PDA

View Full Version : Reverb tips for a new guy?

Car 24
12-08-2005, 06:05 PM
I purchased the Spazio reverb. Anyone willing to share some settings that they've found to be good? I'm doing country music demos of our original songs. Vocals have to standout and the words be clear.

Thanks

Jay Q
12-09-2005, 03:25 AM
I purchased the Spazio reverb. Anyone willing to share some settings that they've found to be good? I'm doing country music demos of our original songs. Vocals have to standout and the words be clear.

ThanksHmm. Maybe no one is using Spazio here, Car. In any case, it sounds like you've sort of answered your own question. "Vocals have to standout and the words be clear". If that's your goal, let it guide your decision-making process; don't use a lot of reverb. Thing is, how much to use is a very subjective decision. Of course, it depends a lot on the tune. While there's no clear cut rule, one thing that's good to keep in mind is that you generally don't want the verb to be obvious... a mistake that's common for "new guys". Try to use it to create ambience and a sense of space/depth (distance from listener) rather than using it as an effect, particularly for country. Think less wet with longer decay. Try to make it so you don't notice the verb except in the spaces between notes. If you're just really confused about it, post a sample, and you'll undoubtedly get more specific feedback.

Jay

Ian Alexander
12-09-2005, 05:57 AM
Jay's thinking the way I do, but I do use Spazio. Not on country songs, but car spots. :) Same idea, though. I want the VO to sound bigger and less stuck in the speakers, but not like it's in an empty gym. Also, it has to work in the mix. With the VO soloed, the verb sounds too much. Most of it disappears with the music bed added. Like Jay said, you don't want it obvious, but you want to notice the difference if you bypass it.

As for settings, it depends on the kind of material or the impression you want to create. If it's an intimate piece, maybe a big room or a smaller hall. If it's a big number, a larger hall.

Main thing is, I've never gone back to a mix later and said, "Gee, I wish I'd used more reverb."

dhise
12-09-2005, 06:17 AM
Hey Car, this might be a little advanced for you, but check this out to see how one of the best mixes a country song! They go into some detail on the effects used and why they are used and maybe that will give you some ideas on how to use the effects that you have.

http://emusician.com/mag/emusic_day_life_mix/index.html

Thanks

Car 24
12-09-2005, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the replies. The article is great! I am confused as to why more than one reverb is used on all the sources (including the vocals); especially when everyone says don't use too much reverb.

Anyone have any favorite settings specific to the Spazio plug?

Carey Langille
12-09-2005, 12:39 PM
I love the Platers on the spazio, use then on vocals ALL the time..

Set the mix to 100% when using them in a return, and start with the basic preset... Then adjust the size and color to suit your song, each song is really an new setting, so i dont usually save settings at all, saw saves all setting for the song and thats all i really need....

Warren
12-09-2005, 01:45 PM
I agree with the others, I try to make sure that the reflections settings of the chosen reverb compliment the song as far as the songs timing is concerned, otherwise muddy effects are your result, also less reverb on vox will make it stand out in front because of the delay's used in producing a reverb effect. many different verbs on various insturments can be a mess and a blessing if used correctly, goes back to reflections timing.

less is best, more on blues, clean not muddy you will do fine just listen, then come back later, if its over springy back off on the verb.

The Masters Tracks :)

dhise
12-09-2005, 08:44 PM
Hi Car, glad you liked the article. Multiple reverbs aren't used to drown the tracks in verb, just to make the spaces more interesting. Kinda sounds less artificial when a few different algorythms are processing the tails. Don't be afraid to eq those reverb returns also.

-edit: one more thing, if you want to get into the more lexiconish type of verb, put a chorus after spazio to really smoooooth out the reverb tail...

-Doug