PDA

View Full Version : OT: DVD from some producer about mixing and mastering all "in the box"

trock
10-07-2005, 05:55 AM
Was this posted onthis forum?? i was curious about it and can;t remember where i saw it

some producer with a bunch of credits has a DVD out on his mixing all in the box with plugs etc. he does use pro tools but i thought it would be interesting to see how he tracks, pans, eq's, comps etc with plugins sicne that might help me even though i have different plugs??

it is not russ long, i have that one and that is mostly about mic'ing and tracking

this guy had black hair, long and i think a beard??

sorry if that wasn;t posted here

Shawn
10-07-2005, 09:01 AM
Was it Charles Dye, "Mix it like a Record"?

Gary mentioned that in his "seperate left/right outputs" thread.

:)

trock
10-07-2005, 12:45 PM
shawn

thats it!!

has anyone checked it out?? is it applicable to us SAW users sicne we are getting to the all in the box mentality ??

dhise
10-07-2005, 07:03 PM
A friend of mine picked it up and we watched it a few days ago. Most of the techniques he uses are pretty well explained on all these internet forums for free.... The good sections were on automation and the way he organizes a mix, i.e. every verse building to the chorus and each section building a little more excitement to the climax of the song.

I personally didn't care for his mix. A little over the top on the high end eq boosts and he really likes saturation type fx. As a guitar and bass player, I wouldn't want him mixing me. Those guitars sound pretty awful to me after he was done with them!

just my opinion,
-Doug

trock
10-07-2005, 07:39 PM
cool doug

thanks for that

since it is 140 bucks or so i don;t want to go spend that just to be where i am now. i am sure i will learn something but thats a steep price to not be sure

Gary
10-10-2005, 01:41 PM
Doug -

The video has some interesting ideas in it. The problem for me isn't in the sound Charles Dye gets . . . it's more of a function of how people learn. I'm constantly irritated by the fact that the person who cut the show together doesn't give the audience's ears a chance to absorb what just happened before the background music fills in behind the VO. My attention keeps getting pulled away from what just happened sonically. The non-studio bits also gets tedious as the editor feels the need to throw some special effect in every 5 or 10 seconds so the GenXers are entertained. However, if you can wade thru this stuff . . . there is good info to be had. $135.00? Maybe learning a new plugin is just as effective.

Gary Edelburg
Electric Shadow Productions

Jay Q
10-10-2005, 02:10 PM
The non-studio bits also gets tedious as the editor feels the need to throw some special effect in every 5 or 10 seconds so the GenXers are entertained.Well, I think it's more for the Gen Yers. :) But, yeah, I found the preview irritatingly flashy and hyped up, so I basically wrote the video off.

Jay

Gary
10-10-2005, 02:21 PM
Well, I think it's more for the Gen Yers. :)

Jay

True, Jay . . . I'm easily extracted. The medication helps.

Gary