PDA

View Full Version : OT: What is XP Media Center Edition 2005 ?

DannyV
12-24-2005, 01:40 PM
Saw-ers,
What is XP Media Center Edition 2005 ? It seems that
most of the advertised Boxes and Laptops come with it installed. Are we, I wonder, going to get stuck with it 'til
death do us part? Is it going to be a problem like ME? Is anyone using it now? If so, does it cause problems with Digital Audio or anything else which might cause ulcers?
I've always been able to count on Saw-ers and you are
my first line of defense. Bob? :confused:
Oh, BTW Happy and/or Merry to all regardless of political correctness. Be well, stay warm. Thanks. :cool:

Danny Vaccaro

DannyV
12-26-2005, 09:28 AM
Stashu,
Thanks for the info, Stashu. I'm really surprised that out of the 60 views you were the only one to respond. Perhaps
todays Saw-ers are settled into a groove with Studio in
Win 2K (as I am) and do not feel the need to look at what's new, good or bad. As OT as it was I appreciate your assessment. Happy New Year to all Saw-ers great and small.
Later,

Danny Vaccaro
Saw since 92/3 :D

studio-c
12-26-2005, 10:20 AM
I saw a computer running it in our local computer shop, and thought it was very cool. I'd definitely like to get it on a system that I'm not using for audio.

For my workstation though, I'm really suspicious of background tasks interrupting the critical tasks at hand. As I mentioned at one point, when my editors surf the web or write emails while burning master CDs, I cringe. So maybe I'm overly protective.

We have 3 Tivos in our house, and I'd love to burn some of my fave BBC stuff to DVD, which seems like it would be a natural for Media Center.

So in short, I love it, but probably not on my DAW.

DannyV
12-26-2005, 12:04 PM
Studio-C,
Thanks for the viewpoint. I agree with the idea of B/G
tasks interrupting critical fu. My Audio box is still Win 2K
although I did build an XP Pro. box which was a PITA up
to SP2. Thank the gods for Autopatcher for its easy update
of critical stuff. Be well, stay warm.
Later,

Danny :D

studio-c
12-27-2005, 10:23 AM
Thank the gods for Autopatcher for its easy update
of critical stuff
What's Autopatcher? (I feel another download purchase coming on!)

DannyV
12-27-2005, 02:41 PM
Studio-C,
NO purchase necessary. The following quote is from the site...........

"AutoPatcher is a comprehensive collection of patches, addons and registry tweaks that give you peace of mind in the knowledge that your Windows system is up to date, even before you connect it to the Internet. It's designed to quickly patch a system with the most current updates and tweaks available, and requires no user interaction once you have selected what to install."

Check out
http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showforum=89

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php
showtopic=409564
I've used it for 2K, SP4 and XP Pro SP2 and still keep the D/L for future use. Have fun. ;)

Later,

Danny

mghtx
12-27-2005, 02:58 PM
It's basically all the stuff that should have been included in the first place? :D

(Microsoft worker: "Don't worry about it now, we'll just make a patch for it later.) :)

studio-c
12-27-2005, 10:56 PM
Studio-C,
NO purchase necessary. The following quote is from the site...........
Danny
Thanks Danny for giving me back the hours and hours of my life that I would have had to spend messing with this. I owe you a beer. I owe a lot of people here a beer. :)