PDA

View Full Version : System message slowed down input

radiorog
10-30-2005, 12:58 PM
Had an odd thing happen yesterday that almost ruined a session. Maybe someone here can explain it.

I was doing a remote session, getting feed into my laptop from a sound system that fed a PA system in the main room. My system: P4M with 1 gig of RAM, Windows XP w/ SP2. Indigo audio card. Turned off everything I could think of (anti-virus, etc.) since I wasn't hooked up to the Web or any networks.

Everything was going great until some system message popped up on my machine – something about not being able to connect to a network, if I remember correctly. Anyway, I dismissed the message, and immediately noticed that the record meter was responding really slow. I couldn't stop recording to figure it out, so I just went and prayed I was still getting input.

When I reached a break point in the meeting I was recording, I stopped record, then immediately started agin, and everything seemed to be fine from then on.

When I listened to the file later, I discovered that the section of the take from the system message to the end of the take was at about half speed! Everything was there (thank goodness), but slowed down to almost 50%.

I set VariSpeed to 200% and the sound was back to normal – same fidelity, everything fine.

Anyone have any idea what happened? More important, any way to prevent it in the future?

Thanks.

Roger

Craig Allen
10-30-2005, 02:57 PM
Do you have a wireless network adaptor on the machine and was it turned on? If so, I would always turn it off when you use it.

MMP
10-30-2005, 05:30 PM
Windows changed the samplerate of the card when it played its system sound.

In control panel set the sound scheme to No Sound and that should do it.

Regards,

MM