PDA

View Full Version : How to connect Digiface to External Monitors?

DBenkert
12-15-2005, 09:35 AM
I have been using SAW for over a year or so, but in a very limited way. All my work has been done using a Digidesign MBox and headphones.

I am expanding a bit to a Digiface and some Behringer ADA8000's (if I can ever get some, man those are hard to get these days!).

A simple question I think (and am almost embarrased to ask) - how do I hook the Digiface up to play through my external monitors? Do I need to go through a mixer? Do I get some form of Y cable to come from the Line out into my monitors?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Mark Stebbeds
12-15-2005, 09:47 AM
A simple question I think (and am almost embarrased to ask) - how do I hook the Digiface up to play through my external monitors? Do I need to go through a mixer?

Yes, or one of those "big button" monitor devices if you only want to monitor one comuter.p I use a 12 Channel Mackie for monitoring several computer sound card outputs, cost peanuts.. used on Ebay.

Do I get some form of Y cable to come from the Line out into my monitors?

You could, but what a pain in the ***, and you could be affecting the line out quality by splitting it incorrectly.

Mark

IraSeigel
12-15-2005, 12:12 PM
You could take the Line Out of the Digiface into a pair of powered speakers. That's about the simplest. I have a pair of powered Bose that can be used from a Line Out or a Headphone Out (like on the Fireface). Most powered speakers have some sort of volume control.

Ira

DBenkert
12-15-2005, 12:17 PM
Thanks Mark and Ira,

I do have a Mackie 1402 VLZ sitting around I could use I think. My monitors are Event 20/20bas.

So would I take the 1/4 Line out and split to 2 channels on the Mackie (or I could go to 7-8 which is a single fader I believe - haven't used it in a while) and just control the volume that way?

Cary B. Cornett
12-15-2005, 12:20 PM
You CAN go directly from the converter output to a monitor amp (or powered monitor), but it is not a good idea. At the very least, you want some kind of analog volume control so that you can keep from inadvertently blowing something up with an unexpected LOUD NOISE.

If you are only monitoring a single computer, the simplest and cheapest way to do this is to get a "home stereo" preamp/control unit. At one time I used an Adcom GTP 500-II for this. Later I built myself a custom monitor control box. Recently I found a cheap preamp/control unit on Ebay for use "on the road", which I would just hook up with adapter cables from the first two outputs of an ADA8000. WITH shipping, I spent less than $20 for that preamp (it was a no-name unit that no one else wanted). Not fancy, not "top grade" but definitely an excellent investment for the money.

For a more complex setup, a cheap mixer is probably the easiest way to go.

Mark Stebbeds
12-15-2005, 12:35 PM
I do have a Mackie 1402 VLZ sitting around I could use I think. My monitors are Event 20/20bas.

So would I take the 1/4 Line out and split to 2 channels on the Mackie (or I could go to 7-8 which is a single fader I believe - haven't used it in a while) and just control the volume that way?

I take the 1/4 balanced ouptut(s) of my RME ADI-8, as well as my unbalanced onboard soundcard (using a 1/8 stereo to two 1/4 mono adapter), as well as a couple channels of my Pro Tools HD and plug them into seperate line inputs of the Mackie.

Then I take the MONITOR outputs of the Mackie and plug them into my powered Hafler speakers.

I also take the headphone output of the Mackie and plug that into a power amp that drives a small pair of Minimus 7 speakers. I turn the power amp on and off, and the powered speakers on and off to switch between the two.

You can also take the bus outputs or the stereo line outputs of the Mackie and plug them into the inputs of any of your sound cards to mix to another source.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Bob L
12-15-2005, 12:37 PM
A small cheap Behringer mixer makes a great analog volume control for monitors... or any basic stereo preamp before feeding your main power amp or powered monitors.

Bob L

Mark Stebbeds
12-15-2005, 12:38 PM
I am expanding a bit to a Digiface and some Behringer ADA8000's (if I can ever get some, man those are hard to get these days!).
<snip>

how do I hook the Digiface up to play through my external monitors?

Oh, I see...you only have one line output until you get your Behringers.

Yeah, get a stereo to two mono 1/4 adapters. I don't know about your 1402, but my 1202 requires two mono 1/4 on the inputs.

Mark