PDA

View Full Version : More aux sends - what effects do you use in mixes?

celebritymusic
09-20-2005, 09:38 PM
Hi

I've been getting into effects lately, and I'm just wondering what sort of setups are used by SAW users?

On my old DAW, I was used to having as many AUX returns as required. I'd have a standard setup of :

1. Widening effect
2. Delay one
3. Delay two
4. Reverb one
5. Reverb two
6. Reverb three
7. Reverb four
8. Crazy effect for mixing it up a little.

The reverbs are hardly audible, just space givers which you notice when theyt are taken out. Sometimes I'd use more.

SAW only has 6 AUX returns. What sort of setups do you guys use?

Cheers!

Bob L
09-21-2005, 12:03 AM
Only 6 stereo aux sends and returns... I wonder how many of us have had Neve consoles with many more than that? :)

Seriously... I would re-evaluate your methods if you are filling up the 6 aux sneds and returns... try patching certain plugin types direct for more control in the final mix.

Use my simple echo plugin directly on tracks instead of thru an aux... it places almost no load on the CPU and allows you to then have subtle delay differences in the mix that can add seriously to your overall ambience.

Bob L

Craig Allen
09-21-2005, 05:34 AM
The JMS Buss Extension / Send/Receive Module can give you more sends and it's free. You can read about it and down load it at http://www.jms-audioware.com/jmsbuss.htm.

Mark Stebbeds
09-21-2005, 07:51 AM
On my old DAW, I was used to having as many AUX returns as required.

In another very popular DAW, I do the same. You may use as many as you like, and they can be used for anything that isn't an audio channel. i.e., submix, stems, effects returns, audio groups, etc. Like a hardware console.....just plug a patch cord into a channel and there it is, with all of the features of a standard channel. No need for proprietery "effects returns" without aux sends.

Also handy for trying out a bunch of different effects until you decide what you want. Particularly useful with insecure and inexperienced clients.

I have templates set up with "everything", and then delete as needed.

Mark