PDA

View Full Version : In version 4

Kris
12-22-2005, 12:26 PM
Does anyone know if in next version of SAW Studio you will be able to do any editing during playback? Or if that is not possible, how about the option to save while in playback? I think this could greatly increase workflow.
Any info would be great. thank you for your time.

Pedro Itriago
12-22-2005, 01:24 PM
What do you mean by editing, region editing while playback?

Arco
12-22-2005, 01:56 PM
What do you mean by editing, region editing while playback?

I think he means that while an MT is playing back you can shorten a region, or delete a region, or move a whole handful of regions...any of the normal editing maneuvers.

Vegas can do this and it is cool..although, i'm not sure it's the best way to work. it feeds my desire to have 12 plates spinning at all times but i'm not sure listening to a section of the tune down the timeline while editing actually is a desireable thing...I suppose with clients there and you just want to fix a soft-edge without having to start over..?

I use Vegas for video editing and i always breath a big sigh of relief when I'm back in SAW.

Kris
12-22-2005, 02:05 PM
I use the editing during playback in PT all the time, and it saves me a ton of time. I mean you can even consolodate a selection during playback, or preview and edit, or nudge trax all while it is playing back so you don't have to stop, start, stop, start all the time, it all happens in real time (well close anyways) and I was wondering if Bob will ever implement anything like this. If not the editing during playback, it sure would be nice to be able to Save and update your edl during playback, especially while mixing. I will spending a lot of time with Saw studio this year, so please ignore some of my ignorance on the subject as I am sure once I get a little more used to the way it works and the reasons it works that way things will be little easier. (For both you the Saw faithful and me, the Saw virgin)

So far this program is treating me well, except for some automation issues, but I am sure that they are caused by user error, and not the program itself.
You guys have been very helpful to me and I truly appreciate your help in this, my time of adjustment.

TotalSonic
12-22-2005, 02:34 PM
By the way, is there a list anywhere of actual proposed updates, fixes and changes in 4.0?

Bob has been asked this question a few times before on this forum. I believe his reply at that point was that he would like to refrain from posting this as he is trying to integrate a ton of different things but doesn't want to create any expectations that he won't be able to follow through on immediately.

There were extensive posts on this forum a few months ago with lots of longtime user's feature requests. Bob seemed very receptive into considering these & incorporating them where he could. I have a feeling when 4.0 comes out it will be pretty mind blowing. I'd say - just relax - enjoy the power that 3.9i gives you at this moment - and wait a month or 2 or 3. To date every major update has been well worth the wait and minimal fee - and usually features improvements that end users never even imagined.

Having said all that - I also would love to see being able to save during playback. I believe the ability to edit during playback would be much more difficult to code though as it would involve a complete engine rewrite.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

olzzon
12-22-2005, 04:35 PM
I The thing i like the most about saw is the stabillity and effiency of the program.
One of the reasons i think is that the program know whats going on.
As soon as you introduce editing while playing, you´ll have an unknown factor. And you´ll get that loose feeling of the engine.

So if it cost anything for the engine, i´m not in.

Kris
12-22-2005, 05:15 PM
I would agree with the fact the stability of Saw should not be compromised, but it has never been a stability issue for me on PT on Winxp, on mac yes, but that is another thread altogether. Bob is an amazingly smart guy. I mean he created, BY HIMSELF, a whole new way of looking at the DAW. Other software giants have teams of guys (and girls) all working together, and yet still can't make some things work.
Does Bob do Beta testing with SAW? Or does he do it all himself?
Is there a place I can read about how the summing bus works? I would love read about it if its available.

Carlos Mills
12-22-2005, 06:08 PM
Hi All,

I would vote for being able to save during playback.

Bob L
12-22-2005, 08:57 PM
Many issues in the engine design for altering an edl during playback... literally thousands of pointers and buffers are locked down when the engine is active... this makes it pretty tough to do anything as far as changing the edl details.

I am not sure editing during playback is a good idea design wise anyway... I am not sold on it... even though others find it useful... I feel that perhaps it may be useful in other systems because the overall performance of those systems may be quite cumbersome and sluggish in other ways... so doing a few things at once can help get the job done more efficiently... not sure if that really applies to SAWStudio... oh well... at least in my opinion.

Saving during playback may be nice... and possible... althougfh it stil requires allocating more resources and buffers to duplicate others that are locked down... I am not really convinced that the extra load and memory footprint would add all that much useablity to the environment... I mean its a pretty simple thing to stop playback... save in 1 second... and press play again... :)

Bob L

Kris
12-22-2005, 11:05 PM
Bob, I would totally agree that the systems you can both play and edit at the same time are slow and sluggish at times. Unlike SAW which always stays at the same operation speed, until you hit a buffer over run, which I find AMAZING.

But the reason for saving as you go is that while you work sometimes you will make multiple changes to an edl as you go (automation moves, plug in settings ect.) and god forbid there is a crash, which does happen, you lose all of that, and unless you write it down, you have to lose time in trying to recreate those changes, and all of this could be avoided if saving during playback was an option.
Don't get me wrong, it is not that hard to stop and save, but it would be nice to keep on trucking.
I truly apprecieate you taking the time to answer all of my questions first hand, it makes you one of a kind, and the kind of person I feel comfortable trusting. If you say it would change SAW to implent this, for the record, I am against it.
Thank you again.

mako
12-23-2005, 12:03 AM
Sometimes I automatically go to hit save while playing, then realise I'm in SAW. Mmm - ok - stop - save.

I appreciate the fact that this program is trim, taut and terrific.

And WORKS :)

If "save while playing" adds to wasting code resources, then I'm happy to "stop - save".

cheers

mako

UpTilDawn
12-23-2005, 08:12 AM
I find myself using the * key a lot more as I'm listening back to the edits I've just made. Very good for those edits and automation moves for which an undo is not normally written and comforting to know that if Saw or the PC should crash suddenly, I can at least go back to the last undo to recover up to that point. Personally, I'd be happy with more levels of undo/redo.

DanT

Kris
12-23-2005, 09:11 AM
I did not know about the * key. What is that shortcut for? Sounds like it does what I am looking for. I will see if I can find it in the manual.

Kris
Peace.

AudioAstronomer
12-23-2005, 09:54 AM
I did not know about the * key. What is that shortcut for? Sounds like it does what I am looking for. I will see if I can find it in the manual.

Kris
Peace.

Quick save.. more like a "snapshot" function that allows you to recover even after the edit is saved.

Kris
12-23-2005, 10:02 AM
Does this function update (*) the session, or is it more of a recall that you load in? EIther way, that is awesome, and pretty much what I was looking for. Thank you.

Dave Labrecque
12-23-2005, 10:14 AM

Kris
Peace.

Kris,

The * key creates an undo level manually. Useful when you make a change you may want to undo that otherwise would not be written to an undo. Like knob tweaks or before some big session change or series of changes that you're not confident will all be exactly undoable. I don't believe it works during playback, though.

Dave Labrecque
12-23-2005, 10:16 AM
Quick save.. more like a "snapshot" function that allows you to recover even after the edit is saved.

Robert,

I believe even after an edit Save, you can return to previous undo levels, regardless of the * key being used.

Bob L
12-23-2005, 10:25 AM
Many things do not create undo files... tweaking a fader for instance... if it did, dragging a fader down would have to write and undo at each new value... that would create 320 undo files when going from 0db to -inf...

So... the * key allows you to decide when to create an undo file to allow recovery of the session conditions in case you change your mind after performing some of these operations that would normally bog the entire system down if allowed to create undo files automatically.

If you watch the undo history window, you will see what moves create undo files (labeled and time-stamped) and you will note that you can force an undo at any time with the * key.

Very useful to make this keystroke part of your normal work habit.

Undo files are created on disk... therefore they are recoverable weeks or months later... long after you have closed the session and the program and turned off your system.

Bob L

Kris
12-23-2005, 10:41 AM
Dude, that is one of the most amazing ideas I have seen in a DAW! Being able to go back to your undo history weeks, or even months later is crazy! It would seem that the * key is my new best friend!Kris
Peace

Shawn
12-23-2005, 11:51 AM
Dude, that is one of the most amazing ideas I have seen in a DAW! Being able to go back to your undo history weeks, or even months later is crazy! It would seem that the * key is my new best friend!Kris
Peace

Just make sure to set your level of undos accordingly, I have mine set at 20.

I think they can go up to 99.

:)

Dave Labrecque
12-23-2005, 01:29 PM
Is that * saved in your edl, as well as the hard drive?
Or, just on the drive?

The * undo is just like the other undos: essentially a complete EDL copy on the hard drive.

Bob L
12-23-2005, 08:20 PM
The Snapshot command does not update your current edl... it just creates an undo entry and file.

Each undo is a complete edl and can be opened at any time as if it was a session.... just double click from the undo history window... or you can even change the extension in the Windows explorer and open it as a fresh edl.

Bob L

MMP
12-24-2005, 11:14 AM
I think it might be cool to take the snapshot files out of the revolving bin of undos, and make them permanent backup EDLs.

Regards,

MM

Dave Labrecque
12-24-2005, 01:33 PM
I think it might be cool to take the snapshot files out of the revolving bin of undos, and make them permanent backup EDLs.

Regards,

MM

I presume you've heard of "Save Session Copy As..." ? Yeah, you gotta enter a name, but is that so bad?

MMP
12-24-2005, 02:13 PM
Sure, use it all the time.

It just seems like snapshot could be more powerful outside the realm of the automatic saves that get over-written. Maybe shift* makes a save point outside of the normal level of undos.

Regards,

MM

AudioAstronomer
12-24-2005, 03:12 PM
I presume you've heard of "Save Session Copy As..." ? Yeah, you gotta enter a name, but is that so bad?

Whoa... saying one more use input isnt 'that bad'... never thought I'd see the day! :D

;)

Bob L
12-24-2005, 04:24 PM
I would have to say... use the SAVE AS or SAVE COPY AS to do that... its the same thing... you would still have to name it if you want to keep it permanent. :)

We don't need extra invisible commands to explain when they already exist as menu options.

Bob L

MMP
12-24-2005, 08:33 PM
Yeah...I always ask for too much at Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

MM

Naturally Digital
12-24-2005, 09:00 PM
Sure, use it all the time.

It just seems like snapshot could be more powerful outside the realm of the automatic saves that get over-written. Maybe shift* makes a save point outside of the normal level of undos.FWIW, I completely agree with Michael. It isn't a question of adding a command, it's a question of the function. Forcing an undo is one thing but taking a snapshot is a different mentality. I'd prefer to have my snapshots saved as snapshots. A quick, one button alternative to saving an edl copy. Forcing an undo just sounds like a sort of band-aid fix for something. Very subtle differences I'll admit, but worth mentioning IMO.

Carl G.
12-24-2005, 10:16 PM
FWIW, I completely agree with Michael. It isn't a question of adding a command, it's a question of the function. Forcing an undo is one thing but taking a snapshot is a different mentality. I'd prefer to have my snapshots saved as snapshots. A quick, one button alternative to saving an edl copy. Forcing an undo just sounds like a sort of band-aid fix for something. Very subtle differences I'll admit, but worth mentioning IMO.
There already exists a ONE KEY solution!!

"ALT + S"

Works for me every single time!

The NEXT REAL ONE KEY I'm looking for is "CLICK"
(as in CLICK on "Save File As" .... for downloading Version 4.0!!!!!)

HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS, BOB....
Thanks for YEARS of Christmas Presents (that last throughout each year!)

Dave Labrecque
12-27-2005, 12:56 PM
FWIW, I completely agree with Michael. It isn't a question of adding a command, it's a question of the function. Forcing an undo is one thing but taking a snapshot is a different mentality. I'd prefer to have my snapshots saved as snapshots. A quick, one button alternative to saving an edl copy. Forcing an undo just sounds like a sort of band-aid fix for something. Very subtle differences I'll admit, but worth mentioning IMO.

So you guys are talking about essentially a Save Copy As... function that is triggered by a key combo and has some kind of incementing auto-naming action? (otherwise, it'd get overwritten, of course) Just trying to clarify.

Dave Labrecque
12-27-2005, 12:59 PM
Whoa... saying one more use input isnt 'that bad'... never thought I'd see the day! :D

;)

Ouch. ;)

I guess the way I work, as infrequently as I use Save Copy As..., it's not that bad to enter a name. Sounds like MM wants to use it a lot more often, though. And I feel the same way as him about things that I use more often. There. Am I consistent? Have a saved face? Or am I tap dancing? :D