PDA

View Full Version : Way OT: New feature released on DVD today!

conleec
10-26-2005, 12:19 AM
Hey Everybody,

Just wanted to mention that a feature I cut last year hit video stores today. It's called, "Boo," and it's a great Halloween flick. Would love to hear your thoughts about it; plus, I was honored to be invited to participate in the commentary track. That's never happened to me before. Hope I don't sound like too big a jack*ss :)

For more info, check out:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0385560/combined

You should be able to find it just about anywhere, stateside. Not sure about foreign, yet. Although, rumor has it, the film will be released theatrically in France. We'll see.

Thanks for taking a look.

Chris

mako
10-26-2005, 12:47 AM
Well done Chris

mako

Sebastian Eskildsen
10-26-2005, 03:42 AM
Hi Chris

I was wondering what software you use for editing (video), I guess
you are using Saw for audio.

And congratulation with your debut on the other side of the lens. :)

Sebastian

Bruce Callaway
10-26-2005, 04:06 AM
Congratulations Chris, I also checked out your film history, you have been busy....Cheers

studio-c
10-26-2005, 08:09 AM
Congratulations, Chris. It must be really exciting!

And don't feel weird about mentioning your accomplishments. In fact I'm always really interested in the final products that are coming from the users here. We get so caught up in learning the details of SS, it's nice to remind ourselves that the goal is the finished product. I'd love to hear/see samples of everyone's work here.

I'm also really interested in how people here are doing, businesswise. Audio takes so much knowledge and creativity, and from the threads about very talented people selling off equipment and having slow business times, I think that sharing ideas about niche markets, marketing, and what's working for you to keep the studio busy (kind of a 'best practices' discussion) would be really cool. Maybe not here, but somewhere. Bill Corkery and I (who probably share much of the same client "types" and have actually worked with many of the same people, so technically we'd probably be considered competition) have had a couple of really fun lunches talking about what's working for us here in San Diego, and it's fun to see how everyone approaches their business in slightly different ways that makes every studio unique.

I'd love to see everyone here prosperous and happy.

So now the Way OT is Way Way OT.

But thank you for sharing your project!

Cheers,
Scott

conleec
10-26-2005, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the kind words, guys. I am primarily a feature film picture cutter, and Avid is my tool of choice; particularly if you're working with film-based stuff, I just don't feel the competition has the mature feature set Avid does.

On this feature I didn't do the audio, however, much of the SFX work that I did in Avid transfered over and was used in the final mix. I find lots of sound houses are using the picture editors' tracks these days. And I spend almost as much time cutting sound effects as I do cutting picture for some directors. They like to have it look and sound like a "movie" before we lock it.

I did do a feature late last year where I did the mix as well. That one, unfortunately, hasn't found distribution yet. Hope it wasn't my audio work... :confused:

I did the whole mix in SAWStudio, and was incredibly excited by the process. I used EDL Convert Pro to import the Avid OMFs into SAW. Lots to learn about audio (lots, lots, lots), but given the budget of the film, I think the director got a heck of a job for not much. You should have seen us recoreding ADR in my office with blankets draped floor to ceiling to kill the echoes :rolleyes:

Anyway, if anybody sees "Boo," I'd love to hear your comments -- both picture cut and sound wise. I do know the mixers very well.

BTW, I just saw that "Boo" is available online at Blockbuster.com and I think NetFlix as well.

SoundSuite
10-27-2005, 12:17 AM
http://forums.clanmist.com/images/smilies/beerchug.gif

bcorkery
10-27-2005, 10:19 AM
Just in time for Halloween! Timing is everything. Congratulations.