PDA

View Full Version : PageUp/PageDown keys

Naturally Digital
12-28-2005, 09:37 PM
Hi Bob,

Would you consider swapping the functions of the PageUp/Dn keys with Shift-uparrow/dnarrow in the Multitrack view?

AudioAstronomer
12-28-2005, 09:40 PM
uh.. why?

Id assume there's a good reason... I use that command constantly (quick in and out) and if im gonna be confused to death I'd at least like to think it's a sacrifice for a better cause. :o

TotalSonic
12-28-2005, 11:14 PM
uh.. why?

Id assume there's a good reason... I use that command constantly (quick in and out) and if im gonna be confused to death I'd at least like to think it's a sacrifice for a better cause. :o

I agree with Rob here - I kind of like the way things are already...

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Naturally Digital
12-28-2005, 11:16 PM
Mainly because I would prefer a single-key page flip instead of using a modifier. I can certainly see both sides of this... arrow moves the hottrack one track, shift-arrow moves it one page... logical yes. It's just that I use this a fair bit also and pageUp/Dn makes more sense to me and may be more intuitive to new users.

OTOH, feel free to forget I even asked this because when I put this much thought into it, I want to redesign a bunch of keys as concerns the arrows and home/end etc.

It's getting about time for an X-Key for me I guess.

Naturally Digital
12-28-2005, 11:28 PM
I agree with Rob here - I kind of like the way things are already...Yeah, it's natural to resist change. :p:rolleyes:

I don't know the history behind these key assignments (I wasn't around back then) but to me, the keys for hottrack navigation vs. cursor control are a little... uh, 'intermingled'.

If it were up to me, I'd have used Home/End/PageUp/PageDn/uparrow/dnarrow for hottrack navigation and use the left/right arrows (plus modifiers) for cursor movement. Instead of (or in addition to) using a modifier key, I'd probably assign backspace for RTZ.

No biggie, just something I've often wondered about.:)

Bob L
12-29-2005, 12:12 AM
There is a lot to consider with assigning keys for consistency... home and end make a lot of sense to jump around within the session timeline... plus to select and mark... etc... thge key assignments have to also work for mixer views and soundfile views... etc... it is pretty well established as it is... and works pretty nicely, in my opinion.

I have a feeling these things will stay as is. :)

Bob L

Tim Miskimon
12-29-2005, 01:00 AM
I recently upgraded Sound Forge to the latest 8.0 version mainly for the batch converter but the other feature is the ability to change keyboard commands - so now I can change the commands to match many of SAW's - very cool!!!

olzzon
12-29-2005, 07:03 AM
Mainly because I would prefer a single-key page flip instead of using a modifier. I can certainly see both sides of this... arrow moves the hottrack one track, shift-arrow moves it one page... logical yes. It's just that I use this a fair bit also and pageUp/Dn makes more sense to me and may be more intuitive to new users.

OTOH, feel free to forget I even asked this because when I put this much thought into it, I want to redesign a bunch of keys as concerns the arrows and home/end etc.

It's getting about time for an X-Key for me I guess.

You could use the scrollwheel, shift scrollwheel gives you that, with one hand on the mouse and one on....

Bob L
12-29-2005, 11:31 AM
People have a hard enough time learning the hundreds of command features right now with them listed and explained in the helpfile... how ridiculous do you think it would be to allow every command function to be altered so everyone uses a different key combination to try to operate the same functions... I find that to be a horrible idea for anything but the simplest of interfaces.

The complexity of the non-overlapping interaction of all the functions and their subtle alternate functions all intertwined between the multiple views and operational modes is a very dautning task to hand over to every casual or even astute user of the environment... no way am I a proponent of that concept. :)

Bob L

Dave Labrecque
12-29-2005, 01:05 PM
People have a hard enough time learning the hundreds of command features right now with them listed and explained in the helpfile... how ridiculous do you think it would be to allow every command function to be altered so everyone uses a different key combination to try to operate the same functions... I find that to be a horrible idea for anything but the simplest of interfaces.

The complexity of the non-overlapping interaction of all the functions and their subtle alternate functions all intertwined between the multiple views and operational modes is a very dautning task to hand over to every casual or even astute user of the environment... no way am I a proponent of that concept. :)

Bob L

How 'bout a way for users to change the code to make SAW emulate their favorite DAW? It'd be cool, for example, if I could use SAW as if it were Pro Tools or Nuendo. Maybe in 4.0?

Mark Stebbeds

:p

Bob L
12-30-2005, 10:17 AM
Sorry... much too much time involved chasing all that down for my tastes.. :)

Frankly not interested in using SS like PT or any other DAW... I created SS because I did not like the other DAWs... I have no interest in emulating what I don't like. :)

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
12-30-2005, 10:19 AM
emulating what I don't like. :)

There's a phrase for that.. "Make fun of". hehe

Cary B. Cornett
12-30-2005, 01:39 PM
People have a hard enough time learning the hundreds of command features right now with them listed and explained in the helpfile... how ridiculous do you think it would be to allow every command function to be altered so everyone uses a different key combination to try to operate the same functions...

The complexity of the non-overlapping interaction of all the functions ... is a very dautning task to hand over to every casual or even astute user of the environment... no way am I a proponent of that concept. :)

Bob L

I have to say I'm with Bob on this one. Many of us, sooner or later, hit a wall with some detail of the SS UI and need to ask for advice (I know I have). Keeping the rules consistent means that all Bob (or anyone else who knows) has to do is refer to that one set of rules to give a definitive answer. Imagine if a question about "how do I?" had to be answered with "well, which set of rules are you using? Standard? Left-Handed? Aussie? Hebrew? Upside Down And Backwards In A Mirror? or Custom Exotic? and what variation of above? can you send a complete file list of all your UI mods?" etc.

I will readily grant that I have not found all aspects of the SS UI entirely intuitive, but the Exact Definition of What Constitutes Intuitive is largely a matter of the Culture that an individual has grown up with... and these days SAW is all over the world.

I am content to let SAW carve out its own niche as a "common operational language" that we all have to learn by the same rules.