PDA

View Full Version : De-esser?

Benje Graves
11-14-2005, 09:28 PM
Any comments on a good de-esser for use in Sawstudio?

Thanks...

Benje Graves

Bob L
11-14-2005, 10:47 PM
Try the built-in compressor using the Key filters... its one of the smoothest de-esser I have heard.

Or use the same features on the Levelizer and then save your de-esser presets.

Set the Hi Key filter to around 7k and the Lo to around 6.5k... you can tweak them around to suit the audio material... press the Key Listen btn to hear what the trigger will be listening to... adjust so the s's are really exagerated... now start adjusting the threshold way down until you see the Gain Reduction meter fire when the s comes thru... you can control how much it pulls and how fast...etc by adjusting the comp settings for the most transparent effect.

Bob L

Benje Graves
11-14-2005, 10:54 PM
Cool... Never thought of that. I use the Levelizer all the time. I will give it a shot tomorrow.

tomasino
11-15-2005, 08:38 AM
N' to fix it before you print it to the drive.
Rotate the mic off axis just ever so slightly to roll off the sibz.

Dave Labrecque
11-15-2005, 10:42 AM
Cool... Never thought of that. I use the Levelizer all the time. I will give it a shot tomorrow.

Benje,

I use the Levelizer for this all the time. Best de-esser I've ever heard.

To further remove engineering skill from the equation (:)): patch in the Frequency Analyzer to see where the siblance is, then adjust the key's upper and lower limits accordingly on the Levelizer or channel compressor. Who needs ears? ;)

I usually go about 12 dB of gain reduction on the most offensive esses. Oh, you'll also want a real quick attack and relatively quick release time and high ratio, like 40:1.

Benje Graves
11-15-2005, 11:34 AM
Thanks Dave! I've been quiet for a while but it's good to be back in the Saw forum world.

Thanks for the Frequency analyzer tip, and I should have thought of the Levelizer before. I try to stay in the Saw world as much as I can.

Carl G.
11-15-2005, 01:56 PM
You can stack levelizers.... putting the Desser one first.... for indepentent adjustment of S's and overall programming, if desired. A big plus here is adjustments are automated... for variance along a track if you need it.

IF you don't need automation... the tool I prefer and found very useful is the DB-Audioware Desser. It has lots of options and can be adjusted to de-ess almost any source transparently. (bandpass, narrow band, wide band, and a Detect freq/Width graph overlayed on graph of Reduction Freq/width/amount along with Detect and reduction meters & monitor switch).