PDA

View Full Version : Interface question

Chuskey
10-03-2005, 11:35 AM
I'm thinking about getting a usb/firewire interface and would like to get some opinions. Later down the road I plan to get a fireface 800, but I'm looking for something to get me by for now that I could continue to use with a laptop to do remote tracking if nessasary. So a couple of ins/outs will be fine for what I want it for. I want to stay around $200-$300.

Here's the one's I've considered:

Presonus Firebox
M-audio 410 (I like the 2 different heaphone levels, and the ability to use Pro-tools le if I ever run into a session that HAS to have it.)
Lexicon Omega
Edirol EA-25 (I like the built in compressor)
Tascam US-122 (probalby my least favorite, just seems cheap)

I'm not sure also about the one's that use usb if they are 2.0 or not. Any advice would be appreciated. Again, I'll be adding a RME unit down the road, but I'm looking for something really compact and self contained for now. Thanks.

Ian Alexander
10-03-2005, 05:19 PM
I have received VO files from another talent who uses the M-Audio firewire 410. She has a dynamic mic and uses the internal mic pre. The levels are quite low, even though she has everything maxed. If you plan to use hotter condenser mics, you'll be happier. Haven't heard anything but her from the unit, but it sounds clean enough to make the background noise in her "studio" pretty obvious. :)

No info on other units.

Craig Allen
10-03-2005, 06:04 PM
I believe someone was using the 410 with SAW successfully, but I can't remember who. There may be a post in here somewhere with it, but I couldn't find it in a quick search.

matt
10-03-2005, 06:23 PM
I sell the firebox weekly and have to say that it is by far the best for your hard earned dollar. A co-worker and I tried to get the other products you mentioned to work on a G5 and failed miserably... granted it is a Mac :p

matt
10-03-2005, 06:24 PM
Oh, I haven't tried the Omega... let you know in a week or so if I can find the time :rolleyes:

jeromee
10-03-2005, 06:41 PM
I used the edirol and was at times very noisy with the laptop:confused: I now have the maudio firewire1814 and behringer ada8000 combo and it has worked flawlessly:D

I have been really impressed with the maudio. I found the 1814 for $419 factory sealed, not a refurb, online from this place MAudio stuff (http://www.digitraxx.com/ma_audiophile2496.html). I read some bad reviews of the lexicon so I didn't even consider it. My preference would be the maudio over the edirol, having owned both I like having more inputs with the maudio and ran into several situations where the 2 analog ins on the edirol just weren't enough. Hopefully that helps some.
J

UpTilDawn
10-03-2005, 08:10 PM
I've been eyeing the firebox for a while now...
I have to say that everything Presonus that I've used I liked a lot. Not noisy, plenty of gain... they usually seem to give lots of quality for the money.

DanT

Naturally Digital
10-04-2005, 06:14 AM
Positive report on the Firebox over here...

I ordered it for a friend and he's running it on a G5... He's very happy with it.

Bill Park
10-04-2005, 07:57 AM
save your money for the RME. If you don't, it will be a lot longer before you get one!

Bill

olzzon
10-06-2005, 11:19 PM
Yes. Get the RME.
Works great sounds great.