PDA

View Full Version : Versatile mic and pre, advice needed

prosodio
11-04-2005, 07:36 AM
Hello, I´m just using a little behringer mixer with a esi waveterminal 192x soundcard and a dynamic mic. I would like to buy something wich offers me versality in order to record voice, acoustic instruments, amp cabs... I´ve checked slp goldmike, fmr rnp, and for mics mxl v69 ME(tube) and audiotechnica 4033, What do you think about this stuff? Please, I know that great river, neve, api and neumann are first class, I need something more... "mid-end".

Thank you very much in advance.

Greetings

Car 24
11-04-2005, 08:58 AM
For mid-level, I would look at the SafeSound P1. It includes an expander, compressor, highpass filter, limiter, headphone monitor with a 70db mic pre. I think it's in the $600 range. I've used the AT4033 for everything you've talked about. Surprisingly OK on vocals, decent on amps, not my choice on acoustic guitar (workable, depends on how picky you are).

Ian Alexander
11-04-2005, 08:59 AM
I've done VO sessions in studios with AT 4-series mics and they sound great for that use. I have the FMR RNP. I wouldn't use it with anything other than a high-output condenser, because it's a little noisier than others. Sounds very good, though.

mako
11-04-2005, 02:35 PM
Hello prosodio - if you're handy with a soldering iron you might like to check out
http://www.jlmaudio.com/index.htm
for mic pre kits. I think Joe also has some new "built" modules ready to go.

Another mid range (pricewise only) pre is Sebatron - lovely valve warmth.

For a low cost condenser, I recommend trying a KelAudio HM1 - I'm sure you'll be suprised.

cheers

mako

Bruce Callaway
11-04-2005, 03:24 PM
You could also look at the Sytek preamp - http://www.sytek-audio-systems.com/ I have one and it is good value. Check eBay as the owner of the business regularly sells them on eBay however I got a good deal just emailing him directly.

As for mics, Rode and Studio Projects mics are also worth a look. It all depends on your budget.

prosodio
11-04-2005, 04:18 PM
Hi! Thanks for your answers. Mako Kelaudio hm-1 seems a good mic, if I understand right, it´s a small condenser. Do you own one? What abour HM-4? Jlm audio has some nice units but I´m not very handy in soldering and electronics.

Thank you.

Bill Park
11-04-2005, 10:28 PM
Let me make a suggestion.. maybe right now you DON'T need something more 'mid-level'. Because in the grand scheme of things, these ARE mid-level products. I really love the Great River and API and other preamps that I own. I suggest to you that it is worth your while to save a few bucks and buy one, when you can afford them, and don't be in such a hurry to run to GC and spend what you have on some low budget also-ran. When you buy a quality piece, you will never regret it, you will never sell it, and you will always know that you have a quality piece. Low end fads come and go, but the quality gear is forever. When are you going to get it? AFTER you've spent several thousand on things that might get you in the ballpark?

Bill

mako
11-04-2005, 11:37 PM
Hi! Thanks for your answers. Mako Kelaudio hm-1 seems a good mic, if I understand right, it´s a small condenser. Do you own one? What abour HM-4? Jlm audio has some nice units but I´m not very handy in soldering and electronics.

Thank you.

Yes - I own 3 HM1's - I'd heard good things about them and, since I needed to mic up my drums, I ordered 3 and like them very much.

I'm often suprised when I prefer the HM1 on vocals over my Soundelux U195.
My pre's are Quad 8 and Sebatron 4000e.

I find the HM1's are a very true sound - not hyped or flattering.

I'd love to try the HM-4 but the piggy bank is low.

Best wishes

mako

P.S. I did plug the HM1 into my Mackie 1604 one time. No comparison to good pre's.

PaulH
11-04-2005, 11:48 PM
You could also check out ADK's pre-amp. They make good stuff. I have their TT mic and it is great. They have a pre-amp that has switchable modules (here I don't know the right words -- but for a base price of around 600 you can then add/switch the "transistors" of other top end pre-amps). so it has flexibility.

here is the link:

http://www.adkmic.com/AP-1/index.html

Paul

MMP
11-05-2005, 06:37 AM
I was going to write this, but I was worried it might put some retailers out of business. [G]

But, at the risk of sounding elitist, I would save money and get something extraordinary rather than "mid-level". The good stuff retains its value longer and is both a better business investment and better sound investment.

Otherwise, buy a couple of ADA8000s and call it good enough.

But, now I have to get back to my gold lined studio.[G]

Regards,

MM

. I suggest to you that it is worth your while to save a few bucks and buy one, when you can afford them, and don't be in such a hurry to run to GC and spend what you have on some low budget also-ran. When you buy a quality piece, you will never regret it, you will never sell it, and you will always know that you have a quality piece. Low end fads come and go, but the quality gear is forever. When are you going to get it? AFTER you've spent several thousand on things that might get you in the ballpark?

Bill

trock
11-05-2005, 06:43 AM
I Totally agree with Bill and MMP. i am now using an API lunchbox and slowly filling it up with their gear, i have a 512 pre adn a 550 vintage eq running into an RNP and my acoustic and vocals have never sounded better. i also have a peluso 251 mic.

the other thing you need to consider is what "sound" you are going for. my API's work for me because they are really good for my acoustic rock sound. i spent alot of money on avalon gear (M5 and 747) and that didn;t work for me.

so also have a fealer send you some to try first and then make a decidion, i buy from mercenary now

www.mercenary.com

you can ask a guy named fletcher for any help you could possibly need.

AcousticGlue
11-07-2005, 04:54 PM
On the other hand I've had instrument preamp from Avalon that made acoustic-electric sound fantastic. I would want Avalon in my studio if I had the money. But yes, you have to use what is right. I use Roland VG8ex on guitar electric and it works for recordings. All patches are not equal but there are some very good ones.