PDA

View Full Version : Remote tcp/ip on 2 computers

rbhsjr
12-25-2005, 10:09 AM
The thread on recording confidence got me wondering if I use ssl for sound reinforcement if I can use the remote to control both computers? I would have my signal split at the ada's into both and that way if my main computer goes south a quick switch of the outputs to the amps and I'm going without having to redo every volume , eq, etc. Does SSL's remote work this way or can it (please)?

Thanks
Rutherford

Bob L
12-25-2005, 11:51 AM
The remote can only link back to 1 master host...

But the host can talk to 8 slaves.. this is the way to do it... the slaves will start all at the same time... and if the master machine goes down, the slaves will keep going... and you can then control them each individually until you can stop and then make one of them the new Host / Master for the rest of the session.

Bob L

rbhsjr
12-25-2005, 12:18 PM
So the slaves will do exactly what the host does? (not just start and stop) So if I tweak the eq on the remote on track 1 which controls the host, the same thing happen to track 1 on the slaves?

Thanks
Rutherford

Bob L
12-25-2005, 11:05 PM
No... read the details in the helpfile on the TCP/IP section... slaves work independently in many ways... although they are linked to start and stop in sync.

Bob L

brent
12-27-2005, 11:43 AM
I have never tried this with any capable DAW. Has anyone here used this feature, and if so, how much verifiable difference was there sharing CPU resources? Did it actually slow down the system at all?

Now that we have quad processor machines, and options for up to 8GB of RAM in a PC, I am wondering if there would be a need for sharing resources.

Thanks.

Naturally Digital
12-27-2005, 07:14 PM
Now that we have quad processor machines, and options for up to 8GB of RAM in a PC, I am wondering if there would be a need for sharing resources.Try mixing a large project at 96kHz samplerate.