PDA

View Full Version : XP SP2 viable yet?

Dave Labrecque
10-03-2005, 07:46 PM
What's the current thinking around here?

AudioAstronomer
10-03-2005, 08:07 PM
I got saw to run under reactOS today!

*such a tweaker*

Ian Alexander
10-03-2005, 08:16 PM
I run SS under XP SP2 daily with no issues. I have done all of Bob's XP tweaks. My system is not too stressed, though, because I don't use many tracks, I don't do Live, I don't even SRP very often.

Many posts here, though, suggest sticking with SP1 if you have the install disc.

Carey Langille
10-03-2005, 08:16 PM
SP2= NO thanks

TotalSonic
10-03-2005, 08:37 PM

*such a tweaker*

Robert -
Just checked out their web site - http://www.reactos.org - and man, their mission statement sounds awesome:

The ReactOS® project is dedicated to making Free Software available to everyone by providing a ground-up implementation of a Microsoft Windows® XP compatible operating system. ReactOS aims to achieve complete binary compatibility with both applications and device drivers meant for NT and XP operating systems, by using a similar architecture and providing a complete and equivalent public interface.

I wonder if MS gets a whiff of this whether they will try and shut them down - as the screenshots do look like Windows - then again Apple lost their case against MS when they copied the "look and feel" of the old MacOS when they introduced Windows - but MS has really good lawyers now!

Anyway - I really like the idea of this and hope it develops as from the look of it Vista will be a real mess that I have no desire of touching.

SO: were you able to use MME or ASIO drivers with this?? And how was SAW performing running on it?? A small hit but still workable - or just limping? Enquiring minds want to know!

Best regards,
Steve Berson

AudioAstronomer
10-03-2005, 08:53 PM
Still getting drivers to work, Shouldnt be too hard I suspect.

Saw loaded and mouse worked and keys worked....

Try the liveCD, it's only 10mb!

Craig Allen
10-04-2005, 06:13 AM
I have SP2 on my laptop that does live duty all the time - no issues.

Dave Labrecque
10-04-2005, 03:57 PM
SP2= NO thanks

Care to elaborate, Monsieur Langille? :)

spiritman
10-04-2005, 06:19 PM
I have been on SP2 since I was on the Beta. But this is the first time is heard about ReactOS. Bob, what is your take on ReactOS?

Bob L
10-04-2005, 08:07 PM
Downloaded it, but have not installed it on a system yet.

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
10-04-2005, 08:22 PM
Be careful, it dislikes some USB devices :( Dont try too hard.. some hardware is iffy on it "out of the box"

Cary B. Cornett
10-05-2005, 07:34 AM

*such a tweaker*

<fingers twitching>
I have been hoping for DAW usability from ReactOS for some time now. If you get it fully running, PLEASE tell us how.

Some questions:

compatibility with:
RME HDSP 9652?
USB2 external drives?
Intel D845GRGL?
ATI Radeon 7500 dual?

How stable compared to W2k sp4??

thanks

AudioAstronomer
10-05-2005, 07:37 AM
Still toying.. cant get any soundcard drivers to install properly yet, but Im still figuring this out.

Saw displayed the interface and "ran" once I got the display working properly.. that's it.

Carl G.
10-05-2005, 08:48 AM
Me too.
I have been hoping for DAW usability from anything NON MS.
If you get SS going on ReactOS... please let us know.

Also...How stable compared XP sp2 (yup....#2).

Yura
10-05-2005, 12:23 PM
Me too.
I have been hoping for DAW usability from anything NON MS.
If you get SS going on ReactOS... please let us know.

Also...How stable compared XP sp2 (yup....#2).

You cannot live without MS Windows if you cannot be satisfyed only with SP1. And you use SP2.
If so, what you need reactOS for? If it could pull all SAW's stuff successfully, an you don't need more, what's benefit of SP2 for you?

We are all MS folks here since we need all-in-one toy.

And, when I have some high curiosity about something I go and take it and test it by myself, for the best sure :)

Carl G.
10-05-2005, 11:46 PM
You cannot live without MS Windows if you cannot be satisfyed only with SP1. And you use SP2.
If so, what you need reactOS for? If it could pull all SAW's stuff successfully, an you don't need more, what's benefit of SP2 for you?

We are all MS folks here since we need all-in-one toy.

And, when I have some high curiosity about something I go and take it and test it by myself, for the best sure :)
I do many other things with this machine than SS.
I guess I'm an "All-in-one" kinda guy. :)

But I do like to have an alternative for when the 'all-in-one' software monopolizes a marketshare - depite superior competitive software.

Cary B. Cornett
10-06-2005, 05:33 AM
... what you need reactOS for?

I went with every new MS OS (though sometimes late) up until XP came out. I still use Windows2000, as I cannot STAND the authorization crap that MS put into it, and did not have access to a "corporate" version. Everything that I have heard about the MS vision of the "future" of computing, and how they will FORCE us into that future, just makes me more nervous. Every so often I check out Linux as an alternative, and if SS ran on that platform I might have already switched, since AFAIK just about everything else I need to do (except MIDI sequencing and soft synths) is already available in Linux.

If it is ever fully implemented, ReactOS offers an escape from the MS stranglehold for those of us who would like to maintain full Windows compatibility.

Many of us either do not have the time or the skill to spend the necessary time in "tweakhead land". I recently lost 3 days to failed attempts to install a sound card in two different computers that would not work with it, and this was WITHOUT the added factor of an "alternative" OS.

Meanwhile, I for one am grateful that there are others out there willing to pioneer these tests for the rest of us.