PDA

View Full Version : Language support for SAWStudio?

Jechuy
07-19-2004, 05:46 AM
Bob: is there a way to change language of SAWStudio like you do with the shades?...you know menus, dialog boxes?

Maybe all the SAWStudio users could give you a hand doing the translations in their native languages... ;)

TotalSonic
07-19-2004, 06:31 AM
Hi Jesus -
Yes -
It is possible to "localize" dialog boxes using Restorator -
http://www.bome/restorator

To my knowledge no one has done this yet for SAW - but it might be a cool thing. I know of a number of Spanish, Portuguese, and Russian speaking SAW users - and there are VIP Affiliates based in Mexico, Netherlands, France and Poland - so internationalization could be useful. Nice thing is that people don't need Bob to do this - Restorator makes it pretty simple to do.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Jechuy
07-19-2004, 07:15 AM
Nice Tool... :) ...but what about copyright?....do am i violating Bob's copyright changing the SAWStudio.exe file?

And how can i share my spanish translated text of SAWStudio?....that's why i was asking some way to do it with external files...like shades files or maybe just a simple text file... :)

swing
07-19-2004, 07:49 AM
Total

Would it be possible to exchange the black field upper right with an own logo in restorator?

swing

Hi Jesus -
Yes -
It is possible to "localize" dialog boxes using Restorator -
http://www.bome/restorator

To my knowledge no one has done this yet for SAW - but it might be a cool thing. I know of a number of Spanish, Portuguese, and Russian speaking SAW users - and there are VIP Affiliates based in Mexico, Netherlands, France and Poland - so internationalization could be useful. Nice thing is that people don't need Bob to do this - Restorator makes it pretty simple to do.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

TotalSonic
07-19-2004, 08:10 AM
Total

Would it be possible to exchange the black field upper right with an own logo in restorator?

swing

Hi Swing -
I'm not sure what black field you're talking about. Most of SAW's look can be completely customized by opening a .shd file with Restorator though and then modifying the embedded bmp's using an image editor like GIMP or Photoshop and then using Restorator to resave these as a new .shd file.

A number of users have done that and posted their results. You can find a number of user modified shades at http://www.dhayes.com

Best regards,
Steve Berson

TotalSonic
07-19-2004, 08:14 AM
Nice Tool... :) ...but what about copyright?....do am i violating Bob's copyright changing the SAWStudio.exe file?

And how can i share my spanish translated text of SAWStudio?....that's why i was asking some way to do it with external files...like shades files or maybe just a simple text file... :)

Bob will have to chime in here as to whether modifying the dialog boxes for your own use constitutes a violation of the end user license or not. He's been fine with people creating their own Shade files by modifying RML Labs made ones though - but this might be a different issue.

As far as distribution - yes, since there is no copy protection for the sawstudio.exe file - then obviously only RML Labs would be able to possibly distribute localized versions. A Spanish edition would be very cool though considering how many Spanish speakers are in the world and in the pro audio industry (or just recording great music!). Maybe Bob could enlist your services for this.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Bob L
07-19-2004, 09:12 AM
Translations of dialogs and many items will run into problems as some of the text will overun many of the tight spaces that the design utilizes to just fit what is needed in some of the bitmaps.

I, unfortunately have no time to re-design for different languages...

Using a program that decompiles and recompiles my code is theoretically a violation of copyright law... but in the cases where it enhances the product, I am not currently compelled to chase it down. Menus and other dialogs would be able to be translated with no real problems.

The Shades, while again are not sanctioned by me, seem reasonably harmless... other than the fact that as an artist, I am not really appreciative of having my work altered. I mean, if you are a song writer, you most likely wouldn't appreciate everybody altering your chord changes and lyrics at their discretion, while your name is carried as the author... in truth, your work is being mis-represented.

The program is not designed to be altered by the user as far as look and feel goes... obviously I can't stop anybody from doing what they are going to do in that regard... but in truth, I feel that time could be better spent learning and using the product rather than constantly trying to re-design it. :)

Bob L

swing
07-19-2004, 09:38 AM
Maybe it's because the whole SAW thing is so personal through you:) - that users want to personalize their versions.

Take me for instance - I got my studio boss hooked:):) as well and the first thing he said rising from the floor after being swept away was: Hey! kool if my studio logo could go in upper right in the empty field!

"I shall return with a bag of gold and VIP myself" old swedish saying :D

Your copyright statement is word. Respect.

swing

Jechuy
07-19-2004, 10:17 AM
Bob: I know that shades it's possible...:)...and i could do a spanish shade...obviously respecting the size of the graphics...:) ...i know too that changing menus to another language....windows will automatically resize the menu with the new text inside...:)....but if you feel more confortable....i can send you a text file with all the menus and options translated to spanish... ;) ...or maybe you could put a resource file in the sawstudio page with only the options of the menus and error dialog boxes....and we can send it the translated version in our native languages....and you just recompile again... :cool:

I was using Steinberg products....Cubase and Nuendo have Multilingual Support...but i like SAWStudio better......why not having a Multilingual SAWStudio?.... :D ... :) ... Just a thougth....Cheers!!

Bob L
07-19-2004, 12:32 PM
It would be nice... but would require a concentrated internal redesign to place all text strings in a reachable location to the users or to a shade type dll hook...

I did not design the core engine with that in mind...

Perhaps in the future... but I have many other things on my plate already that I am committed to first.

Bob L

Carlos Mills
07-20-2004, 08:16 AM
Bob: i can send you a text file with all the menus and options translated to spanish... ;) ...or maybe you could put a resource file in the sawstudio page with only the options of the menus and error dialog boxes....and we can send it the translated version in our native languages....and you just recompile again... :cool:

And I would be honored to send a Portuguese translation :)

Bob L
07-20-2004, 08:17 AM
Sorry guys, not ready for language translations yet. :)

Bob L