PDA

View Full Version : MT Zoom Level

Les Woollam
11-05-2005, 01:00 PM
Bob - Is there any way that the zoom-in level in MT could go even further (i.e. into sample view mode)?
I make extensive use of the region editing facilities in MT, and regularly find myself transferring to the SF view to perform 'sample accurate' edits, and then back again to the MT view. While this in itself is no great problem, being able to pin-point the sample in the MT view would shave a couple of seconds off the 'move'. . . and all those seconds add-up :)
There would be no need to be able to adjust the samples in the MT view, just to be able to see them.

Also, one of my F-key views consists of one 'large' single track in the MT window, and, directly beneath it, the SF window. Is it possible to make the SF cursor track along with the MT cursor?

Ian Alexander
11-05-2005, 02:33 PM
Hi Les,
You may remember that if you double-click or press the T key in a region on the MT, the focus will shift to the SF view with the region marked and the SF cursor in the same position in the region. Not the same as tracking with the MT, but saves a lot of hunting. If you then move the SF cursor to another sample, pressing T again, or clicking once in the MT window, takes you to the same sample in the MT. HTH.

Les Woollam
11-05-2005, 04:56 PM
'T' to transfer to the SF view and then clicking back to the MT view is the method I use. What I was looking for is a way of performing sample accurate edits without leaving the MT view.

Bob L
11-05-2005, 07:02 PM
The Sample Edit view is quite a different drawing routine... I have left it out of the MT due to its extra complexity... it is something I may consider for version 4.0.

Bob L

Carl G.
11-05-2005, 08:23 PM
The Sample Edit view is quite a different drawing routine... I have left it out of the MT due to its extra complexity... it is something I may consider for version 4.0.

Bob L
If... Only IF... that won't slow anything down... that would be nice in watching and performing "hand made edits" at "Hand made" zero cross points (sometimes needed....like inside complex wav forms) when it's advantageous to turn off Auto zero Cross points.

MMP
11-06-2005, 06:40 AM
Soundfile view has in many ways out lived its usefulness for the way I work. Long ago, it was the focus of all region editing, but for me that changed as soon as multitrack view offered similar functionality.

There are two things I use Soundfile view for, now:

1. Sample level editing
2. Preview play of library sounds

I wish I didn't need to use SFV for either of these.

I would love sample edit right in MT view, or an automatic switch to SFV at that zoom level.

I dislike that library preview is forced to SFV, because many times the files are playing at the wrong sample rate, which makes judgements next to impossible for sound for picture music & FX selection. This severely limits the utility of library view for me.

So, I would very much be interested in changes in these two areas in 4.0.

Regards,

MM

studio-c
11-06-2005, 08:28 AM
The T key! How cool is that? I've been using a little sequence of double clicking the SF at the desired point, clicking the banner-bar of MT then some other stuff to achieve the same effect. I had no idea there was a key for it. Guess it wouldn't hurt to read the manual... :) It's funny how you just get into little work habits and figure it's good enough. I love this forum!!

Bob L
11-06-2005, 09:33 AM
Michael,

Not sure what you mean by the samplerate problem... SFV should playback the file at its default rate... this should not affect the session you are working on as the rate should be automatically switching with no problem.

Do you not have your soundcard clock set as the master... this will allow SAWStudio to control the rate switching...

When you say you would like to play the library files in the MT... just exactly what track would they attach to? What about effects on the track? There would still have to be some popup view that would play the files... I think the current method makes the most sense.

Bob L

MMP
11-06-2005, 10:22 AM
My system is clocked externally by my Lavry A-D, so no my system doesn't switch sample rates on the fly. Even when it was set to master, the RME card popped when changing between clock rates. I don't think it is unsual to have external clocking in a digital system...but, yes it could work better in this regard if I changed my clocking scheme.

To clarify:

I would like the ability for library selections to play at the session rate using the realtime sample rate conversion at the level set for MT playback. Maybe this could just be added as a player mode in the library with no waveform display at all. I am now remembering that I do sometimes make edit selections from the pop-up SF view window, so your point about what track would be used for preview is well taken. I also understand the orignal idea for SF view was to always play the original data with no manipulation from the program. But, in my instance, I would like to be able to clock externally AND have files play at the right pitch from the library...would a switch make sense?
And, (pushing my luck here) I wouldn't mind seeing a volume control available for Library playback control.

The sample edit request was the same as the original topic.

Regards,

MM

Bob L
11-06-2005, 11:08 AM
Ok... I'll see about adding a level and SRC option to the SFV.

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
11-06-2005, 11:49 AM

Bob L

that would help me a ton as well. Thanks bob

MMP
11-06-2005, 12:57 PM
Bob, thanks a lot!!

MM

Bob L

Carl G.
11-06-2005, 05:46 PM

Bob L
Nice!