PDA

View Full Version : Overlapping softedges...

Marvin
09-19-2005, 04:26 AM
Hi all

I'm pretty sure I've read something about this problem before, but I couldn't find it searching the forum. Maybe my searching skills need improvement...

This morning I checked last nights mixes, and found something really strange. The backing vocals in the last chorus was way off in their timing. Could I really have missed that last night? It was late , so, maybe.... :confused: So I started SAW to check it, and started playback just before the last chorus, and... everything sounded fine. The band was on their way to pick up their instruments, and their CD, so I did a quick'n'dirty fix by rendering the backing vocals to a new file and cut it apart, and moved the backing vocals to the right place.

And now, I just found what caused the problem... the regions in the second last chorus included some overlapping softedges by mistake... if I started playback after those regions, everthing sounded fine. but if I started playback before those regions, everything afterwards on those tracks was in the wrong place.

so: overlapping softedges seem to cause later entries to be time-shifted? Maybe the cure is just to avoid overlapping softedges?

Marvin

Tree Leopard
09-19-2005, 08:24 AM
Here's a pretty detailed discussion of the "inner workings" of Soft Edge. Hope it answers some of your questions...
http://www.sawstudiouser.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2199

Andre

Bob L
09-19-2005, 08:52 AM
SS does not allow overlapping softedges... but if found, they should just chop off the overlap and not shift any data... I will have to look into it.

But do not allow end softedges to overlap before the beg of its own region or vice versa.

Bob L