PDA

View Full Version : from Laptop to Mixer

bcorkery
10-12-2005, 11:45 PM
I've been asked to produce a bunch of drop-ins for a radio show. What's the best (solid and not too expensive/software and interface) way to get these drops from a laptop into a mixer.

The show is being done from a guy's living room sent to Sirius via ISDN. He's got a small mixer and IM's Sirius in NY on his laptop. I'm figuring that it could do double duty. After editing and mixing in my own studio I could transfer the waves to his laptop.

Software-wise maybe SS Basic's library view or region list could do the trick. The mixer is an Alesis MultiMix - Non USB. Seems like a nice little unit. Any suggestions as to the most effective way to route the file into it? I don't know what model the laptop is, I think it's a standard, no firlls machine. I'll know more later.

Thanks,
Bill

Bob L
10-13-2005, 12:28 AM
You could also use Loopazoid and load 48 sound drops into 1 loopazoid... turn on Live mode in SS and simply click the buttons or use a small midi keyboard controller to trigger the sounds when needed.

Bob L

Ian Alexander
10-13-2005, 07:50 AM
If you know what's coming up with enough time for cueing, can't you just put 'em on an audio CD and use a $99 player that he probably has in his living room already? :confused:

Cary B. Cornett
10-13-2005, 10:17 AM
If you know what's coming up with enough time for cueing, can't you just put 'em on an audio CD and use a $99 player that he probably has in his living room already? :confused:

Last year I did exactly that for the spot cues for a play. I also ran a second CD player with storm sounds for BG. It worked just fine.

OTOH, for a musical that we recently finished, I used a computer running SawPlus32 for SFX playback (quad outputs), and ran SawPro on the same machine at the same time to record the entire show (would have used SSL, but the computer did not have enough memory).

If you need to jump around in an unpredictable sequence (random access), though, Bob's suggestion probably makes more sense.

bcorkery
10-13-2005, 10:43 AM
Thanks guys. I'm sure jumping around is what's going to happen so I'll check out loopazoid.

I'll also find out more about the laptop. Would a mini plug from the existing sound card and an adapter to 1/4 inch split cable L&R into a stereo channel work OK? or do I need something more elaborate?

?Bill

patm300e
10-13-2005, 11:15 AM
Thanks guys. I'm sure jumping around is what's going to happen so I'll check out loopazoid.

I'll also find out more about the laptop. Would a mini plug from the existing sound card and an adapter to 1/4 inch split cable L&R into a stereo channel work OK? or do I need something more elaborate?

?Bill

Bill, I do this all the time from my sound card...1/8" mini stereo to RCA plugs are widely available. Then get the rca (female) to 1/4" (male) adapters and Voila...Left & right into the Mixer from sound card...

Angie
10-13-2005, 11:46 AM

?Bill

It will work just fine provided the soundcard isn't too noisy. That's what has ruled out our current laptop for even basic "party music" playback.

bcorkery
10-13-2005, 12:26 PM
Thanks for all the great input. I'll do a test run on the laptops card when things start coming together.

Bill

Dave Labrecque
10-13-2005, 05:38 PM
You could also use Loopazoid and load 48 sound drops into 1 loopazoid... turn on Live mode in SS and simply click the buttons or use a small midi keyboard controller to trigger the sounds when needed.

Bob L

When I did the Radio Pet Vet show a few months back, I found this method to be about the best for playing drops (per Bob's suggestion). And I was also mixing the radio show in SAW in Live Mode AND IM-ing with the network. But it wasn't a laptop.

The only downside is physical triggering of the drops. It's tough to beat a rack of cart machines with their big buttons. Maybe there's a MIDI controller that's just a panel of buttons? Otherwise, Bob's idea of a little MIDI keyboard ain't so bad. You could even label the keys with tape and a sharpie.

studio-c
10-14-2005, 08:15 AM
Bill, what's happening when it goes out of the mixer? Is he going direct to ISDN? Recording it?

If it was me, I'd be using an iPod for the bumpers and RECORDING it to my laptop. A bit clunkier though, if you're trying to cue up the next bumper as you're doing your own announcing.

You're a radio guy. Weren't they using those touch screen things at the station? I've got a friend, Dave Smith, who worked at Jefferson Pilot for years, he might have some other suggestions. Give me a call if that would help.

Dave Labrecque
10-14-2005, 10:14 AM
Bill,

FYI, I did a fairly exhaustive search for free "cart machine" type drop playback software when we did that radio show. Tried several. Wasn't crazy about any of them. But Loopazoid was pretty cool.

That said... there's gotta be some stuff that works pretty well that's NOT free. But if it's meant for broadcasters, the price might not be what a do-it-yourselfer is hoping for. That's my thinking anyway. Hopefully, I'm wrong. :)

studio-c
10-17-2005, 08:50 AM
http://www.drs2006.com/manuals/doc/index.php

Bill,

Did you get a look at this? It's pretty much made for podcasters, streaming radio folks, and comes as part of a big package which sells for $69. (We talked about it on the phone, I just wanted to share with everyone).

This makes me want to start my own virtual Radio Caroline. I may buy one myself :) Actually the whole system looks similar to what's used for SawStudio Radio.

Anyway, hope you got it sorted. And I do have those cables for you still :)

Cheers,
Scott

bcorkery
10-17-2005, 11:44 AM
Dave & Bob,

I tried the demo of loopazoid and it seems to work great. The labels are kiind of small though.

Scott,

I think the DRS2006 is the ticket. I liked the demo, it should fit the need.

Thanks everybody!
Bill