1985). Entertaining movie, but perhaps not entirely accurate as to the Amish. As I recall, Kelly McGillis (Amish woman) takes a sponge bath where she knows Harrison Ford (Philadelphia detective) can see her. In fact, a very entertaining movie. :D

Right!!! "Witness"... now I remember the stroy... and Kelly McGillis. Mmmmm.... If they have Amish women like that... more reason to convert! ;)

Well... as to fence-sitters.. I guess I'll be a semi-disconnected Daw user who still upgrades his plugins and stuff... but swears that it's a bad idea. :rolleyes: :D

thanks Ian,

Perry

studio-c
09-21-2005, 08:03 PM
I liked the Al Yankovich video "Amish Paradise". I shot milk out my nose.

TMI. Sorry.

Dennyf
09-21-2005, 09:19 PM
Another "win2k DAW, no internet connection" advocate here. I have a few other audio-related apps on there, but I'm pretty careful about what I load up.

I use an old P2 I got for free for all other applications, and "deny" damn near every request I get from Zone Alarm. Don't even read it, just click "deny." And It's been reliable and consistant for quite a while now (knock wood).

Y'know, when it comes to actual office-type (not video or mt-audio) work, an old P2 doesn't really seem to cause me much suffering.