PDA

View Full Version : Changing Plug-In names

radiorog
12-21-2005, 02:10 PM
Is there a way to change the names of plug-ins displayed in the FX Choices window? Most of the plugs I have are named pretty self-explanatory, but some are downright cryptic. Any way to change the names - at least as they're displayed in the window?

Roger

mako
12-21-2005, 02:38 PM
Roger - I think you'd need to change the dll name.

mako

Craig Allen
12-21-2005, 02:39 PM
I use the grouping function to help keep plug ins organized. By making groups for verbs, dynamics, EQ's, modulation, and most commonly used plugs, it gives me short, easy to manage groups.

Bob L
12-21-2005, 03:00 PM
No direct way to change the names in the list... plugin names are stored in the code... and DX plugs store the names in the registry.

Note that any time the name of a plugin is altered (thru code changes), any past edl using that plugin will doisplay corrupt settings since it no longer finds the original plugin, which is cross linked by name and other data.

Bob L

johndale
12-21-2005, 03:37 PM
I could change the way Sonar seen my VST names with DirectXer. I'm not sure how that option worked. I think SAW is reading the .dll direct, where DirectXer wrapped the VST and sent it to Sonar in that form. I need to email Krill (the devloper) anyhow. Need to ask if I can transfer that licence as coming on board here. I won't be needing DirectXer any longer. I'll ask how he does it. But I think Bob has answered this as for a fact you cannot do it in any other FrontEnd I've used.
John

Cary B. Cornett
12-21-2005, 04:00 PM
You can only alter names for VST plugins, AFAIK. I have actually done this to help me distinguish the plugs that need "skinning" from those that will open directly in SAW. For a VST plugin, you just re-name the DLL. Some cautions about that have been explained elsewhere in this thread.