PDA

View Full Version : OT: New Quicktime 7.0.3 a stuttering mess

Arco
12-07-2005, 04:25 PM
Hey,

anyone here have the new quicktime for windows (ver 7.0.3) working...a stuttering mess on my pc.

I've always liked having it because the Pro version handles so many file types and can do quick conversion of the always popular MOV file.

apologies for the OT-ness of this one...i've left messages over at apple support too but i'm guessing the caliber of PC users here is a bit higher ;)

e

Jon Stoll
12-07-2005, 04:29 PM
I had the same experience with it and went back to the previous version. I don't know what is wrong with it, but some programmer really messed it up. I'm sorry you had problems with it, but I'm glad for the confirmation that it wasn't just my machine that had the problem.

Regards,
Jon

Rail Jon Rogut
12-07-2005, 04:40 PM
Right -- the previous version allowed the user to increase the buffer size in the QuickTime prefs.. while this one uses the systenm control panel.

Rail

soundtrack2life
12-07-2005, 04:52 PM
About a week ago I updated from QT 6 to QT 7 and when I went to whatch Bobs video's they were stuttering and playback went to hell after about 15 seconds. I thought the files I DL'd became corrupt on my machine. I have not had a chance to look into it further but I can assume I will be reintalling QT 6. Thanks for the heads up.
Joe

Pedro Itriago
12-07-2005, 05:03 PM
There has been several reports about problems arising from the new quicktime 7 on PC's. On RME's forum they reached the conclusion that it's a problem on apple's side which people feel they're not in a hurry to mend since it's a pc thing.

Personally, apple went to the spyware/bloatware category even though it's not a spyware per se. The impossibility to just install quicktime for HD video viewing and the push to install itunes to achieve this has put it on top of realnetwoks in the highly annoying department. So much so that it has made me appreciate media player

Soon, we'll run out of possibilitites in the video player department

Veit Kenner
12-07-2005, 05:12 PM
The impossibility to just install quicktime for HD video viewing and the push to install itunes to achieve this has put it on top of realnetwoks in the highly annoying department.
Right, this was a real surprise when I went for the update just two weeks ago. I didn't bother too much because I'm using iTunes occasionally, too, but still I did not feel like having a choice at all...

Veit

AcousticGlue
12-07-2005, 05:22 PM
I just use Quick_time alternative codec.

bcorkery
12-07-2005, 11:37 PM
I jumped into QTPro with version 7 and had similar problems. The support sucks on the QT site. As I understand it I can't use my payment to switch to QT6 Pro. I can't get any answers from them.

Quite a departure from our peaceful retreat here.

Thanks.

Pedro Itriago
12-08-2005, 05:47 AM
Does it works with HD video as well?

Carl G.
12-08-2005, 08:27 AM
There has been several reports about problems arising from the new quicktime 7 on PC's. On RME's forum they reached the conclusion that it's a problem on apple's side which people feel they're not in a hurry to mend since it's a pc thing.

Personally, apple went to the spyware/bloatware category even though it's not a spyware per se. The impossibility to just install quicktime for HD video viewing and the push to install itunes to achieve this has put it on top of realnetwoks in the highly annoying department. So much so that it has made me appreciate media player

Soon, we'll run out of possibilitites in the video player department
QT PRO's MOV conversion was nice... until I bought RiverPast's MOV plugin/converter (better quality IMHO).
I do like the RR/FF buttons in QT..... but I'm not a fan of MOV quality.