PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Why should a bedroom composer consider SAW?

swing
07-16-2004, 02:35 PM
As a start for this thread I'll quote Rip Rowan over at Prorec.com:

"Repeat after me: Stability. Usability. Performance. When software companies ask what you want in a new piece of software, recite your new mantra. Stability. Usability. Performance.

Stability refers program uptime and predictability. Does it work, or does it crash? If I change my hardware or add new software, does the system get all fouled up and require a reinstall or a call to the help desk? Do features work sometimes but not at other times, with no indication as to why they are not working? Can you trust the tool in a critical situation?

Usability refers to the program’s predictability and implementation. Usability is more than feature sets and user interfaces. Usability describes whether the software supports your process. Does the program perform in a consistent manner from function to function? Are features implemented in a logical manner that reflect the way work actually gets done? Are important functions buried deep into the user interface? Does the user have to perform gymnastics to get routine tasks done?

Performance refers to the system’s efficiency and capability. Performance refers to the ability of the system to process your commands, and is easily measured for audio software in terms of throughput and latency."

Ref: http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/files/707F4812FBA5735586256808005E8147

This mantra has served me well ever since. It's valid both in the bedroom and for live tracking.

swing

AudioAstronomer
07-16-2004, 03:33 PM
Swing, as a personal request, could you keep off-topic threads to a minimum please? I dont know other peoples opinions but there are forums dedicated just for talking about recording. This is a forum dedicated toward's SAW specifically. It'sjust a personal request on my part to keep the forum a bit "cleaner" :) Also I just noticed the link is to a review of Cakewalk pro audio 9? :confused:

ghowardjr
07-16-2004, 03:38 PM
Well, let's see... The subject of his thread was why someone should consider SAW. And he highlighted the things that make SAW stand out. I think it's about as on-topic as it gets...

G

swing
07-16-2004, 03:57 PM
Hey astronomer! I was just being polite and posting the reference of my quote:) Don't you do that when quoting? And as you see the article has nothing to do with SAW but the quote is valid and vital in this context - ie: what is important when extimating a product. Man! I like this forum but sometimes it gets a little bitchy - why? I get a lot of good info here and just wanna pay back.

chill bro!

swing

Oz Nimbus
07-16-2004, 06:21 PM
Ok, I'll take a crack at this one:

Stability: I seem to be the only one having a problem with SS crashing, and even then, it's a very limited scenario. So yeah, it's stable.

Usability: The fastest interface out there. With mulitple ways of accomplishing the same function. Not to mention programmable F-keys, for instantaneous recall of your most used features. The edit system has cut my time spent per song editng down by 90%. That's not an overstatement, either. I'm able to do better mixes, faster.

Performance: Do we really need to ask this question? For me, going back to Sonar after spending the last few months working with SS is like stepping off the Space Shuttle and into a Radio Flyer.

-0z-

canipus
07-17-2004, 02:22 AM
I totally dig marshalls... they all jive with that kinda airy (read: thin) high end and gritty midrange.... really sounds nice digital imho. When I used to do freelance work Id get a lot of analog gigs and that's when you break out the big boys and the weirdo's .... I tend to like hi-fi mics a little less....
Audio Astronomer - What Mics are you Using.

AT! A little illogical I think. Of topic threads? I don't see mics as being anything to do with SAW so why contibute to off topic threads on mics on the one hand and sending off topic advisories to posters on the other?

BTW how's the 'flat' shade coming along? Any new updates?

Yura
07-17-2004, 03:21 AM
BTW how's the 'flat' shade coming along? Any new updates?

BTW,
I finished the "console part" of new exclusive shade.
if i will go to the rivers coast for three weeks, I'l finish it much later.